And I WILL Open my own Business

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: And I WILL Open my own Business

Postby expatana » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Annalena, find out if she's getting some long, quiet, structured study time at home. You mentioned her family life is happy but "chaotic." That's great 90% of the time, except during time when you must get studying done.

By "structured," I mean a certain extended time, at the same time, every day or evening. Quiet, no TV, no computer games, nothing other than studying. If she has the computer on, is it being used exclusively for study and/or homework?

No music on, no little ones screaming ... you get it.

I saw this in a lot of families. They'd complain their kids weren't doing well, and you see them playing games, watching TV and such every night.

Another thing is, what seem to be her favorite or optimal learning style? Is she more of a visual learner, auditory, etc.? What senses does she tend to use more or like to use more?

Let us know.
Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 am

Yes to everything expatana wrote.

When my daughter was about nine, she did as little school work as she could get away with. Then she changed schools, and in about a week she became self-motivated, worked as hard as she could, and got excellent grades. One thing about the new school that I noticed was that everyone in the school was interested in learning. Learning was exciting, challenging, fun, interesting. Of course you'd do your homework. Why on earth would you choose to do anything else? And it wasn't an act. The teachers really felt that way, and in a very short time, so did the students.
Is that something you could give your student? The idea that learning things is interesting. Even boring things can be interesting if you challenge yourself to compete - to do better than you did the last time.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:38 am

I would say that quiet is important, too, but quiet as in undisturbed. I think the advice about no music is not applicable to teens. The are some teens that need the music to fully engage / integrate their brains. I'm sure there are studies that back this up, although I can't refer to any.

BTW, I bring earbuds to work and to the library. When I need ultra concentration, I put on loud operatic metal music and increase productivity.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 am

Hi guys, sorry it took me so long!

All of your tips are great, highly appreciated and will be put into use when I first go to see her since the summer holidays started this tuesday.
She's not allowed to have a computer, but she does study in the family/living room with people constantly coming & leaving,her little brother and his friend playing around, mom cooking, etc.

Expatana: A structured time will probably be hard to find, since this child is so busy - theater, ballet, tennis, horseback riding, typing class, you name it- but it is a very good and needed idea.
She's a visual learner for sure.

Elaine Glimme: This girl IS self-motivated and works hard, that's the thing that makes me want to see her succeed so bad...she IS interested in learning.

SquarePeg: Not sure if she needs /wants music, but I don't think so. Will ask her.

So, as I said, going back on tuesday, we'll see how things go :).

As for myself, I'm kind of in a rut, although things are going pretty good- did a fair amount of tutoring, secured myself a part time sales position starting September 1st and can establish my tutoring school in the afternoons. End of August, I'm getting my zumba trainer license (in case that NASTY wine bottle cut under my toe heals in time- stepped into it yesterday), and for the remainder of August I got some teaching gigs in several langugae schools- 1, to make money; 2, to kind of check the market in case I want to offer language classes myself).

My list of goals for the summer contained - open tutoring school (done, is on idle until October cause of school holidays)
- Find part time job (done)
- Get into great shape & apply at fitness model agency (not done, unfortunately, but could be done in about 2 months- after toe healed , that is)
- Get zumba trainer license (lined up - in 3 weeks)

So why am I so dissatisfied with myself??

Next goals include (the ones October- December)
- Get life coach training (not financable right now) and
- finally finish writing book - which is what I'm gonna do RIGHT now. Well, write some.

Maybe it has to do with the fact a week ago I visited my sister and her 15 month old son and got to hang out with him a ton, loved it, realized I'm almost 30 and won't have any kids by the time I'm 30. Yikes!

Sorry for whining
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

It really sounds as if you've got a lot accomplished during the summer! You're working independently now, in addition to your PT job. That in itself is an achievement! Many, many people attempting to go independent still don't have their first clients yet. You're already on a roll, as we say. Savor it and enjoy it while you're going for the rest.

Keep us posted on how the student is doing, and how you're doing, too.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 pm

So, taught my first language class yesterday and already am doing much better.

I just don't feel like a complete person without working, I really don't...
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Idea Parties