Identifying "gaps" in the welfare system

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Identifying "gaps" in the welfare system

Postby happykat » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 pm

What I'm wanting to do:

I'm thinking ahead of time, towards "retirement" activities: when the time comes I'd like to either do interesting volunteer work in the welfare sector or else start my own mini-organisation, and in the meantime I'd like to have some idea as to possibilities, so that I can take steps towards building necessary skills.

So..... what I need to know are what are some of the current "gaps" in the welfare system (either in community development, or any other field in welfare) that a small number of people could help to fill, without a lot of money (thinking small grants, and being auspiced by a larger organisation), and without the organisation's workers needing a hugely high level of qualifications or experience. In other words, think real gaps, but modest requirements to be able to make *some* difference. Even if you just tell me what you know is the case in your *own* country, I could then research whether or not it's similar here in Australia. One possible activity could be starting up some kind of a neighborhood initiative to facilitate people helping each other out (a few of them have started recently in Australia).... but I'm wanting to think broadly about the various possibilities.

I know there are a lot of "gaps", e.g. lack of access to training, employment and housing, lack of appropriate support for people with mental illness, lack of accessibility in the community for people with disabilities, lack of "voice" for people with disabilities and other disadvantages, lack of cohesiveness of services (i.e. hard for people to know what is available for them), "passing the buck" syndromes of services, lack of alleviation of extreme poverty, housing difficulties for renters on low incomes, lack of support for frail elderly people living at home, "youth" problems.... the list goes on. What I'm wanting though is to find out more specifics, as to what is already being done, and what can do with some extra help, with the "help" having modest means.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Identifying "gaps" in the welfare system

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:07 am

I think you're really smart to think about retirement before you are actually retired, and suddenly find yourself with a lot of time and not very much to with it.

I really believe in education. Teaching or tutoring youths or adults is something you could do without spending any money. A friend of mine volunteers by helping graduating high school students find scholarships for which they qualify.

If you are good at writing grants, many organizations would like your services.

I like your idea of filling in the gaps in the welfare system. I don't know Australia well enough to comment on that, but perhaps having someone to talk to about it will spark some ideas in your head.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby happykat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Thanks, just saw this reply :)

One thing I've started planning is mindfulness workshops.... that will be a good way of gaining skills!
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Lately I've been feeling like my family is slipping through the holes in the social safety net. I make enough money to support a healthy family. But our daughter has autism, so we spent a great deal of money years ago on therapies that insurance wouldn't cover. Now it's my wife's lingering complications with lupus that are draining us and again paying for things that insurance won't cover.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby happykat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:20 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Lately I've been feeling like my family is slipping through the holes in the social safety net. I make enough money to support a healthy family. But our daughter has autism, so we spent a great deal of money years ago on therapies that insurance wouldn't cover. Now it's my wife's lingering complications with lupus that are draining us and again paying for things that insurance won't cover.

Yes.... that's bad luck..... yes even here in Australia there are plenty of "financial" welfare gaps like that, including in relation to autism spectrum disorders. So, here as in other countries there are campaigning groups, and organisations that get grants for community service (government grants and philanthropic grants).
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Square Peg, I'm wishing your family a break from health problems and from the financial drain that goes with them.

Happykat, a cousin of ours is visiting in Australia, and she wrote to us about the flying doctors and how they provide medical care in rural areas. Awesome!
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby happykat » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Square Peg, I'm wishing your family a break from health problems and from the financial drain that goes with them.

Happykat, a cousin of ours is visiting in Australia, and she wrote to us about the flying doctors and how they provide medical care in rural areas. Awesome!

Revisiting this thread: yes in this country, which is geographically about the same size as the U.S., there is extreme remoteness for people who live in the outback i.e. the desert!
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:31 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Lately I've been feeling like my family is slipping through the holes in the social safety net. I make enough money to support a healthy family. But our daughter has autism, so we spent a great deal of money years ago on therapies that insurance wouldn't cover. Now it's my wife's lingering complications with lupus that are draining us and again paying for things that insurance won't cover.

SquarePeg, I didn't see this post when you put it up for some reason. (There was a long period where I didn't get notifications and was so busy I forgot about our wonderful boards).

Where do you live?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Yes, they are wonderful (the Boards, that is.)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Just thought I'd mention, Barbara, that I sent you a PM on Jan 11.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Idea Parties