Consulting fitness and/or nutrition in Canada

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Consulting fitness and/or nutrition in Canada

Postby cosmogirl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 am

Hello everybody! I am searching for ideas how to help people in canada with their fitness and nutrition (I am a nutritionist and a certified sports scientist from germany who is going to canada for a year or longer if possible). It could be a job or something that i do beneath my money-earning-job, to make experiences. Do you know any organisations, groups, government projects? Do you have a contact with experiences in this field? Any other ideas, how to combine my future life plan with my passion (helping people, healthy lifestyle and work as a consultant)? Thanks for helping me! cosmogirl
cosmogirl
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Consulting fitness and/or nutrition in Canada

Postby Open_Mind_Canada » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am

Hello, yes I have contacts with people working in this field. I have been a personal training client and gym member at GoodLife Fitness for some time. With a team of established experts and companies in the different disciplines involved, I developed a Lifestyle Program business concept and offered it to the company, but they did not adopt it. It was a 1 year 'package' program involving coaching in self-management and goal setting, nutritional counselling and diet planning, and 6 months of 3X weekly personal training for middle-aged mid- and upper-income clients and their employers. What part of Canada do you plan to locate in? Can you describe more about your skills (health/fitness and inter-personal) and talk more about your personal passions in the heath and fitness domain? Have you ever considered being an entrepreneur? What additional knowledge and skills do you want to develop in a work context? What are some of your past accomplishments? Cheers, David PS Coincidentally, where I live in Kitchener, Ontario, there is a significant German-speaking community. We have North America's largest Oktoberfest every year. Kitchener was named Berlin until the outbreak of WWI.
Open_Mind_Canada
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Consulting fitness and/or nutrition in Canada

Postby cosmogirl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 am

Dear David, your idea is brilliant and maybe it is just not the right time for Canada or the companies werent big enough to pay for this program... In big german companies it is common to offer your employees programs like this (but just for a few weeks or just single disciplines). I know one group of experts who are working for the automobile industry for example and combine nutrition with mental coaching and fitness, and and and (they can "bundle" a package). If you need some inspirations about how other countries are working in this field or if you have a detailed question I am sure that I can make a contact or ask by my self for you... So I studied sports and was always interested in sports and fitness and how to stay healthy. My other passion is everything around language (german - until now ;-)). In the beginning I followed a career where language was most important (editorial, public relations). A year ago I recognize (and after I read BShers book) that this wasnt enough or exactly what I wanted to do, because I couldnt be active. Writing about sports and nutrition is not enough, I also want to DO it, to work directly with people. During work I studied nutrition to get the qualification and a better chance (in germany it is better to have qualifications) to combine these two fields and make myself an entrepreneur. I found a wonderful possibility to work with my Ex-Professor for sports and nutrition and do nutrition courses in companys (the health insurance funds in germany are subsidizing this). So I just wanted to travel before I get "serious" (another dream of my life). Now I fell in love with Canada and search for a way to follow my career dreams and stay in canada for a while (depends on my visa possibilities). I am planning to go to BC. But it is not set right now. One major obstacle is: As I am not a canadian I wont get a second visa after april 2010 if i dont find an employer who is willing to sign papers for me. The government is not accepting entrepreneurs without a huge amount of capital). And they want to know why I am important and can not be replaced with a canadian (good for you, bad for me :-)) Do you have any ideas, where to search, who to ask to find a job where a I can be employed? Thank you so much for your time and ideas Nadine
cosmogirl
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Idea Parties