Mindfulness workshop: what would participants want to learn?

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mindfulness workshop: what would participants want to learn?

Postby happykat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm

A question (advice wanted): if you were to run a one-off mindfulness workshop (for the general public), what skills/knowledge would you aim to have participants walk away with at the end of the session?

Reason for asking: I have a number of ideas floating in my mind, but in a session of say 1-2 hours which includes discussion (and of course practical exercises) it would of course be necessary to hone in on only a few ideas/concepts/practices!
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Mindfulness workshop: what would participants want to le

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Being FULLY present during a conversation (i.e. breaking the rude habit of looking at your phone when someone is speaking with you). This also goes for looking at the TV or computer while on the phone.

This might be helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLpjhnO-bqs
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:30 am

Thought you'd like this quote

“Maybe we have to back off from dwelling on whether we are achieving some theoretical life purpose. Maybe we just do what is in front of us and do that well, and do it with an open heart. Do the best you can with what you’re connected to at that moment. That’s your life purpose for that moment. Don’t try to find some absolute best thing. Go in the side door or the back door, and maybe you’ll find what your life purpose is… Go with what you have, and don’t take yourself too seriously. Maybe you don’t know the purpose of what you’re doing right now, and maybe it’s an intermediary step, but you’ll meet someone there. You don’t want to stay in a dead end, either, but you have to assume that there is a purpose for that moment.”
~from "The Purpose of Your Life" by Carol Adrienne
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby happykat » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks for that :)
My plan is to start with a brief discussion on what are the benefits of mindfulness, then move on to thinking about their values and how mindfulness can help them to live according to their values (that's the motivating factor), and practical exercises, with emphasis (including a handout) on how it can easily be practiced at home. My aim is to have them leave hopefully all having learned something new about how they can make their lives different (or perhaps some insight that could be relevant for helping other people whose experience might be different from their own), and with the motivation to put it into practice at home. Ideally, they would be sufficiently intrigued to want to come back for more learning/discussion! I'm doing an online course in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy taught by Russ Harris, author of "The Happiness Trap", and I asked in their forums, what would you want participants to walk away with (from a mindfulness workshop), and explained the outline of my aims. He suggested that I use whatever exercises are my favorite..... so my next step will be to get more experience in practicing mindfulness exercises myself, and re-visit the workshop planning at a later date.
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 am

Hi happykat,

I'd LOVE to weigh in on this question. (It reminds me of how much I miss teaching!) I'll give it some thought and come back later.

Talk to you soon!

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby happykat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:25 pm

happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm not sure what mindfulness is. Does it mean paying attention to what is happening in the present instead of thinking about "I should have said"s or planning what to fix for dinner?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Yes, Elaine, I think so. Being in the present moment. Not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.

Here's what I'd like to learn for such a workshop....
I'd like to know what the medical basis for mindfulness is. At what point is medical intervention recommended when someone is mindless? When is it just "mindlessness" and when is it a petit mal seizure? Are there foods & supplements that can help? Are there foods to avoid?
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey, Happy Kat,

Great questions from Elaine and Square Peg. These are the kinds of things people would want to know if they were going to take the workshop.

I still have my thoughts jotted down somewhere and will get back with them.

How are your thoughts and plans going with this idea? Are they coming along? Let us know. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner.

Inspire :wink:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties