And I WILL Open my own Business

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

And I WILL Open my own Business

Postby Annalena » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:47 am

It's time. It's really time for me to do this.

I have known I want my own business (read:empire) for decades. I knew when I was selling small collectible toys to strangers over my parents' garden fence at 7 years of age.
I knew when, on a hot day in summer, I put up a "fridge" in the mailbox and sold drinks for exorbitant prices to bypassers when I was 8.
I knew when I "published" a magazine and sold subscriptions to neighbors at age 10.
I knew when I started tutoring and babysitting at age 13 and didn't care if I wasn't technically allowed to work by German law.

I have always lacked the necessary determination, and more importantly, focus. I feel that with a lot if work on myself over the last years and working a real full time job for the first time in my life, I finally can. I'm able to do this!

My company is being restructured because it has been sold. I made a pledge to myself: should I get laid off, I will start a business. If I don't get laid off, I am still doing to do it in my spare time (maybe working part time).

I am going to start a tutoring school. I have had this idea for ten years. The market is enormous, I know it very, very well and the risk is minimal. The only question I'm pondering: why didn't I do this years ago?
(I know why. Lack if focus, too many other things going on, inner battles, my friend telling me she's be seriously disappointed if I did it without her.)

My school is going to offer private lessons with me or another teacher, group preparation fit exams and-coaching and mentoring to find an apprenticeship. I have worked for nunerous schools and none of them had this service.

I feel a fire inside me. Finally, finally I feel a fire inside me. One that I always knew was there.

I know this has enormous potential. I know I can make a lot if money out of this.
When it's off the ground-and that shouldn't take too long- I can hire a manager Bs do all the other things I still want to do in life.

I can then write my book(s), get coaching training get my fitness trainer license...
I can live the way I want. That should be reason enough to do it. Right?

I've listed some if my life goals.
These include:
Become a millionaire.
Be on undercover boss -as the boss.
Become entrepreneur of the year, at least locally.
Publish a book.
Model in a men's magazine (weird goal maybe, I know!)

Suddenly it all feels so... Feasible.
Why?!
Maybe, because I finally believe in myself?

Please, hold me accountable on here!!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: And I WILL Open my own Business

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:40 am

Great! Go for it!

What's your first step? Advertising? Or will your school provide clients?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 am

First step: make real calculation with bf on the weekend and see at what point this school becomes so profitable it makes sense to quit my day job.
Second step: offer only one-on-one lessons at home with different teachers so I have almost no fixed cost at first. These lessons can be given by me (in some subjects), or others.
Therefore: Find teachers (newspaper ad, word of mouth, personal contacts, Internet ads), then find clients (word of mouth, newspaper, radio). Match them. Start. Find dedicated office hours (like5-7pm every day) in Erich people can call in and I can call people back.

Offer personal consulting appointments for new clients?
One test lesson free of charge?

Then see how things work out from here.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 am

Great! We'll be looking forward to your post on Monday, then! :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Annalena, it's great to see you so motivated and in tune with your strengths and desires. I just wanted to encourage you by saying that you're heading in a good direction! Best of luck to you.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

Thank you, kashtanka! You summed up pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment!

I think what has helped me a lot was to finally take working out seriously- and realizing when you do stick to something, results follow! (Surprising, huh?:)) And it's only me who determines them.

As for tutoring, made a calculation with bf, who made me a wonderfully professional excel chart. Unfortunately, profits aren't exactly as much as I hoped for, but that only means
1- calculating beforehand is a good idea
2- maybe concept needs to be adapted slightly ( as in, not renting office rooms straight away).

Was checking for offices to rent hourly & daily and just found one in a PERFECTlocation! Sent email to go see it.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 am

The public libraries in our state have study rooms that are ideal for tutoring. Do you have something similar in Germany?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am

Sometimes, mostly in bigger cities and in universtiy libraries. Not here for sure. But some new ideas came up

- googled and found IDEAL rooms to rent in perfect location that probably are also cheap. Could start from there. Pay per hour/day. Still need to call lady back & look at them. Never reach her, she never reaches me, cause I am so busy.

- Bf reminded me very harshly of reality- for my employer, I have a 6 month "trial" period in which lay me off within 2 weeks notice. That period is gonna be over end of March. he said I should maybe wait until then since my contract states I can only do other jobs with permission (I HATE this- what am I? A serf? They shouldnt care what I do in my free time!! There are ppl who are able to work more than 40 hrs.)

Or do it without advertising etc until end of March. Not sure about this.

- Had new requests for private tutoring. How am I gonna keep my actual students and the good word of mouth they are creating?
I rpobably wont be able to just say I now have a company and double my price (which I- almost- must, if I want to live off this full tine).

I could , though, start w exam prep group classes. These are and extra deal besides the usual tutoring, the still can get regular tutoring, they pay about the same price and still have classes w me. Then I could ask them to come to a (small) group calss regularly later. Good idea?

Too many things going on with this, but I am determined...!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Annalena, I was wondering ... you said your company has a rule that you can't work outside your job. Since I'm assuming you can do so once you're laid off, could you depend on the word-of-mouth informal advertising from your current students til then? There's only a month until March.

Also, depending on how long your layoff period is (if you're going back to the company eventually), could you possibly "advertise" publicly with a company name but not put your actual name in the advertising materials?

I know this seems sneaky, somehow, but many companies advertise without using people's names. Of course, students would get to know you once they come to you, but I'm thinking the company doesn't have to find out you're doing this unless your name is publicly advertised. How would they know otherwise?

I too think that's an unfair rule, unless you're in competition with the company's business or involved with a competitor. It didn't sound like you were.

I wish you the very best and I think what you're starting is awesome!
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon May 13, 2013 5:11 am

So, some time has passed, but here I am again. :)

I got laid off the last day that was possible with a 2 week notice. I was devastated because this was my first ever real job! But at the same time, thoughts in my head started spinning. Maybe this is the sign you had been looking for...

since then, I have
- registered my new company
- started my business plan
- held my first promotion (hand out flyers at the local fair- nothing big, but hey!- it happened)
- created a website
- went to founder's advise day

- found a possible new branch to work for me (I was told on founder's day I could give money to get coaching. I don't need coaching, because the coaching is about marketing, finance, etc. and I have a degree in business, but maybe I could OFFER coaching!!)

Right now, before the summer, is actually the worst time to open a tutoring school, but hey, screw it. I invested 400€ so far and have my first customer who will bring 350€. Pretty good for a new company, I find.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 am

Well done!
Looking forward to following your progress.

:D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 am

Very good!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Annalena, I too will be following your progress. Well done! You've started ... you're really in business! The best thing is that it's no longer something you're just talking about, it's something you have done! You will succeed! There is still a market out there and you are going to grab a big chunk of it! :-)

Keep going!
Ana
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 am

Oh , there is a BIG market out there...
Tutoring is the fastest growing branch in our state.

(Our high school used to be 13 years and now they try to squeeze it into 12- that's part of the reason).

It's completely the wrong time now to do this, so soon before summer, but that is why I am looking for a part time job now for the mornings.
AND I'M thinking about getting my zumba trainer license!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 pm

I was curious, Annalena, what is it you tutor, what subject? What's that industry that's so big in your state in Germany?

And ... what is a zumba trainer? :-)

All the best to you!
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties