How can I use these talents?

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

How can I use these talents?

Postby Annalena » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 am

If I should only open one topic in "idea parties", please merge. I just felt it was a different topic.

As some of you might already know from my other post, I am trying to establish a series of different self-employed incomes, to finally get rich and stop tryin'.;)
Now I feel like I have some talents I don't use to the max and I am really not sure how to make money off of these. I'll write down my ideas and maybe you guys can help me since you helped mango so greatly in her post?

Talents:

- Languages. I LOVE languages. I learn them in a heartbeat. I speak German, English (obviously), very good Italian & I can do Spanish & French. Problem is, living in Europe, everyone speaks at least English (at my education level) and it's not a plus, it's expected. The other languages are more of a nice-to-have, but people don't really care.
Now my English is way better than most peoples' , but for most jobs it's just necessary to be able to communicate. How could I use this high-level English?
(I'd be very open to learning more languages if helpful)
-> Jobs done: 1.Freelance interpreter (you'd really have to have a degree for that & there's not much money in it) 2.Trade show hostess - as in standing there & looking pretty(low pay) 3.trade show interpreter through agency (low pay)
->ideas: 1.international tv show or trade show hostess (as in with a microphone) 2.self-employed trade show translater/interpreter without agency

- Linguistics/Speedreading. I have read my mom's book from when I was 7. Very advanced, grown-up books. These days, I love reading, a common novel I read at 100 pages/hour. I am great with foreign words and can sound very sophisticated.
-> jobs done: none, really
-> ideas: 1.Professional speedreader, reading documents & summarizing them for people? (Shouldn't be too technical though)
2. Writer - novel, book about my promo/hostess work experience
3. tv show or trade show hostess (as in with a microphone)

- Teaching. I feel I'm really good at this. I don't have a teacher degree and don't want to go to university again to get one (7 years).
-> jobs done: tutoring, tutoring, tutoring
-> idas: My own tutoring & language school offering group classes & private home lessons (in process)

- Business/entrepreneurship. My degree is in business administration & economics and I really have a heart for entrepreneurship.
-> jobs done: my full time sales job. Felt like I couldn't really use the skills or the love for entrepreneurship.
-> Ideas: 1. Be a real entrepreneur, have a start up or realize one of my list of 50 business ideas (fells like too big of a project to take on right now)
2. Become a business coach for small businesses for their starting phase. (1-10 employees). I do have that degree and I have been self-employed for 11 years. Sometimes there's even federal funding.

- Dancing. I LOVE dancing, expressing myself, I can really make my body look good. I hate learning complicated choreographies though. Don't stick with me easily.
-> jobs done: latein ballroom dance instructor
-> Ideas: 1. Zumba instructor. High energy, very easy choreography.
2. Zumba /fitness/dance model.

- Modelling/showbusiness. I have been modelling semi-professionally for 7 or so years. I'm pretty, but I'm short. I have applied at some agencies for their "commercial" section, turns out they don't want me. I have had quite some test shoots & do have good pics. Also, I did have jobs - without agencies. Issue: There are TONS of people wanting to do this.
- jobs done: Stock pictures, commercial pictures
- Ideas: 1.Get in really great shape and apply at a sport model agency for fitness and zumba. For these specialized agencies, size is not so important.
2.Sign up with bit player agencies and try to get some small parts in movies or tv. Never thought about this until now, but think it could be fun.

- Communication. I've been told more than once I'm a really good communicator.
-> jobs done: my sales job, maybe. All the promo & hostess jobs.
-> ideas: Become a life coach and help people make the transition I made or am making- from idle life to start living your dreams, get healthy & fit & successful. (I guess this relates to teaching, too).

- Marketing/advertising: I'm creative, I can think of great storyboards or campaigns. Problem is, millions of others can too and there are wayyyy too many agencies.
-> jobs done: nothing but internships
-> ideas: ??? with a decent pay

- Work with kids. I love kids & am great with them.
-> jobs done: babysitter, tutor.
-> ideas: ??

- Fitness/nutrition. Have started this only recently, about 1.5 years ago or so, but have become quite the expert. Issue is: There are many of them out there.
-> jobs done: none.
-> Ideas: Personal trainer (maybe combined w life coach) & nutritionist. Maybe for hard-to-motivate people? Maybe for kids?

- Learning new things. I'm smart, I learn quickly, and I understand very fast.
-> jobs done: none.
-> ideas: ???

- Cooking. Only chore I really like. Never thought about it being a job though, just thought I'd list if for completeness.
-> jobs done: none
-> ideas: high class catering, maybe?? ( I think there are others who are way better)

I hate the corporate world and all the games people play. I'm gonna look for a part time employee position now but that's just a temporary deal. I want to create my own. Plus, I would never make as much money as I would like to make being an employee starting at around 42k (at 28!) and maybe rises from about 3%. My goal income is 100,000+ a year. This is more about financial security and independence than about materialism.

I am very driven by appreciation and appraisal. I know that I'm really still looking for someone (read: my parents) to finally be proud of me. I want to make something BIG happen.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: How can I use these talents?

Postby Annalena » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Anyone?
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Annalena, I see a lot less comfort with English than you're assuming. How good is your German? Lots of Americans are coming over to Germany to lecture and do workshops and they need interpreters. You'd get in touch with the people who produce their workshops. Where are you located now?

What I'm thinking, however, is translating books back and forth into English or from English to German or Italian. Maybe, for starters, all those low-cost eBooks that keep coming out on Kindle and are owned by the authors.

But if you want to have some fun, I think you should teach cooking classes in other languages for Americana (or other) tourists - preferably in Italy. You'd want to do some warmups, and then go looking for your competitors on the Internet. Where do they teach? For small, charming hotels as part of a special package?

It's late or I'd have more ideas, but hearing from you about these will give me a better idea of where you're coming from.

That's a whole lot of talent you have there. Makes life fun - if you have enough to pay the rent, that is.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 am

[quote="BarbaraSher"]Annalena, I see a lot less comfort with English than you're assuming. How good is your German? Lots of Americans are coming over to Germany to lecture and do workshops and they need interpreters. You'd get in touch with the people who produce their workshops. Where are you located now?

But if you want to have some fun, I think you should teach cooking classes in other languages for Americana (or other) tourists - preferably in Italy. You'd want to do some warmups, and then go looking for your competitors on the Internet. Where do they teach? For small, charming hotels as part of a special package?
/quote]

German is my Native language and I live in Munich, Germany. Maybe I should look into this. Never thought about that!

Wouldn't you have to be a real chef in order to teach cooking classes?

Yeah, it's a lot of talents, that I finally need to start using!!! :) Thank you!
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 am

Wouldn't you have to be a real chef in order to teach cooking classes?

Nope. I know a couple of people who go to people's homes and cook for them (dinner parties etc.) They aren't "real chefs" - just know how to cook.

Teaching is a good way to get in the flow. I'd take a class with someone who could show me how to make a decent omelet.

Rachel Ray got her start by working in a grocery store giving cooking demos using the products the store sold. She's never been to culinary school, she just knows how to cook and how to talk to people. Seems to me, she's done pretty well.

One person I know gives training classes in the home. This is how it works. You get four to eight friends to sign up and come to your house. They each pay $100. She then gives them all a cooking lesson (hands on) for some dish. I'm not sure who provides the food. It might be the client. In any case, she makes an easy $500 each time she does this
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 am

Tituba wrote:One person I know gives training classes in the home. This is how it works. You get four to eight friends to sign up and come to your house. They each pay $100. She then gives them all a cooking lesson (hands on) for some dish. I'm not sure who provides the food. It might be the client. In any case, she makes an easy $500 each time she does this

Certainly sounds profitable!!
Was just talking to my bf how these minimum pay jobs need to end.
(Had a phone call with someone from a hostessing agency about working the FC Bayern Munich football games. He was like "Yeah, that would be 12€ an hour... and then you get 8€ for transport, so that's MORE THAN ONE € EXTRA PER HOUR, if you work 7 hours!" - really - this needs to stop)
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 am

What comes easy to you, does not come easy to others. People will pay you to do the things they can't (or won't) do.

Also, there is a BIG market for people who can translate for genealogists. Many people are searching their family trees and come to a stop when the documentation is found in Germany etc. because they can't read the language. Offer translation services. You can do this by having them email you the documents and pay you through Pay Pal. You'd find your clients on genealogy websites & Facebook. Setup a website with the languages you can translate.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Tituba wrote:Also, there is a BIG market for people who can translate for genealogists. Many people are searching their family trees and come to a stop when the documentation is found in Germany etc. because they can't read the language. Offer translation services. You can do this by having them email you the documents and pay you through Pay Pal. You'd find your clients on genealogy websites & Facebook. Setup a website with the languages you can translate.

This sounds so easy, too easy. Aren't there a million certified interpreters/translators with an actual degree who can't find jobs? (At least here in Germany I get the impression!)

But that is a GREAT idea, considering how many Americans want to trace down their roots...
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby emspace » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Annalena wrote:This sounds so easy, too easy. Aren't there a million certified interpreters/translators with an actual degree who can't find jobs? (At least here in Germany I get the impression!)

Ah, but it’s not about how many people are out there who can do it; it’s about how people who need them can find them. Find your audience! Don’t expect them to find you! Good luck with this, Annalena!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Tituba wrote: I'd take a class with someone who could show me how to make a decent omelet.
This might interest you -- an open-faced omelet: http://square--peg.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... kfast.html
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh, cool. I've bookmarked your blog. My omelets basically turn out to be a big fried egg and not the fluffy french omelet others can make. I've followed all their directions.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Annalena » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am

I never could make pork in green pepper cream sauce like my ex did, although I WATCHED him do it and did the very same things. I guess some people just have it and some don't.

Forget to mention some (useless) talents.

- Can memorize the lyrics to any song in a matter of hours.
Jobs done: absoutely none.
Ideas: singer???

- Can read articles (or magazines that have a certain sounds to them) in a certain tone and continue them in the same tone, sounds like written by the same author.
Is this useful?!

Considering there is not too much money in journalism anyway, not sure how this could be monetized.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Annalena » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 am

An idea just hit me.

Considering I want (and I WILL) become a life coach eventually, why shouldn't I offer coaching services and personal training for English speakers in Germany (expats)?

I bet there's some demand and people who would prefer to work with someone face to face rather than via skype.
Also, while there certainly are a lot of personal trainers who might speak English, there are not many who advertise it.
~~ thinking helps. ~~
Annalena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby sweetsoulmusic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:55 am

I read about a guy the other day in the "$100 Startup" who loved to travel and learn languages, so he created an entire language learning system. He could become fluent in 30 days and learned over 8 languages just because he wanted to... so he sold his ability. Created a become fluent in 30 days type system and he's doing well.
sweetsoulmusic
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby vivsim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:41 am

About your business experience: I have a German friend who lives in Arizona and she owns a successful and long established wholesale wine import business, selling mostly German wines.
How about exploring exporting any products from Germany, especially if you have the business experience and possibly you could get federal funding, as the government may have some sort of economic stimulus program?
From the American side, I recently attended a small business class on marketing, and one of the speakers was from the state department of business assistance. She offered lots of information on how to get help getting started.
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Idea Parties