Ph.D. Scientist bored of profession needs a new direction

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Ph.D. Scientist bored of profession needs a new direction

Postby omelette » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Actually, I find it quite intriguing! I love Hawaiian Aloha shirts and if I knew how would design my own line... with a twist.
omelette
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tui » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Perhaps your next step could be to find out how to design Hawaiian shirts. It might be the 'wrong thing', and that doesn't matter. It's more about confirming your commitment to taking a new direction. To check out the history and culture behind the colours, flowers, motifs on such shirts. To find the process of making common shirts and quality shirts. The fabrics used. To immerse - and re-ignite your own fascination. To follow up on the leads and curiosity tweaks. To boldly go where no omlette has gone before. Sometimes an answer to ho-hum will be staring you in the face. Sometimes a disaster comes by to cut down the number of choices on offer. And sometimes you just have to start with whatever is to hand, be prepared to let it pass away as you get to a 'different space in the heart-head' and find the generic of what puts you into the ego-denying love that lets you cope with hard times and sticky patches. (This is not romance and red roses. This is sleepless nights with a sick kid-type 'love'. Whatever it takes.) If you look for 'off the peg' answers as you work the transition you've brought up you'll never enjoy custom-made - a life crafted to suit your Self. PS Hibiscus and hummers on the shirt, please.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 am

Hi, omelette, I could help you with designing your own line. For example, if you had the motifs and colors you wanted to use, I could put them into a repeat and tell you the best way to print your fabric. As for the structural pattern of the shirt, a bit of reverse engineering might be a good start if you can stand taking a shirt with a fit near what you would like apart. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby omelette » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 am

Wow, I can't believe how much creative brainstorming is on this list! I really thank and appreciate everybody's insights. I hope I can contribute after I work my way out of my uncertainty. I sat down and did an exercise from Barbara's book... listing out all my past and current interests then looking for the thread. Here's my list: Subjects I love(d) and am/was good at (in no special order): Graphs and Charts (sometimes I'll just sit and design a nonsense graph for fun) Graphic Arts Cartooning, drawing, painting Humanities (Art and Music) Photography Ecology Limnology Maps Presentations Accounting Copywriting Music (folk, jazz, French) Fly-tying Woodcarving Graphics Programming Bright-colored clothing (Aloha shirts, Converse high-tops) Christian Church History (where did practices and traditions come from?) Learning styles in education Trigonometry Infographics History in the form of artifacts, tools, traditional costumes, and way of life Most everything has to do with visuals and relationships (graphs, charts, diagrams, tables & spreadsheets) applied to history. Am I seeing the pattern?
omelette
New Poster
New Poster

Postby omelette » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 pm

OK, the thing that constantly comes to my mind is I have always wanted to be a cartoonist in the vein of Charles Schultz (Charlie Brown) and Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes). :idea: Sure I loved others, but these left a lasting impression and warm fuzzies. So today I have decided I am a cartoonist. :lol: I'm off on my new adventure! (Don't worry, I haven't quit my job. In fact, I'm reading biographies of cartoonists who started out drawing in their spare time until they got going. Maybe I'll always do it spare time, but I will be living my dream!)
omelette
New Poster
New Poster

Postby shparks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 pm

omelette wrote:OK, the thing that constantly comes to my mind is I have always wanted to be a cartoonist in the vein of Charles Schultz (Charlie Brown) and Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes). :idea: Sure I loved others, but these left a lasting impression and warm fuzzies. So today I have decided I am a cartoonist. :lol: I'm off on my new adventure! (Don't worry, I haven't quit my job. In fact, I'm reading biographies of cartoonists who started out drawing in their spare time until they got going. Maybe I'll always do it spare time, but I will be living my dream!)
I wanted to be a cartoonist when I was a kid. I actually drew and sold my own weekly comics. I was into it some as an adult too. Sometimes I would run into old friends from school and they would ask me if I still drew comics. Calvin and Hobbes is my all-time favorite newspaper comic strip. I was sad when Bill Watterson retired. I always thought that Calvin and Hobbes should make a comeback as a graphic novel, so that it would not be restricted by the newspaper format.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:51 am

That's interesting because I drew cartoons as a kid, too. I was fascinated by animation and how it worked. I became "famous" in junior high and high school as the class artist, and that's partly what pushed me into going to college for art. It's just something everyone thought I should be doing.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby omelette » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:34 pm

I have always wanted to be a cartoonist
OK, that didn't last long... So I sat down and wrote out exactly what I want from a work life (using very precise language): A career for a right-brained INFP that melds physical or life science with visual and aural design to solve abstract 3-dimensional problems and situations using diagnostic (as opposed to logical) reasoning and high idea flow (ideation) and giving me a schedule where I can set my own hours. Does anybody have any clues where to even begin solving this desire?
omelette
New Poster
New Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Now that I am older I am less interested in drawing, and more interested in writing and voice acting for animation.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Idea Parties