Wish to Earn a Living

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish to Earn a Living

Postby freya221b » Sun May 22, 2016 10:18 pm

I wish I could be supporting myself financially doing work that's at least moderately meaningful to me.

My obstacles:

1. I'm broke right now, living on a small monthly stipend given to me by an irritated family member. Because of this, I'm trapped in a city that I dislike.
2. I've been assiduously job-hunting for two years, and I can't get interviews. I have a master's degree, I'm an excellent communicator/writer/editor, I'm smart and dedicated and a fast learner -- but no one seems willing to consider hiring me.
3. My self-esteem is suffering, so it's hard to keep cranking out job applications.

Thanks for reading. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.
freya221b
New User
New User

Re: Wish to Earn a Living

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Freya,

Job hunting is hard!!!! :bash: :bash: What field is your masters in? Do you have anyone to read over your resumes and applications and make suggestions? And do you have anyone to practice interviewing with? What kinds of jobs would you consider "good enough?" If you want to vent frustration, feel free to do it here.

You said you don't like where you're living right now. If you get a job in that city, you'll be living there or close by.

I've been retired long enough that I can't give you any concrete suggestions about how to find a job. The rules and methods have all changed. I don't know what to do with Linkedin. All I can say about that is stay up to date. When I was job hunting, the Employment Development Department (which was called the unemployment office back then) had a program to help professionals get jobs. If it's still around, check it out.
Look under "Success Stories" May 2016 daily steppers'" There's someone in exactly the same situation, and maybe you can commiserate.

There's a great book, "What Color is Your Parachute." It's more about finding what job you'd enjoy that how to get hired, but you might get some useful tips from it.

And just keep plugging away. When I was looking for a job, they told us, right now you have a job. It's called looking for work, and you should spend as much time doing that as you would if you were employed.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Nothing to add to Elaine's reply. Just wanted to wish you luck!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby La Fenice » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:04 am

Hello Freya!

I might have a few tips for you!
1) keep a journal of each CV you send.
2) It is ok to send CVs only online but this method is not always preferred.
3) Search for all the companies you could work for, those around you (or relatively around you)
4) find out the name of the head of HR - you can either stalk the company on linkedin or you can call them directly and ask the name of the head of HR of the company. Don't reveal you are an applicant. Actually you should ask for the e-mail, but usually the name is enough to work out the e-mail itself (usually name.surname @ company.website)
5) Now you have a choice: you should DEFINITELY bring your CV in paper form. You enter and go to the secretary desk. Hand her your CV, placed in a sealed envelope with the name of the HR manager on it. Tell the secretary that you have a document for Name Surname and ask if she could kindly give it to him/her.
If the secretary asks what it is, simply say that it is a document this person is waiting for.
Yes, probably she will guess it is a CV but it is not likely that she will open the envelope or throw it away without giving it to the HR manager: in fact as the envelope is closed, she cannot be 100% sure ;)
6) After a couple of days, if you haven't heard from them, you should follow up via e-mail to the HR manager (include the CV in the mail).

Yes, it sounds like stalking but it shows you are determined.

All the best!
La Fenice
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Freya,

Welcome. Hopefully, you'll get some useful info here.

There's a thin, little resume book, called "The Damn Good Resume Guide", which has helped me a lot in the past. If you haven't seen it, it might help you tweak your resume. Even if you like your resume, as is, it might help you see yourself in a fresh way. Seeing yourself in a fresh way when you're feeling burnt out, can at least help you feel better.

Hang in there! We're here to help you.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi again. Just checking in to see how you're doing. What you wrote initially gives us an overall view of where things are with you.

Now.............let us know more specifics. Give us more details.

Let us know if there are any particular areas that you want to focus on the most -- RIGHT NOW.

Remember, Barbara always encourages us to break things down to the small steps. Not only are they more doable, it keeps us from being overwhelmed when we focus on the whole picture. Like TWO YEARS of job hunting!

I'm still here. Listening. We are all still here to help.

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Hey there, Barbara Sher folks!

There have been 140 views of this thread and very little help. Jump on board! This was posted in the Idea Parties section. Let's party! Let's brainstorm! Let's help this person out. Even if you just say "wishing you luck!" that would help!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am

Yes, but the OP hasn't responded to Elaine's post. I don't mind wishing luck (again), but this single-post-user hasn't logged in since May 25, and I don't think he or she will see it.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:35 am

You're right, Square Peg. If she doesn't come back there's no point. I didn't pay attention to the date she posted. I thought maybe she was waiting for a bigger response. But maybe she was just a one-time poster. Thanks for pointing that out!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 am

You're welcome! It's reassuring that folks like you are here, showing concern for all who ask for help!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Idea Parties