I wished I had an interested hobby publicist

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I wished I had an interested hobby publicist

Postby lostideaslab » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:49 am

-

Hi,

I posted something about a year ago, that I have lots of wishes and lots of obstacles, since then I have moved a bit forward. Now my ideas have a place to be presented: http://lostideaslab.com/

I publish my thoughts regarding some matters on a Journal on the website: http://lostideaslab.com/journal/

But I can’t get any viewer. I know these ideas are good and I even started a blog, sharing my daily life, so it might make a connection with people: http://lostideaslab.com/blog/ but still nothing happened.

I am looking for someone who can help me get a bit of publication regarding this ideas and publications because I am simply awful at social networking and things like this. If you would scale people from 0 to 10, my grade would be -100!

Currently, I am not able to pay any fee to someone, so I wish to find someone who will be interested in some of these ideas and who will also be interested in being a part-time publicist.

The best thing I ever tried was to share the link of one of my poems on StumbleUpon and the site hit something like 300 visitors for three days in a row but it did never happen again! So I don’t think, I am going to be liked by everyone but I think there is a minority who might be interested in such things - here is that poem: http://lostideaslab.com/poems/homeless/

I am trying to get a book being published and I will be interested if someone could help out and get this book to those who might need or enjoy it, to share a percentage of the sells but currently I am myself out of money —more or less, and I can’t pay someone in advance.

Could you help me finding such person?

[thanks for taking time and reading this though]
lostideaslab
New Poster
New Poster

Re: I wished I had an interested hobby publicist

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:54 am

Hi,

There is so much here in your thread that I felt a bit lost and overwhelmed reading it. Also, I looked quickly at your links and felt the same way. Too many things going in too many different directions.

I know you can't afford to pay someone, but I'm going to suggest one thing that you could try. She's an online coach that Barbara recommended. Her website is ProNagger.com. She charges $50 per 20 minutes, which was a lot for me to spend. I only talked to her once, but it was so helpful. She help me cut through all the confusion and get focused on one thing that helped me move forward. It helped a lot, even though I couldn't afford more. I plan on paying for another session when I get stuck again. It was really worth the money. Plus, from time to time she offers discounts and recently she even offered a free 20 minute session.

She also has something that I haven't used yet. It's a FREE FORUM that people post on. I can't give you info about it, but you might want to check it out. She seems to be a person who is really good at getting people FOCUSED, which I think would help you.

Good luck!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:15 am

P.S.

I didn't feel like I could spend $50 so I waited until she offered a discount when she was only charging $27. I felt I could afford that. That's why I was willing to give her a try. You might want to sign up for her email alerts so you can know when she's offering a discount or a freebie.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:28 am

P.P.S.

I received an email recently that offered a free session. I didn't take advantage of it because she helped me so much I didn't need it! This offer isn't listed on her website. You might try emailing her and saying "I have a friend who received an email recently that said you're offering a free session. Is that offer still available?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby lostideaslab » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:19 am

Hi Inspire Success and thanks for reply,

Few things to consider:
- I am working on these ideas over years and it is natural to feel "overwhelmed" if you expect from yourself to know everything in 4 minutes. You may need couple of months to get to know my writing, poetry and etc. just like any other thing in life, either it is a good fit for your current situation, or you may need a lot of time to be able to understand what's going on ...
- If you have read Barbara's book, it is about "refuse to choose" and being a "scanner" and that's exactly what people who "focus" doesn't enjoy doing, because they "focus" and "scanner"s look around and "scan" the environment ... I think I am best a "Jack of all trader"

I really wish to find/meet someone who is interested in my ideas, and is eager to promote these ideas, to others who might be interested in them as well and the barrier is I have not the faintest idea, where to look for such person and I don't know how to build a relationship with such person ...
lostideaslab
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 am

You can self-publish a book on CreateSpace for free.

I also would like to have a publicist interested in my work who would do everything that I don't want to do.

The best I can suggest is to get a friend who also has ideas, and help each other. Start with just one idea so that you can finish it before you get bored with it.

it's true that scanners don't like to focus on just one thing, but a scanner can focus on one task if he/she really wants to do something or has to do something. Having a friend to talk about it helps. You might want to make the first task something very short and simple that you can complete without getting bored too much.

If you wrote a book, you must have focused on that for quite some time.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:08 am

I just figured out what's missing. There has to be some reason for your publicist to want to help you. You can't afford to pay him/her. Is there something else you can do for this person? A percentage of profits? Help with something he/she is doing?

An idea party might be a way to find someone. And it's a chance for people to tell you what they need as well as you talking about your ideas.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby lostideaslab » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:26 am

-
Dear Elaine,
Thank you for your responses.
Let me start with the most important issue:
Absolutely. I never imagined to abuse the contribution of someone to my works and ideas … You know, the point is that I am not making any money at all, but as soon as we could manage to have any sort of income with the help of that person, he or she is going to receive his or her fair share. I assume that such things would be rather discussed after we found someone interested, but in general I believe something between 5 to 15 percent would be fine, based on what he or she is doing …
Secondly. I believe the most important outcome is working on amazing ideas … I mean, I hope to find someone who is interested in this ideas and indeed these ideas are not typical-commercial works. Surely I have to pay my bills as well but what things I am working on, are going to have huge impact on the world (the start up side of the ideas) or otherwise I hope the would have huge impact on life of individuals (like poems and stories and so on …). So, I hope the experience of working together on this ideas and the experience of being someone who first contributed to publication of these works, I hope this could be someone thing that he or she will be proud of and happy about …
It is not that I don’t focus on works. I have very separated interests but a limited number of interests and working on one of them makes me sick —that’s why Barbar’s book really caught my attention, even though I first started reading it when I was about 19 years old and it made me accept the idea that I don’t have to work all day long on a single matter—, here is my current life ritual: working on several ideas each day and picking up ideas over and over again during a month, yes it means that I don’t finish things as fast as I would have, if I had sit down on one of these let say for 1 week or one month without stop but this doesn’t help me. Such a life style usually pushes me towards being emotionally exhausted … and I can’t stop my mind from working on other ideas in the background …
I am not proud of this fact but the truth is I am awful in communication, throwing an idea party for you perhaps is the most natural thing to do, but I can’t.
There are simply no people that I can call and say, “hay, can you help me with that …” especially at this point in my life, because now I am living in yet another city and I don’t speak the native language, so simply no connection. In general more or less the social part of my life is kind of destroyed. I am working on this actually, I picked up books here and there, the only book I found helpful in that respect was “How to make friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie but I didn’t like to use such suggests because to me the book seemed to be based on manipulating people instead of building a genuine relationship based on authenticity and honesty. Let me tell you the bottom line of my life: I don’t have one single person who supports me and my ideas, so you can imagine that throwing an idea party and finding a friend to become my publicist is not really one of my strengths but I agree with the suggestion.
lostideaslab
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Idea Parties