Wish: Find more voice students Obstacle: Not sure

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Wish: Find more voice students Obstacle: Not sure

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 am

I think your testimonials and creds are very very impressive, Karen. Is there anywhere on your website, or any other presence on the internet, where you tell any 'success stories?' They should be based on real people, but they can be combinations of different people with similar problems, and you don't have to use real names or identifiers:

"Helen is a 3rd grade teacher in a midwest public school in the U.S.. She has always loved her job but a few years ago she came very close to losing it...." (because of voice problems.) Then quote her problem statement, and go on to tell what questions you asked, and how you worked with her.

If you've worked with people on Skype, use that experience in the story. If you haven't, do it a few times, soon - with volunteers at no charge if necessary.

Contact a publication to interview you with the headline "Voice trainer in Timbuktu fixes voice problems of people 6,000 miles away!"

Then put that on your Facebook page. Then ask us all to share it with our Facebook people. (It goes without saying that you're already helping a whole bunch of people promote themselves that way, too. I know how generous you are with advice here, Karen. Expanding that to other social media is always a good idea if you haven't done it already. ((I haven't checked. Sorry about that.))
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 am

synchronicity wrote:Hi Jazzmuse - My suggestion is that you can improve your site by making it more clear that you are giving singing lessons. There are "voice coaches" out there who teach voice overs which is something different (that's voice overs for tv commercials, radio commercials, etc). So make it clear that you teach singing lessons. Also, your site looks unpolished. It is just a long list of items and it's hard for people to figure out what to do and what you're about. Make it more clear and concise by putting the info into sections or different pages that are easy to find. Also the style and look is very basic and bland. There are all kinds of free or low cost website templates you can find online. Try "jazzing" the look up too. Plus maybe adding some more exciting photos on there, such as a great photo of you teaching a student. (Make sure to get good photos -- good energy, people smiling...) Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Can you send Karen (and us) to some examples, synchronicity? That would be really helpful. Your ideas seem very good but looking at examples of what you mean could really be a game changer.

For instance: "Make it more clear and concise by putting the info into sections or different pages that are easy to find...like these 3 sites do: <link 1>, <link 2>, <link 3>"

And: "Also the style and look is very basic and bland...Here are some contrasts that might be interesting: <link 4>, <link 5>, <link 6>"

Also: "Try "jazzing" the look up too...by which I mean sites like these: <link 7>, <link 8>"

This is great, and stands on its own: "Plus maybe adding some more exciting photos on there, such as a great photo of you teaching a student. (Make sure to get good photos -- good energy, people smiling..." but you'd really be helping a lot if you could find examples of such photos on websites, and how they're positioned, what words, if any, are used as captions. Tedious to explain, but easy to see if you include a link to some examples.

Too often I forget to do this when I'm giving advice, because I can see in my mind's eye what I mean. But I think it can leave the recipient of my help feeling a little overwhelmed and uncertain, and that's the opposite of what any of us want to do.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 am

unpinkpanther wrote:Hi Karen:

The site seems to be offline now.

I think you should start by having a clearer idea
of the type of students you want:

How old are they?

Where do they hang out?

Why should they choose your voice lessons?

And why should they get your lessons now?

Once you get a clearer idea of who you're
targeting, it can help you create unique offers to
draw them in.

Cheers!

Good idea. Can you find any examples of websites that have done this, uninkpanther?

Maybe telling some stories could do the trick.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for trying to help--especially Barbara!!

I just finished making a new website!!

http://www.holisticvoicecoach.com

So far the response has been positive - and the average visitor is reading 3 pages!!

If you'd care to share your thoughts, please let me know!

JazzMuse
Last edited by JazzMuse on Wed May 18, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:57 pm

So much better! I hope you get some clients.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:38 pm

Thank you, Elaine!! :)
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Please let us know how you're doing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Thu May 05, 2016 7:24 am

Hi All!

I reworded the Home page and added a video, personalized the About page, and I now have a Facebook page with over 100 likes.

http://www.facebook.com/KarenLyuJazz

Also, here is my Pinterest page:

http://www.pinterest.com/karenlyu

And my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/karenlyuandfreshjazz

And my Twitter profile:

http://www.twitter.com/karenlyu

And my Reverbnation page:

http://www.reverbnation.com/karenlyuandfreshjazz

Soon, I will do my first Craigslist ad in Seoul!

Please pray for me and wish me luck - and I hope you connect with me, too!

JazzMuse
Last edited by JazzMuse on Wed May 18, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri May 06, 2016 9:39 am

I just noticed your Reverbnation account in your signature.

I'm thinking that the best time to attract voice students might be during your performances. Do your fans know that you offer voice lessons?

Anyway, prayers are going out to you!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am

prayers and luck to you.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 17, 2016 4:46 pm

FREE 10-MINUTE CONSULTATION
by phone or Skype to see if Karen is the right coach for you.
Email karen@holisticvoicecoach.com
and set up your
FREE SESSION NOW!

I had this centered but evidently there isn't any way to do that here. Just imagine it in the center of the page on the site.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

RE: my first post. PEOPLE LOVE FREEBIES! There's nothing like offering something free on your homepage to make them want to stay on your page longer. Plus, once they encounter you on Skype or phone, they'll be comfortable enough to book a session for pay. You can get good at saying, "We're almost out of time. Would you like to book another session"? Anyone can see from your you tube sessions what a wonderful teacher you are. Of course, some people will say thanks for the freebie but no. But others..........you've got a new client!

You definitely need to have that great photo of yourself singing, that you had on your old website. Very visually attractive.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Here's the sample Home Page that I did for Karen. I thought I'd post it here. She decided not to use any of it. Maybe the rest of you can give some feedback on which sections, if any, you'd encourage her to use.

I used a variety of spacing and fonts on the one I sent her but I can't seem to get it to work here. I'll just write -- center -- on places that were centered.

Karen Lyu
Professional Voice Coach
(centered)

“Express your true self through song” (centered)

Whether you're a novice, professional, or anyone in between,
I can help you explore, develop, and create
your best singing voice. (centered)

Remove: physical, emotional, and mental blocks that keep you from singing your best
Improve: clarity, range, and greater depth of emotion
Experiment: with innovative techniques designed specifically for your unique, individual needs
Explore: holistic methods for body awareness, breath control, and relaxation
Expand: your style, experience, and pleasure in singing

Your voice is part of your identity. Whether you share it with the world or only with your intimate loved ones, together we can make it the best it can be.

FREE 10-MINUTE CONSULTATION
by phone or Skype to see if Karen is the right coach for you.
Email karen@holisticvoicecoach.com
and set up your
FREE SESSION NOW!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 17, 2016 7:00 pm

I did an edited version of the "Raves", which wasn't used on the website. You can use this as a comparison to the ones on the site.

I removed the raves which really weren't the best examples. I left out long negative backstories, and focused only on the actual raves of each person; I focused specifically on what the person said about Karen, such as "Karen was great with............" I listed each person's name and location. With a wide range of locations, I spaced them well so as you read, you notice the multiple locations she's taught at. I also arranged them with a variety of clients, mixing pros and beginners, to show that she can teach anyone. Most of all I edited them so that they are positive and uplifting. Here's my edited version of the raves:

"I was completely blown away by what Karen was able to do with my voice by phone in less than 1 hour! I can feel and hear the difference in both my singing and speaking voice! My voice is more clear, resonant and relaxed.”

The biggest thing I got out of the teleclass was how much posture makes a difference. I really enjoyed the experience as much as taking a physical class. I loved the camaraderie of being able to share similar issues in a safe, protected environment. I was able to get results that I wasn't able to get with other teachers!”

"Voice lessons with Karen Lyu are totally transformative! I have referred many acquaintances and dear friends to her and in my experience, she consistently connects people with their powerful and authentic voice and everyone's expectations for the work are exceeded."

"I have been singing since I was a child. When I took a voice lesson from Karen, she helped me realize that by making a few changes in posture, breathing and where to place my voice for different songs, I could make a big difference in my singing. Karen is creative and very good at coaching.”
"I really enjoyed working with Karen. Her patience and encouragement really helped me gain more confidence in singing. It was always great to discuss not just singing, but how to understand the feeling behind what you sing.”

"I learned a great deal from my lessons with Karen and made significant improvements in many areas. She has a terrific sense of humor which made the learning fun and enjoyable. My best friend said, 'I can't believe how much your voice has changed!'"

She's skilled, intuitive and very patient with us novices. Take a few lessons from her, you'll be amazed!"
“She is truly a teacher you can trust to find the missing ingredients in your professional performance. Being a performer, Karen knows what it takes and can pass this on to her students."

"I started singing since age 7, all across South America, and met Karen when I was 27. I have never had a better instructor than Karen (I've had 5). She helped me understand aspects of my own voice I did not acknowledge before. She has a unique approach to teaching. I am very grateful to her."

I put a lot of time, thought and effort into answering the question of how to improve the website. Of course, I don't expect ALL of my suggestions to be used. They are, after all, only suggestions. But to see none of them considered makes me realize I spent WAY TO MUCH of my own time doing this.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JazzMuse » Tue May 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am doing well and enjoying teaching!

InspireSuccess,

I'm sorry that I didn't follow up. I never saw what you suggested until just now.

I will definitely use your version of my Raves. Thank you!!

However, for the home page, I am definitely not a salesy person, and I did mention that to you.

I am very busy right now. I will contact you soon.

I am sorry for being unintentionally inconsiderate.

Hope you are doing okay?

Thanks again!

JazzMuse
JazzMuse
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Idea Parties