Connectors Team in Your City

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba Connectors Team in Your City

Postby lkindr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 am

Http:// has started an ambitious project about 3 weeks ago. They're starting Connectors teams in towns and cities worldwide with volunteers. They have teams started in over 700 cities so far. The purpose of teams is to help connect people to people and things with common interests in order to accomplish good things.

Please join. It's free. And please share any ideas you may have here.
Last edited by lkindr on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Hire Part-time Group Coordinator

Postby lkindr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:05 am

IDEA is not paying volunteers to do anything, but it looks like there should be no problem with members hiring others.

Hire Group Coordinator
I put an ad on Craigslist in the Community section offering part-time work for a coordinator for our local group. Unfortunately, CL has gotten greedy and requires costly payments for ads in the jobs section. So I don't know if my ad will get any replies.

My hope is to hire someone for 10 hours a week at about $10 per hour to call and email groups and invite them to a weekly Fairplay event.

The coordinator would first locate a cheap and convenient place for the event.

And they would also attend the event to act as facilitator, at least until the group gets a volunteer facilitator.

The group can be asked for donations to help pay for the coordinator too.

Free Phone Calls
I guess Google Talk is the cheapest way to make phone calls, i.e. for free. That would be helpful for a coordinator. My former landlord uses it all the time and no longer has a land line phone. You have to provide a phone number in order to use Google Talk, but it can be a cheap cell phone. That's what he has. I haven't been able to get it to work on my computer yet, so I'll probably need to get someone to help me get it set up right. I was told to get a mike for it.
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Hold Fun Events and Fun Meetings

Postby lkindr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am

FairPlays for Better Meetings

Most people don't like to attend meetings, because:
- they're usually not facilitated well,
- a few people unfairly do most of the talking,
- there's little or no fun,
- decisions are often made unfairly or unwisely,
- members' views often clash and members get upset with each other without quick resolution.

Fairplays can solve these problems.

A "fairplay" is a fun event in which all attenders, if possible, take up to 5 minutes each to give a speech, a performance, or just an introduction, which are called acts.

Fairplays require a comfortable space indoors or out and a chairperson, or emcee, to announce each member's turn. For larger gatherings a microphone would also be helpful. Members can be asked to bring their own refreshments. Members would also need to be invited beforehand with details about the Fairplay and Meeting.

Purpose: Inform, Educate, Entertain, Cooperate:
The purpose of fairplay acts is to facilitate maximum information, education and entertainment. Members may do their acts individually or in groups. Speeches may be informative, educational, and or entertaining. Performances are educational especially for performers. Performances may also be demonstrations, which are also educational for audiences. Cooperation is involved in preparing for Fairplays and "executing" them and in the meetings afterwards.

Meetings after the Fairplays:
The emcee/chairperson should announce committee meetings at the end of the fairplays. Members would then meet in small groups, which can be called committees, to discuss common interests.

If any decisions need to be made by everyone, the emcee/chairperson should announce them, but not take more than 5 minutes for everyone to make the decisions. If that's not enough time, the decisions should be made later online or by phone. Otherwise, many members will become bored or annoyed.

The fairplays can take one to two hours.
Meetings afterward should take half an hour to an hour.
Total time would be 1.5 to 2 hours.
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Idea Parties