I want to help people heal.

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I want to help people heal.

Postby Randie70 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:45 am

I have been here so many times and years. I have taken support vicariously through all of you, as you work thru your wonderful ideas. Thank you. I'm finally at a point where I'm brave enough to ask, "Help" for myself. "How can I make this happen"?

I love teaching stress management techniques. I''m obsessed with empowering people to understand their body's and mind's reaction to stress and how they can gain back control. In the process, I saw people heal. They heal their headaches, they heal their self esteem, they heal their stomach aches and their ulcers. I'm suddenly fascinated with how this by-product of a simple effort in managing one symptom resolves multiple. I've taken to studying psychoneuroimmunology (just on my own) and how the pain and fatigue of cancer treatments can be diminished thru many self guided techniques in stress management. I want to help support, along with their regular medical care, people faced with life's toughest illnesses.

How do I start?
I have a Master's Degree in Psychology but am no longer a practicing counselor (I loved it but got a better paying job in business). I have run workshops at the company I work at for stress management and conflict resolution but only once a year at a business seminar for women in leadership. I could start a blog regarding the topic but would always want to be careful that what I say is not a substitute for a medical professional. With limited experience (totally out of the field now), I feel like no one will allow me that chance. Bumming myself out.

Just a dream I've had since I was a counselor and saw the benefits I knew was possible but not probable. An individual's health and perspective did improve even though their situation (stressor) had not. It was awesome to help that way.

Thank you for reading and offering any suggestions.
Randie
Randie70
New User
New User

Re: I want to help people heal.

Postby Tituba » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Have you explored teaching a class at your local adult education location? What about senior living centers? Hold talks for the community at libraries?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Randie70 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks, I really like the library idea. I hadn't thought of that. i volunteer at the nursing home my Dad is at and that population loves the company. I could tailor my work to fit their needs better but my favorite is teaching the "why's" behind the method. Those light bulb moments are priceless to me. I thought of our community college but they are only accepting speakers currently in the field. Definitely a thought for after I get started. Appreciate the ideas so much.
Randie70
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 pm

As a stressed out person, I hope you get your wish.

You have a masters in psychology, you've done workshops and you've worked with seniors. That gives you plenty of credentials to write a blog. If some of the people who attended your workshops would be willing to give you a positive review, people would listen to what you say.
As long as you don't recommend anything on your blog that could be harmful, I don't think you have to worry about writing a blog about stress. You could add a disclaimer saying that your suggestions are not a substitute for medical treatment.

Could you get a doctor to review your ideas and give you feedback?

Would a doctor be interested in having you work with his/her patients, at first for free and later for money? (long shot, but way cool if it happened.)

As a first step, you could search the web for other blogs dealing with stress and see what they have to say. :search:

It sounds as if you're already doing your dream. I hope you get to do more of it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Randie70 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks so much Elaine. I like the idea of working with a Dr., especially one who specializes in integrative medicine. Appreciate the vote of confidence too. Yes, I would certainly help for free and I like the blog idea.

Some research states that 95% of all illnesses can be related back to our reactions to stres and how we take care of ourselves during that time. Sorry to hear you're stressed out right now. Take time for you...you matter in ways you don't even realize.

Randie.
Randie70
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 am

Randie70 wrote: I've taken to studying psychoneuroimmunology (just on my own) and how the pain and fatigue of cancer treatments can be diminished thru many self guided techniques in stress management. I want to help support, along with their regular medical care, people faced with life's toughest illnesses.

How do I start? Randie

Hi Randie,

Good for you for asking us directly for help with this after so many years of watching others get help here. Very brave of you! And we'd be happy to help you explore this and sort out ideas.

You ask how to start?

I have some questions about that. Where do you WANT to start? Do you want to work DIRECTLY WITH PEOPLE dealing with cancer treatments? Do you prefer giving LECTURES? Do you like WRITING (ie. the blog) better than working directly with people?

So...........

DIRECTLY WITH PEOPLE?

LECTURES?

WRITING?

Which sounds most appealing to you to start out with? (You can do all 3 later but which first?)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks for the comment, Randie70. I want to think that I matter.

Good questions, Inspire.

For now, this post is just a "good wishes to you."
I hope you take a first step towards your goal, and that you tell us about it. You probably already know this, but a first step is a success, no matter what the outcome, just because you had the courage to do it.

:D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Randie70 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks Elaine. I'm taking your wishes for success to heart. :) I appreciate the words of encouragement and the time you took to write.

Those are good questions Inspire.

Hmmm, well, if I'm honest I would say that I would love to lecture or work one on one with people. Lecturing would come slightly first. I enjoy writing too, so that certainly isn't a bad way to start and in a moment of real honesty, its the one I have the most confidence doing. I need to get out of my comfort zone but seeing how long it took me to even make a post, it's a big obstacle.

I submitted a bio to our local speakers bureau but it seems so lack luster compared to the others. Writing allows me to sort my thoughts publicly and get feedback. It is fun and yes, it's within my comfort zone. Bad habit.

Thought provoking question though and I see my obstacle a bit clearer now. Not sure how to get passed it and I love the thought that I've started my journey to success by making that first step, but I am afraid I can't get myself to make that first call. Ugh.

Thanks for your time in answering, much to ponder. I appreciate the notes from everyone.
Randie70
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Randie,

Keep sharing your process with us by writing here. The more we hear from you, the more feedback we can give.

I don't remember Barbara writing much about comfort zone vs. non-comfort zone. But I do remember her writing lots about JUST GETTING STARTED -- WITH ANYTHING! BABY STEPS!

I'm wondering if you were out there working one on one with people, if that would get the whole thing rolling? Motivate you to write about what comes up when you work with people and motivating you to get out and speak about that, too?

I do know that the local cancer places in this area are always looking for people who want to volunteer to lead a group. Maybe there would be a place like that where you could jump in with some volunteer work. Your resume would definitely get you a spot just about anywhere for volunteering.

What are you doing right now with your time daily? And in the evenings?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 pm

A couple of thoughts to get you started.

Barbara Sher would say make that first baby step so small that you can do it with hardly any stress at all. A first step could be "look up the name or names of cancer centers within thirty miles of where you live."
A second step could be "call the place and find out the name of the person to whom you should speak. (This may turn out to be five or six steps, as person A may tell you to talk to person B who is out of town but . . .) And you'll probably learn something new with each phone call, and may revise what you say to the next person.

Concerning the phone call - maybe you hesitate to make it because you're not sure what you will say. If that's the case, plan what you want to say. Maybe do a practice run with a friend to hear what it sounds like. And if you're not sure about what you want to say, not making the phone call is good sense, not fear.

Another suggestion - make a flow chart or a backwards flowchart showing the steps you need to take. (I assume you've read Wishcraft and know what I'm talking about. The clearer you are about what you want to do, the easier it is.

If you know what you want to say in the phone call, you can use us as a support group. Post here that you plan to call ___________________ and ask/tell him/her _______________________ Then later post what happened. You can also look at pronagger.com which is the same kind of thing. Don't worry if what happens is that you didn't make the phone call. I've posted that many times.

This post is what I would tell me if I were the one making the step. (which by the way I am - I'm trying to find someone who will make my book available and donate profits to an animal charity.) Please take from this anything useful and feel free to ignore what doesn't work for you.

Good vibes to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Yikes, Elaine! Between you and me and our last two posts I hope Randie isn't going to be frightened away for good! :shock:

Randie------DO ANYTHING! IT ALL COUNTS! :D

We're just excited that you're going after this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Sorry if I came on too strong. If I did, please ignore what I wrote.

Good wishes to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Ciska » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 am

Hi Randie,

how about cooperating with a TCM or an Ayurvedic doctor?

My TCM doctor keeps telling me that I'm too stressed and thats where my health problems come from but he does not tell me what I can do to reduce stress and I don't know either because I don't even feel stressed... So the two of you would really complement each other.

What you are doing is awesome and needed by so many people!

Good luck with it and I hope you find the courage to do the first baby steps.

Ciska
Ciska
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:12 am

Ciska wrote:
how about cooperating with a TCM or an Ayurvedic doctor?

Hi Ciska,

Could you explain what a TCM or Ayurvedic doctor are? Thanks!

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:15 am

Hey Ciska,

I just noticed you're new here! Welcome! Glad you joined the Boards! Nice to see someone here from the UK. Hope you'll "visit" the Barbara Sher Boards often!

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties