Need ideas for where to donate books

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Need ideas for where to donate books

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm getting rid of lots of books. The ones that I haven't written in or highlighted will go to my local library.

Unfortunately, I tend to underline and write in books a lot.

The library, the thrift stores, and the used bookstores have all told me they won't sell a book that has any underlining or writing in it. Basically, if they're going to be sold they don't want them.

So............brainstorm with me about where I could donate (adult) books that have underlining, etc.

Here's what I've thought of:

Hospitals
Mental Hospitals
Prisons?
Jails?

I've thought of the small, local mental illness "clubs" where people hang out. I know someone in that system that I'm going to email and ask her if she knows any that would like books.

It would have to be places that don't sell the books, just make them available to people for free. Small reading areas? Where would they be?

I haven't sorted them out yet so I don't know what types of books they'll be. Probably psychology, maybe self-help, definitely knit/crochet books. I should check and see if I can find local knit/crochet clubs. They probably have libraries. Let's see. What other types of books? Probably craft books in general. Maybe some religious. I could check with churches. Maybe music books. Maybe books on writing? Definitely, cookbooks.

If you have any ideas, let me know. I HATE THE IDEA OF THROWING OUT A BOOK! Some are falling apart and will have to be thrown out. But if they're in good shape and just have underlining I'd love to give them to someone.

Maybe freecycle? I have given lots of other stuff to them. I'd have to organize the books into types of books and list titles. It would mean having lots of people come to get them and I live in a gated community and that would be a hassle. I wouldn't want to give my ID number so I'd have to go down my 14 steps (I have knee problems) over and over again and walk to the gate. Don't like that idea. (It's not an expensive type gated community. It's gated for protection because it's sort of a not safe area)

Maybe check garage sales listed and offer to just give them the books and they can keep the money if they sell them? I'd be cautious because they'd probably just throw out what they didn't sell. No. Don't think I'd do that.

Okay. I'm done brainstorming. If anyone thinks of anything, please add it here. I'm going to go back out there and FACE THE BOOKS! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Need ideas for where to donate books

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Check to see if there are any of these in your community

http://littlefreelibrary.org/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Salvation Army thrift store will take them with markings. Goodwill as well.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Have you seen the little house shaped boxes with a large, clear door on the front? They are typically on a pole, and they are filled with books. People can take a book and replace it with a different one or borrow and return it. Sorry, I am not explaining this well. Look up 'free library boxes' to get an idea of what I am talking about. If your city has them, they would be a great way to get rid of the books. If your city does not have them, you could start it...?

Another idea is called The Curriculum Fairy. They don't care about underlining and writing and such. They are a charity that takes used books and curricula and loans them to homeschooling families in need for a full year. They appreciate each and every donation, and it goes to a good cause. Here is their address: Curriculum Fairy, 123 N Congress Ave #276, Boynton Beach, FL 33426
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Jennifer,

I wish I'd known about the home schooling thing. At this point, I've gotten rid of almost all of my books. Maybe someone else who reads your suggestions can benefit from them. Thanks for sharing your information.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:01 pm

I noticed the thread was older, but I thought I would give it a shot. :) Sorry I was a bit too late!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Jason,

Just wanted to respond to your suggestions. My local Good Will and Salvation Army won't accept (and will throw out) underlined books. I think the location of these stores might make a difference. I live in a crowded urban area where they probably get way more books than they can handle and therefore can afford to refuse/throw things out.

A Goodwill or Salvation Army in a less populated area probably would accept everything.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:04 pm

To college students, an underlined book is worth more than one that doesn't have underlining. I didn't see this thread when it first came out.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties