Helping People and Organizations with Communication

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Helping People and Organizations with Communication

Postby RayofLight2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am

I'm trying to think about a business that would involve helping people/businesses with communication. Interestingly, I have been caught in the middle of various situations in which two parties were hesitant to communicate. They wasted time, put project deadlines in jeopardy, etc. Also, what I see happening in organizations is that staff have gotten more into their own silos and have not communicated important information that would create more efficient operations.
RayofLight2
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Helping People and Organizations with Communication

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 am

When I was just starting out I was asked by some people who knew my work to come into their small company to help with communication. The big problem was that no one would be advancing. The company produced some kind of gadget that required 150 people on a small assembly line and about 50 people from secretaries, janitors, project managers, hardly any sales people, then vice presidents, cfo, ceo, etc. Everyone was well paid and had good benefits but they were bored because no advancement was really possible.

So they offered lunchtime programs in various things - diet, investment, etc. - but they were running out of entertainment. So I was called in.

Doing an interactive workshop inside a company is tricky. You don't want people to reveal too much - well, they don't want to reveal too much about how they feel at work. And I didn't want to create a mess.

So I called the workshop a communications workshop, I insisted on having someone from every part of the company: the chief janitor, secretaries, managers, bookkeepers, etc. and about 30 people attended. I told them it was all about listening and hearing or some damn thing, and then I did my favorite team builders (never called that) from Wishcraft (also used in Success Teams trainings): The Lying Game and Good Gossip. And after that we had an idea party, basically: people had to tell us their wishes -- always personal, never professional -- and their obstacles, and they ran around helping each other find good real estate agents, some tack for a horse and a few other things I no longer remember.

A few days after the workshop the head janitor went to the ceo's office (ceo hadn't attended but sent the message his daughter needed a good coach for her role in an opera.). The janitor's daughter was an opera singer in training as well and had a great coach to recommend.

People talked to each other after that, very nicely. The mood was different. And they were going after things they wanted - just not expecting the company to provide them.

So it worked.

Maybe there's something there you can use, RayofLight2.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RayofLight2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:51 am

Barabara, your post is interesting and gives me some food for thought. In my experience, people won't say too much about their concerns with work at work, especially in this economic climate. There's a lack of trust between people these days (maybe it was always there, but it seems more pronounced to me now). I'll have to go back to Wishcraft to read about what you did.
RayofLight2
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Yes, that's my point. If I said it was a communications workshop, and I let them talk only about personal wishes and obstacles, nothing to do with work (because there's rarely any trust there and people don't want to reveal work issues) it worked fine.

The interesting thing was that, after helping each other find real estate agents and saddles and reins for their horse, and a coach for their daughter, they talked together at work more comfortably about what they should have been talking about. It really did improve the communication that was needed to make the workplace run better.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties