Post a video on Youtube

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Post a video on Youtube

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:50 am

I just thought of another wish. For my next project, I want to post a video on Youtube of Molly singing protest songs. I have a telephone and a camera that can do movies. I'm going to want to cut and paste to make the video. Also, I probably want to record the sound separately from the video. I'm envisioning Molly and her friends singing protest songs. Since I can't sing worth beans, someone else will have to provide the music. I'm (distant) friends with the author of the songs I want to have Molly perform. I'm thinking my first stop should be the library for a how to book.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. I am a technophobe.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Post a video on Youtube

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 am

My daughter used "iMovie" to create a video that was required for school. All the computers at that school are some sort of Apple.

She wanted to work on it at home, too, on our Intel / Windows computer. So I looked on SourceForge for free video editing programs that can run on multiple platforms and sent her the following links (but we never tried the programs):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/javaim ... =directory

https://sourceforge.net/projects/camstu ... =directory

The second one technically is a screen recorder, but it claims that it can also edit video. Feel free to check out the other suggestions offered by SourceForge, especially if they're "Production" or "Stable" releases. But avoid the ads.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for the question, and no, it's not stupid. I'm technologically challenged, so anything techy is hard for me. The hardest part for me is that the sound and the visual will probably have to be made separately and then blended to make the video with sound. My singer is a tough cookie, (she used to professionally sing opera) but she's an older lady and probably can't go "on location."

And she's just going to have to sing the song straight through. I don't know how to record this to get good quality.

The video will have several splices - Molly singing and making gestures, some dogs dancing, and some people dancing, and a couple of still shots. The video bits will be picked and cut to go with the words and the music.

Thanks for asking. It motivates me to take a couple of steps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:06 pm

DigitalUrbanPrepper,

Hi, thanks for all the great posts.

Just know this. Check the dates of the last posts. If no one's posted there for a year or so, they've probably either gotten their answer and moved on or just moved on. However, I've read and enjoyed your posts including the ones you wrote for other people. So thanks and welcome.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:15 pm

p.s. DigitalUrbanPrepper,

Do you have a wish and obstacle posted somewhere here? I haven't found one yet.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Elaine,

This post was quite awhile back. Please share with us the knowledge you've learned and the progress you've made. It could help others with this type of project. I know from the Steppers Thread that you've moved forward quite a bit. I also know that Molly is quite a bit older! I know your personal life is challenging now and you probably can't work on it. I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I find that sometimes when I list the progress I've made, it's surprising how much I've accomplished. Sometimes, it gives me a boost to move forward again, when I see how much I've already done. I make an actual list, one item at a time vertically. For example:

Bought the outfits
Found a singer
Taught Molly her moves
Found a camera
Practiced with Molly
Found a location

I'd love to see a list here of all you've accomplished and learned. I'm proud of you for what you've done so far!

Personally, I do not know anything about this field. Maybe if we bring it up again, someone new might have some suggestions.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for the post, Inspire,

Here are the problems I'm still dealing with.

I've been using a camera phone to record the clip, and I think I need to buy or rent a movie camera. The phone is too hokey.

Molly is pretty good about letting me dress and undress her, and she'll stay for long enough to get the shot. We had to practice that a lot, and I have to keep practicing. Molly wears a skirt, and a child gets under the skirt to make Molly's "hands" One problem was that Molly wanted to sit too far back on the couch, and you get an obvious bump where the kid's head is, and the whole thing looks hokey. Trying to make Molly move is frustrating; she doesn't understand what I want. i've been putting a pillow on the couch so she has to sit farther forward, and that helps. Molly also wears an Elizabethan collar when we do the shoot. That's the plastic cone that keep dogs from licking their wounds. I put the collar on backwards, so it fans out around her body instead of up at her head. That makes the shot more realistic. A problem is that a couple of times I've had problems getting the cone off. Molly gets her paw stuck in the narrow part of the cone, or her collar gets stuck in the cone, and it's really important to keep the actress happy, or she'll just walk off set through the doggie door, and that's the end of the shoot. next time, I'm going to take her dog collar off before I start. And I've been practicing taking off the collar before Molly can wiggle into a difficult position.

The other problem is that my fellow artists and actresses have lives and troubles of their own, and aren't always available at the same time. This includes me. We have other places to be and other things to do.

I haven't given up on the idea, but it's stalled right now.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Elaine,

Your description just made my evening! What a hilarious image of all this going on. :lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:35 pm

You can shoot video with a recent-model point-and-shoot digital camera. That might give you a better result. Plus, the camera body usually has a threaded hole that will enable you to mount it on tripod. Even a small, inexpensive tabletop tripod might be good enough. How's the lighting?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:00 pm

When I tried to use my camera, it wouldn't allow me to shoot long enough to get a useful video. The whole video takes about three minutes, and each part of the video takes about a little more than a half minute. My camera might not be new enough.

So far, lighting hasn't been a problem. We're shooting it in the living room on my couch.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:When I tried to use my camera, it wouldn't allow me to shoot long enough to get a useful video. The whole video takes about three minutes, and each part of the video takes about a little more than a half minute. My camera might not be new enough.

So far, lighting hasn't been a problem. We're shooting it in the living room on my couch.

Hello Elaine, Is this done? where can I watch the video?
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

I don't think I'll be able to shoot the video. I'd still like to do it, but most of my friends have "moved on" and aren't interested in helping me any more. There's a problem that I don't want to mention here, but it's a worry. Finally, I probably need to buy a movie camera. I don't know anyone who'll lend one to me. And I hate to buy a camera just for this one video, if I'm not sure I have any friends who'll help me film it.
So, for now, there's no video. And Molly (dog) is 15 years old, so she's not going to be around too much longer.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:18 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I don't think I'll be able to shoot the video. I'd still like to do it, but most of my friends have "moved on" and aren't interested in helping me any more. There's a problem that I don't want to mention here, but it's a worry. Finally, I probably need to buy a movie camera. I don't know anyone who'll lend one to me. And I hate to buy a camera just for this one video, if I'm not sure I have any friends who'll help me film it.
So, for now, there's no video. And Molly (dog) is 15 years old, so she's not going to be around too much longer.

I was thinking that maybe your 3 minute time limit is because you are using a small card. I could check your camera out (the manual), to see if it can do the job. If you want to, you can tell me the camera model.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi, Fotografa,

As you've probably figured out, I don't know a lot about photography or making videos.

My camera is a Niikon "Coolpix" The camera will only shoot a video for a few seconds, not three minutes. Three minutes is the approximate length of the video that I wanted to make. Our camera phones will shoot a video for the length of time we need, but it's poor quality. The biggest problem is positioning Molly and the child so that the gestures look natural.

I've given up on the idea. if i go back to it, there are somethings I have to do before actually shooting it. Molly will have to be re-trained. I'll have to learn how to use the camera. And I think I do have to buy a movie camera for this to work. And then I have to round up my "crew" and they'll have to learn their parts again.

I would still like to make it happen, but I'm not as excited about it as I once was. We tried to shoot it. We couldn't make it work. And that made me want to give up.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties