w: Start the Center for Indigenous Wisdom O: No idea how.

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

w: Start the Center for Indigenous Wisdom O: No idea how.

Postby RubyDragonfly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am

My wish is to found the Center for Indigenous Wisdom, which would preserve, protect, and promote the cultural wisdom of indigenous cultures, worldwide. Obstacle: I have very little money and I have no idea how to begin such an undertaking. The only thing I do know is that the land is in Canada, and I am in the U.S. Any ideas?
RubyDragonfly
New Poster
New Poster

Re: w: Start the Center for Indigenous Wisdom O: No idea h

Postby nordlicht » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 am

Can this Center also be an online center as well - like a forum, a blog, ...?
nordlicht
New Poster
New Poster

Postby mango » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am

Could you check with government agencies for grants, etc.?
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby VeeJay » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 am

The Native Alaskan Cultural Center opened in Anchorage, AK while I was living there. I made it to a grand opening day and haven't been able to get there since. People there may be of assistance in getting a "fellow" center started. It seems more like support and collaboration, not competition like in a business.
http://www.alaskanative.net/
VeeJay
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

I agree. If, as I'm assuming, you're thinking of a location before the activity, you might consider a this:

1) Start the activities that matter to you. Ask for help from people who like your idea.

2) Find other groups that do some part of this. See what you like and what you'd want to do differently. Join them or attend their meetings or sign up for their newsletters and read their websites and blogs.

3) Build a following, and a mailing list.

4) See if you can create a volunteer force of people who are passionate about your idea and want to help preserve cultural treasures of every kind.

5) Do some recovery projects (and make sure there are photographers from the newspapers and online wide-circulation magazines there).

6) Try to stay in the public eye with ongoing reports, press releases, speaking engagements, etc.

6) When you've built a community of dedicated people, I think someone will donate land (if you really feel you need it). (And if I read your wish and obstacle correctly.)

or

7) Take your whole show on the road, travel through the U.S. holding small fairs to bring the riches of these cultures to people who don't know about them - a kind of Lolapalooza-type traveling summer event.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am

Start small.
Start where you are.
Use other people's money.
First step: start finding other people who care about indigenous wisdom and ask them what they think the center should accomplish. They will be a lot more likely to part with their money if they feel it's the organization/place they would have created if they had the time and energy to do the work you will do.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Possible ideas:

If you do the Indiegogo project Barbara was talking about on Hanging Out. You could ask for the money for a computer and internet access for a year. Then you could start your project on line as a virtual center as it were. And you could collect legends, traditions, etc. and post them on line. Then later they'd be there for a physical Center.

Also, you could get involved with other museums and groups that display indigenous art etc. I know there's such a museum in Vancouver. (Fascinating, by the way.) I'm sure there are others. Working with a museum that already exists would mean that you wouldn't have to come up with any money :D, and you could get creative.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 am

We're getting ready to launch the 'How To IndieGoGo' over at Hanging Out, so everyone can learn how to do it if they need funds. I think we'll be starting just by sending everyone over there to look at the IndieGoGo site and see how they describe it. Once we set it up, everyone is welcome, of course. I mention it here because I believe that rubydragon will be our first test crowdfunding. :-) We don't know exactly what we're doing, but enthusiasm should help and we have a couple of veterans at crowdfunding are giving us a head start.

Has anyone heard of offering as incentives or gifts (You know, what you get if you donate $5, and if you donate $25, etc.) a bunch of donated things? I read about it somewhere. I'm considering donating the Turkish kilims we wove a few years ago that I've never had the time or energy to sell. Like, "if you donate $25 you get one of this size" or some such thing.

Has anyone ever heard of doing it this way?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

Has anyone heard of offering as incentives or gifts (You know, what you get if you donate $5, and if you donate $25, etc.) a bunch of donated things? I read about it somewhere. I'm considering donating the Turkish kilims we wove a few years ago that I've never had the time or energy to sell. Like, "if you donate $25 you get one of this size" or some such thing.

I don't know anything about it, but I think most people are similar in that if it's a 'something for something' trade, it would make it more appealing.
Of course, I'd resell my gift, but that's just me.

:D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed May 08, 2013 11:16 am

Public radio and public television in the USA offers incentives for donations. They'll have "standard" items such as coffee mugs, T-shirts, baseball caps, all emblazoned with "NPR" or "PBS" and they might also have seasonal offering such as flowers for Mother's Day, or the LL Bean wreath at Thanksgiving time.

One issue that might crop up is whether a donor can deduct the full amount of the donation from his or her taxes. If the incentive has any significant cash value, that value should lessen the amount of the deduction.

Will the IndieGoGo project provide receipts to donors?
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby skannie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Would your center be doing stuff similar to The Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage http://www.folklife.si.edu/ or is your concept very different? Maybe doing an internship there would be useful experience for you. They offer them from 6 weeks to a year in duration.

RubyDragonfly wrote:The only thing I do know is that the land is in Canada
How do you know? Has someone offered you land there? If there is already land, maybe you could get volunteers to build a center on it in indigenous style from logs or other indigenous materials.

A couple of years ago I met a woman in Slovakia who said she wanted to raise money to build a centre for… I can’t remember exactly what… some wine had been drunk.. but something to do with indigenous cultures and spirituality I think.

My advice was to start with the people not with the building. First because if you already have an active community that wants or needs a centre, potential donors are more likely to provide money or land because they can see it will be put to good use. Second because you can involve your people in the fund-raising and development process and end up with a solution that suits its purpose better. Don’t know if she liked my advice. Her husband is an architect so he probably wants an opportunity to design a fancy building.

You can start by creating an online community, or by getting a few interested people together in real life for discussions and events. A combination of both is probably the most effective. Patty suggests using other people’s money. I say use other people’s premises, at least until you get your own, e.g. libraries, schools, adult education centres, theatres, back rooms in pubs, temporarily vacant shop premises, parks if the weather is good. You can hold talks, seminars, exhibitions etc. I love Barbara’s idea of a travelling roadshow. It could fit in very nicely with festivals of world or grassroots music.

Are you thinking of registering as a non-profit organisation? The webhosting company I use, Dreamhost, offers free web-hosting accounts to US registered charitable non-profits. You can have more than one website on the same account, and they provide free, ready to install software for Wordpress blogs and phpBB forums just like this one.

But probably a Facebook group or page is the easiest way to start building a community online, and it’s free too.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RubyDragonfly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you so much for all of this rich information. And I apologize for the time it has taken in getting back to you to thank you. I am conducting a job hunt in two states, and have been dealing with the death of one friend, the health crises of another, and have less than 5 hours a week for doing anything with Barbara Sher. Since I'm in her HO group, that usually takes up the time more than entirely. But, again, thank you for your insights and your comments.
Ruby Dragonfly
RubyDragonfly
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Idea Parties