terrified of not committing. help!

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

terrified of not committing. help!

Postby cocopops15 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting but have been lurking for ages :D anyway, im struggling with a big choice I have to make and could really do with some outside perspective.
Here it is: ive been following Barbaras book and have implemented alot of the tips, im trying to do all the things I want instead of choosing (i teach, paint, write, cook, run a busi ess, learning a new language).
Butbtheres one BIG thing Ive always wanted to do, which is be a lawyer. I never persued it as I always lose interest in things so assume I will with this. Only I've wanted to do it for 18years now!!!! Ive the chance to start college in the fall but I cant bring myself to do it as I'm terrified I won't commit to it. Its expensive, years....I cant make a decision out of fear.
How do I decide?? Help please.
cocopops15
New User
New User

Re: terrified of not committing. help!

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi, Cocopops,

Great logon!

How do you find out if you'll like being a lawyer or not before you spend $$$$$$$$ and lots of time in law school? I think you try it out. Volunteer for some cause you believe in; take the first semester and talk to the professors a lot; talk to lawyer friends; go to the court house and watch trials (if this is still allowed) NEVER try to get out of jury duty. (These are only suggestions. Do any of them sound like fun?)

And there are so many different ways to be a lawyer.

I think the problem is bigger when you're just out of college. Eighteen years later, you probably know yourself better.

I have a friend whose husband got a law degree after he'd raised a family.

I have another friend who got a law degree in his forties. He wrote a few wills and got an interesting opportunity to work with FEMA after Hurricane Katrina. But for the most part he didn't use his degree.

So good wishes, and thanks for posting.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vickih » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:51 pm

If this has been calling you for nearly 20 years I say go for it! Perhaps you feel the fear simply because it's majorly important to you! GO GO GO!!!!
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28 pm

I think we should help you find out about all the ways you could get inside the field of law without going to school at all, so you could take a look and see what you like best, and what you like least.

And I also think it would be very very good if you could tell us everything you can think of about the field of law that you like, or find attractive. We need to know that. Once we know it we might come up with some very good solutions for you before another year passes! I'd sure like to try!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties