w:have my invention produced o:no confidence, don't know how

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

w:have my invention produced o:no confidence, don't know how

Postby ideamim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm

I've got a really good idea, one that if I don't produce it I know someone else will think of eventually. Maybe someone is working on it already. It's marketable, everyone will want it, and it would be cheap to produce. Plastic is the right material for it, especially in some recycled form. But I don't know where to begin. Lots of sites on the internet preying on inventors -- and this makes me think everyone and their grandma is inventing something and who's going to listen to me? I just can't shake this low confidence fog although you should hear me tell my friends about all my great ideas, and they really are brilliant! Any ideas for getting a new product launched?
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: w:have my invention produced o:no confidence, don't know how

Postby tui » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Is your idea still just an idea? Have you, personally, moved it from head to hand? You've made up a prototype. You've created a manufacturing blueprint. You know what sort of equipment is needed to turn it out. You have some idea of which sort/s of plastic would be needed. You've found out who actually uses that kind of plastic, already has the systems in place for producing similar items, has a distribution network - and a good reputation. The brutal truth is - your product will not be wanted or bought by everyone. Never. However, if you have a clearer picture in mind of how your idea could solve a particular problem for a particular group of users; and you can find a set of marketers who already serve that client-group, and can see how it would profit them to add your idea to their product lines - then you are starting to see the larger 'food chain' - and can tailor your idea/proposals to suit. If your idea does come to life somewhere, it is more likely that someone currently working in an area with customers who have the want you're trying to fill, has developed it as an extension of, or adaption of, or lateral shift from existing products. Parallel thinking is quite common. No conspiracy thinking need apply. The idea will best make money for the person who connects it to an effective system for production and promotion and distribution to the customers who really want a solution that 'looks like that' - and will gladly exchange money for the results they're wanting.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tyretiredwave » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 pm

I am taking a class on how to start a business on the internet. It's a great class and walks you through the process step by step. It's not as easy as it looks but not as hard as you would think. There are all kinds of questions you need to ask yourself, how am I going to get financing, what is my brand name, what is my logo, what is my marketing plan, am I going to sell on the internet? One of the things we have been told to watch out for is, you find a manufacturer and then they steal your idea. Make sure to apply for a patent before you do anything, you have a year from then to make sure your idea is origional and no one else is doing it. You will need to hire a patent lawyer to do the research. One of the things I did when I was laying down my business model was to search the internet and see if anyone had already produced my product. When I looked at the web-sites I found one but it was discontinued (meaning it didn't sell at the price point they wanted :x ) Then I put together a price list of the materials and found that it would be very expensive to produce at the price I wanted to sell it for, making it, a no go for me. I don't want to sound negative, just realistic. There have been plenty of people that just started selling on the internet and grew from there. Good luck to you and I wish you luck.
Terri Dogs have masters, cats have staff
tyretiredwave
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ideamim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks Tui and Terry, I appreciate your taking the time to give me such thoughtful feedback. I have sketches and an idea for how to put the prototype together. It would be made of plastic and no, I don't know what gauge or chemical combination or whatever. I googled and found that it has not been made, although a vaguely similar concept is out there. Mine would be cheaper and simpler. I met a patent attorney at an art class but didn't follow up - still could do that. I found a whole bunch of "invention help" websites, but I don't know if they really give you the help you need for a reasonable price. Does anyone have experience with that? And please understand, with my sincere appreciation, that I really do know not "everyone" will buy one. There's plenty of time for hard truths but in my experience it doesn't actually protect me to lower my expectations early on, just has me lose steam. I'd love to hear any ideas at all, even crazy ones, but would you hold off on opinions for now? No disrespect intended. Thanks again, Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:33 am

Hm, is there like an Inventors Association where you live? In our country, there is one, and you can ask for help and guidance. There's even been a program for 'Young Inventors'. There's also local help for business start-ups, check it out.. You can get a lot of legit info without actually revealing anything. Or you could try to get a mentor who's been through similar processes or something..? Read articles/interviews on successful inventors or interview them, how they went/go about things..? Many might be happy to tell...? (At least in the general way.) Also, if you're thinking 'recycled plastics' you might want to connect with people who, well, recycle plastic. (A recycling plastic plant is being built in Wales, for example.) And get informed about the different plastics, to see what would be the best match, due to characteristics of material. Where we live there's also a Chemical Institute, and online there's a lot of info about different plastics. #1 & #2 are most often recycled (plastic bottles). I'm not a fan of plastics, all those recyclables better get recycled though! Currently the recycling industry is in big trouble, as the demand for recyclables is low due to economic 'crisis' - so if you really produce something fun & exciting 'everyone would want' (meaning, a lot of people) it would be very appreciated, I guess, especially if it could be produced cheaply and in an environmentally friendly way, reused many times, and then later on recycled again.
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby momof3plus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:16 pm

only slightly older post... There are programs out there where you can write up your patent and send it in. First step is to check out the uspto.gov and see if it exists. I beleive it has to be a certain percentage different from whatever is out there that is similar to it. Another step that's needed is to have drawings of your item, *in detail*, so that's something you could start on right away. If it's something that is mechanical/electrical and has moving parts you may want to check out CAD designers/operators who can make a 'working' model of your product to show how it works.. It takes a long time for a patent to be granted, but while you are waiting you can label your product 'patent pending' and start finding manufacturers to make it. Inventor's magazine is a GREAT resource. My fatherinlaw is an inventor with several patents, but hasn't yet gotten any of them into production, but it's in the process, slowly. Hope that helps!
Be YOU Again.
www.mombodysoul.com
momof3plus
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby pattyn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:34 am

Anyone with an invention might want to take a look at this: http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/b ... ng-pitchtv
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tbone » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I know how you feel. I have spent the last 5 years developing my products that are now in stores and recently a national catalog. I would love to offer any information that would help you out and hopefully help you avoid many unnecessary expenses.... ESPECIALLY ALL OF THE MISTAKES OR CONSIDERATIONS only learned from having gone through it all... and i do mean ALL... the "inventors councils" "inventors ANYTHING" --NOT a good idea in my opinion. There is SO MUCH involved-- from protecting your idea (what steps to take...timing on WHEN /HOW to do them)... spending money on patent attorneys, trademarks, domain names etc....again WHEN and-- IF --are HUGE to consider. Through all the years it took, by myself, from lightbulb moment to actually getting a real product--it was a series of roller-coaster emotions --and I thought I was through with the "hard part" ... and then comes Distribution--a whole other animal ; } As I said, I have actually realized getting an idea to product (and mine is plastic as well-- all that goes into choosing how something gets manufactured, where to go, how to know the best pricing for me has been a trial and error process...and unnecessary dollars spent) If I could be of help to someone to not have to go through even some of it, I would be happy. I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is that you don't think of all that is entailed until it arises...so talk to as many people who have done it, but always use an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) if you do. The crazy thing is though, is that "inventors" or idea people are so wrapped up in their stuff --I can see why I got the brush off or minimal info at my early attempts. Being a woman in my mid 40's, struggled with being a "Jill of all Trades" for so long...and FINALLY deciding to go for this idea, no matter what, until I had a real product ready to sell, has been tremendously challenging. However, I want to offer that it really is the process, the journey and not just the destination. One step I did do early on to gain confidence, was to join Toastmasters. I have sat in on a few different ones in my area and I can say that anywhere I went, I was surrounded by incredibly authentic, encouraging people. As Barbara Sher says: " isolation is the dream killer" --and I have just recently found her work --I am in the middle of finding out that I am a "Scanner" --from her book Refuse to Choose and figuring out my own next steps regarding being a serial idea person. My best wishes to you and anyone else out there petrified at what to do first or where to go with their product ideas!
tbone
New Poster
New Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 am

Thone, you should write a book or booklet or blog or something about your experiences. There are a LOT of us out there who would pay for that advice. I too have invented several business concepts or products, none of which has had more than limited success yet, but the process was so fun to let my creativity try to spill into a real sale-able product. I have a million dollar idea once a week. The ideas are easy. It's the execution that's hard. I also have a plastic product I would love to develop, patent and manufacture, but have no idea how to go about it. My other ideas were things that I could do myself or publish from my kitchen table. Something like this involves much more and a serious injection of cash before you ever have one piece of product ready to go.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tbone » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 am

Urbanpioneer, your blind-faith in my abilities is heartwarming: ) .... I have so many thing I want to do, but somehow I have jumped into this online help board --I guess because I am so thankful for Barbara and her work, I would love to help people avoid, even one, lonely, desperate feeling of confusion in the midst of the flip-side of utter joy in their own idea/project. It sucks. ...and you are right, the "serious injection of cash " can be daunting. I would be happy to offer any help to you regarding your plastic product, if you want to contact me..(not for pay) I think there is somewhere to hit "send email" ? ...but I am new here. All the best, Tbone
Last edited by tbone on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbone
New Poster
New Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:53 pm

You send a private message by clicking on the little box at the bottom called "PM". It stands for private message. Someday if I have time to take my invention seriously, I'll take you up on it. Thanks.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties