W: to work at an office part time O: less pay

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: to work at an office part time O: less pay

Postby lovingmyself » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm

I have been working at contract jobs as an Accounting Assistance for about 25 years now. Even though there is sometimes a lapse of a few months when I am unemployed I always manage to secure something down the road. My jobs have always been 5 days a week either 7 or 7.5 hours a day. Some of my contracts have even been extended beyond 1 year. I have also enjoyed having the time off between contracts to overcome burnout, relax, or to travel.

At this point in my life at age 53 I am finding it more difficult to work a 5 day week. I have less time for other pursuits like going to the gym or working on a career change and it can also be tiring. I always appreciate when there is a statutory holiday and I get a 3 day weekend which makes having the extra day off really nice.

I would like to be able to eventually work part time. Ideally I would like to work in an office 3 days a week but I would be just as happy at even 4 days a week. It would be a win win situation because I would have more time for other pursuits but at the same time I like having a reason to get up early because I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I would enjoy having a 3 or 4 day weekend.

The obstacle this presents is that obviously if I am working part time there is less money coming in. The problem this would cause is that it would be harder for me to put away money for retirement and I would not be able to save enough for travel. I also would have a harder time paying my bills. Even if I could set up other income streams like making money from my blog or teaching English conversation it takes time to establish oneself and it could take quite some time before I see any payouts.

At least I am enjoying my current job and I like the company so I don't mind so much the 5 day week schedule. Also it's not too much of a commute (40 min by public transportation) so I am able to get home at about 5:15 pm which is not too late for me. But I still dream of working that 3 day week.

Any ideas to make this dream come true?
Travel blog: www.myloveoftravels.blogspot.ca
lovingmyself
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: to work at an office part time O: less pay

Postby Tituba » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:22 pm

You are actually in a great position! So many people are in toxic jobs. You have a "good enough job" that will allow you to start your own company at night and weekends. Once you have a viable income stream, you can perhaps approach your current manager regarding working less or even working one day from home.

Have you read

1. "I Could Do Anything If Only I Knew What It Was" - by Barbara Sher
2. "How To Make A Living Without a Job." Barbara Winter
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:40 pm

I had the opportunity to furlough - work four days a week for 4/5 the pay, and I took it and loved it. I got almost as much work done in four days because my morale was high. I was able to do it by living cheaply. I always paid off my credit card each month, so I didn't pay interest which is a horrible waste of money. And I never felt like I had to have everything that the advertisers of America said I couldn't live without. And I can pinch a penny until it bleeds.

You mentioned two expenses - retirement and travel. Barbara Sher says that it's possible to travel cheaply. I don't know how to do it, but I imagine it involves hostels, and teaching English in foreign countries, and home exchanges. And I assume that some countries are cheaper to visit than others.

Don't mess with your retirement.

So figure out your finances and see if you can afford to cut your hours. Would a compromise - one day off every other week make you happy?

I hope you get to cut your hours.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby lovingmyself » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Thank you both for your responses. Tituba, you are right. I do enjoy my job for as long as it lasts. I can use my evenings and weekends for other incomes but it would be too time consuming and tiring and that is my reason for wanting to work part time in the first place.

Elaine, you are right you can travel cheaply. I have figured out that my finances would not enable me at this time to work 4 days a week due to expenses and being able to save for retirement, travel, etc. I could be happy having both shorter and longer weeks but I don't think it is feasible right now.

At this time I cannot do the part time thing but I am aiming to be able to do it in my late 50's or at least by the time I turn 60. At least I can start earlier and finish working before 5pm which gives me plenty of time in the evenings for other pursuits both money making and pleasurable.

My ultimate goal is 3 days in an office and then using the other 4 days to earn money in other ways. I will have to slowly work towards it and I know it will happen some time in the future.
Travel blog: www.myloveoftravels.blogspot.ca
lovingmyself
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:35 am

I can use my evenings and weekends for other incomes but it would be too time consuming and tiring and that is my reason for wanting to work part time in the first place.

Why not try it first before deciding it would be too tiring? You can always stop if it does become too much.

There is this thing called resistance that stops people from stepping out of their comfort zone by putting up obstacles that we think are there but in reality, are not. Waiting until conditions are right, is a typical page out of the resistance playbook. I urge you to read what Barbara says about resistance. You might just find that there are aspects of creating a second income stream can be done now that will start you on the path before going part time. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing." One of Barbara's techniques for overcoming the self-limiting talk is to work on your dream for just 15 min.

I urge you to watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYbwsQNG8qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owVmMvEeScc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31AYBZfy ... TS&index=5
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:43 am

Hi.

Lovingmyself, you never mentioned what your "something else" is. One tricky thing about your wish is that your "something else" must make money, and you probably, correctly, assumed that you wouldn't make much money writing the great American novel or selling potholders, or whatever, especially at first.

My suggestion -give it a very small try, as Tituba said. At the least, name the activities you think you'd like to try. For me the scary part of trying something new is that, in my dreams, everything is perfect, and I end up with the Nobel Prize or a handbag that looks like it was made by Gucci. In reality...... :lol: well, it doesn't come out quite that way. But the good thing about reality, is that each time you try something, you learn from it and you get closer to actually doing what you love.

Another bonus for going after your dream - when you do retire, you'll have something to keep you busy and happy, and to supplement your income.

By the way, could you be a trainer at the gym?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties