And I WILL Open my own Business

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: And I WILL Open my own Business

Postby Annalena » Sat May 18, 2013 10:54 am

I tutor Maths, German, and English for mainly 5th to 10th graders.
We have 3 kinds of "high school" - it's 4 years elementary& then either 5, 6, or 8 years of "high school".

Don't want to go into this too much, but basically, the 5 years is the easiest, and so on. Qualifies you for apprenticeships - which is a legit way to get a vocational education here - for simpler jobs, like hair stylist, electrician, etc.
6 years will qualify you for more advanced apprenticeships, like bank accountant, most office jobs, etc.
8 years will qualify you to go to college/university.

Basically, kids in all these types of schools need tutoring cause high school here in Germany is demanding. Very much so. (Even in the "lower" level schools because they have a lot of immigrants that have problems with German, for example).
What I want to offer in my school is tutoring not only in MY subjects, but in ALL subjects (by other teachers)- Physics, Latin, French, Chemistry, whatever is needed!

A zumba trainer, I guess instructor would be more correct, is someone who offers zumba classes. It's kind of like aerobics mixed with Latin American dance. See this video, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2pRyjGZRY .
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Sat May 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Annalena, it's fascinating to read this. Very recently I read an article describing some of Germany's educational system, and how we in the U.S. could learn from it. And I agree wholeheartedly with all of what it said. It's beyond the scope of our discussion here of your business success -- and how you're going to just blow it away! -- but suffice it to say it seems so much better.

How big of a school do you want to establish?
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon May 20, 2013 6:19 am

Expatana, do you have a link to that article?
I'd LOVE to read that, cause all I have been hearing for the last 10 years is that we need to americanize our education system (and I have disagreed).

Thanks for believing in me! :)

I would like to build a school where 3 classes can be held at the same time (afternoon, of course, because in the mornings, there is regular school), one by me, two by other teachers. Maybe 3 time slots for kids and after that 2 time slots for adults.

At the same time, the school shall offer teachers to offer private (one-on-one) tutoring at home. This is pretty unlimited. Would have to be done by other teachers, of course.

Then I'm planning (very roughly planning) to open one school here in G. where I live, one in S. which is like 10 miles and then one in Munich nearby, which is like 8 miles. But first things first .

I had my first tutoring scool client today!!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 am

I had my first tutoring school client today!!

That's fantastic! :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for correcting the quote, mango;)

and thanks for your congrats!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Sorry, OCD issues. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby expatana » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Annalena wrote:Expatana, do you have a link to that article?
I'd LOVE to read that, cause all I have been hearing for the last 10 years is that we need to americanize our education system (and I have disagreed).

Oh Annalena, I'm so sorry, I didn't keep it. I'm angry with myself because I usually bookmark anything related to Europe. I must have been doing something and forgot. I'm sure I can do a search to see what online pub first put it out.

I just happened upon it on Yahoo News about a week ago. It was just a general piece about the different tracks students follow in Germany, as opposed to here where everyone just goes to high school for 4 years, and everyone is pushed (these days) to go to university.

It was a good article, though, and I recommend you read it if only as a way to see that someone here does not necessarily think everyone else's education system should be like ours. Why in the world should it? It's not working for us, why would it work for anyone else?

You and I will have to discuss this further.

And a big congratulations on your first tutoring client! You're on your way, girl! I remember how it felt to have both my first students and my first editing client! Awesome!
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am

That first client is seriously challenging me- 10th grade maths (parables etc.)- haven't done this in almost a decade! I myself study 4 hours right now a day to work 1.5 hours with her ;) But oh well, once I'm on track again, I guess it won't be that hard anymore.

So funny about the article. Seriously, I'd LOVE to read it. Was it this one maybe?
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... -education

All I heard while in school was our highest level of high school took too long, our university was to theoretic (which I, to a degree, have to agree with), and we weren't able to compete in the international market because "college" was taking way too long, too.

Now we have changed degrees from our German degrees (mostly "Diplom", not to be confused with a vocational diploma) to Bachelor's and Master's.

Having gone through German university during the changing prcoess, therefore having taken German Diplom, Master, and Bachelor classes; and having studied abroad at UF, taking both Bachelor's and Master's classes, I think I really have an insight and a comparison now.

I can tell you that much: German university should have stayed the way it was. Maybe people should have considered our 13 years of high school and then 5-7 years of "college" (this can't really be compared to only college, more like college+ grad school all in one) didn't make for 22 year old graduates, but for a good education. Typically, people would be 25-28 when graduating, a lot also having taken a gap year before university, taking an extra exchange year in high school or university (MUCH more popular over here).

Maybe we needn't Americanize everything and inflate our grades like it is happening now.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 am

Annalena, my experience in USA is that high school was too easy, too boring, and in my last year, I needed to take only a few classes. But I wasn't ready (mature enough) to go to university immediately after high school. So I chose a 9-month vocational school program and started working right away. Then I went to university part time at first and full time later and got just a Bachelor's before turning 29 years old.

Parabolas? You can get imaginary numbers for roots! Let me know if you need help. I can derive the quadratic formula. ;)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

SquarePeg wrote:
Parabolas? You can get imaginary numbers for roots! Let me know if you need help. I can derive the quadratic formula. ;)

So can I....now....again :) . Thank you though. :) Deriving is not a topic yet though, not in year 10. In year 11 it will be;)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Wed May 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Annalena, that was the one! I just re-read it to be sure. Now, you say the German system has changed from one in which you had 13 years of "high school," then another 5-7 years of what was really college + grad school. I still say that was a better system than we have. But the current German system is still a great improvement over what we have now.

It really is what the author said, a "cookie-cutter" system in which everyone is on the same track. One of the challenges for us is that the very word "track" has gained a negative connotation over the years -- for understandable reasons: In earlier generations it was almost always students from lower socioeconomic groups who were automatically "tracked" away from university-prep courses (even if they didn't want to be) and into vocational programs that almost always seemed to train them for lower-paying jobs. Well, almost. Sometimes they did work well. Our manufacturing base did well for a very long time.

So there was an ugly element of classism in our earlier tracking programs. I know. It happened to many of my relatives and it almost happened to me.

But now I feel we've gone entirely too far in the other direction. There's nothing wrong with tracking if it's done with proper counseling with the students, so that everyone goes where they want to go and where they should go.

Many students today do get to go to "technical high school" during part of their school years, but it's not nearly as extensive as it could be, and nowhere near what Germany offers. We don't have the formal system of apprenticeship that you do.

I would dearly love to spend some time in Germany.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Expatana- it's so lovely to hear that. It's always nice when other people seem to like your own country :)

Only recently, I worked at this trade show. For an American company. Really nic people, both them and their clients, but everyone kept on bit hung about all the things that were different from in the US. Everything different was automatically negative.

The ticket machine at the train station wouldn't take credit cards.
There was no ice in the drinks.
The food was too unhealthy. And too much pork.
The rooms were smaller.
The beer was everywhere.
There were no walk-in closets.
People were-gasp!-walking everywhere instead of using a car.
No nachos in the restaurant.

I could go on. ;)

We're completely off topic right now, but I enjoy this discussion ;)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby expatana » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Annalena wrote:The ticket machine at the train station wouldn't take credit cards.
There was no ice in the drinks.
The food was too unhealthy. And too much pork.
The rooms were smaller.
The beer was everywhere.
There were no walk-in closets.
People were-gasp!-walking everywhere instead of using a car.
No nachos in the restaurant.

Yep, you could go on ad infinitum, ad nauseum ... :-))) We've all heard Americans complaining about other countries to the point where the first thing I want to say is, if you want it to be like home, stay home.

You gave me a few laughs -- and maybe a few others, too. The rooms were smaller? They should have been in Japan. The beer was everywhere. And that's cause for complaint? No walk-in closets? Only an American ... ! No nachos? Gee, I didn't realize every single restaurant in the U.S. had nachos. Wow, I've learned a few new things about my own country. :-)))

Spain is the home of my heart and always will be. But there are a couple of other countries I'd love to live in and Germany is one. :-)

Yes, it's been stimulating. We'll chat further. Meanwhile we can celebrate your first successes here in your own thread. Keep us posted on your new clients and the establishment of your business.
expatana
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 am

Woohoo! Congrats on the new leap, Annalena! I’m hoping for the best and ongoing success for your entrepreneurial venture! Please keep us up to date on your progress! I love hearing success stories.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Annalena » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 pm

So now I have a question to ask. Calling all coaches, teachers, etc.

I have student (still from my "private tutoring days"). She's 12, she's super smart, and she keeps on getting bad grades.
In maths I know the reason, it's her teacher, so maybe that'll change next year. Then in English and Latin, she's also getting bad grades. She does study, and she gets a whole lotta tutoring, but I just get the feeling she'd need more guidance and structure from her (otherwise really nice and caring) parents. Apparently they provide it -they are one of these nice, chaotic families.

Now I am really not the most structured person myself, but how could I help her here?
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Idea Parties