Wish to see mountains / ocean with family for first time.

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Wish to see mountains / ocean with family for first time

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 am

We call them junk yards also. But I save that word for the bad ones. Probably too much information, but I wanted to give the whole picture. And of course I don't know what the ones in Kansas are like. My point is: do your research, go with a friend, and go with your eyes open. But I stand behind my guys %100 who took a trashy industry and made something really good out of it. As Barbara would say, it's a gift to be able to take junky old cars and RVs and provide such a useful service, and to do it in a way that leaves the earth a little bit cleaner.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 pm

I still say "sneakers" which people continually get offended by! "They're running shoes, they're walking shoes, they're jogging shoes..."

I stopped saying "pop" a long time ago. Now I'm a "soda" gal.

What are "singles" and "ones"?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 pm

'Singles' and 'ones' are one dollar bills. :)
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:47 pm

I've never heard anyone call them "singles". Both coasts I've lived on say "ones". This has been fun, although I know it detracts from the focus of your thread! I guess it's nice to lighten up occasionally! :lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Not to be left out.

I say Keds, sneakers, and tennis shoes. Ones and soda or soft drinks.

Okay, I'm done.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Good night, John Boy. Good night, Jim Bob. Good night, Jennifer. Good night, Elaine. (Hope someone knows what I'm talking about here!)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:35 am

:D Waltons
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Yep!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:26 am

I've been talking to a friend who owns an RV. She just bought one for $3600 but it needs work. She said she cruised the neighborhood and looked over fences into people's back yards. (Some people would call this behavior suspicious.) When she found an RV in a back yard, she suspected that the owner didn't use it, and she knocked on the door, asked if he/she wanted to sell it.

Also, the radio station I listen to accepts RVs as donations. It's in California, so I don't think it would help you, but there might be radio stations or other charities in Kansas that accept RVs as donation. Caution: You don't know what shape the motor is in.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 am

Elaine,

I think your first suggestion is very Barbara Sher-ish. A good idea. Look. Ask. ASK EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, including clerks at the grocery store, "Do you know of anyone who has an RV to sell for X amount of money"?

I did a similar BS (Barbara Sher) approach when I needed to rent a house. EVERY PERSON I MET, I asked, "Do you know of a house for X much rent"? Finally, a stranger I asked, said yes, she knew of a place. I ended up in a town I'd never heard of, but I was able to rent a little house instead of an apartment, which is what I needed. (I hate living in apartments. I desperately needed a house).

ASK EVERYONE YOU MEET. For me, it was really hard to do. I had to push myself a lot. I'm not someone who is comfortable chatting with strangers. But BS suggested it, so I did it. And it paid off.

I know the 2nd idea won't work. When I needed a car and had no money, people suggested that. But what happens is, people donate cars etc. and then the organization uses those donations to help a specific cause. They won't give them directly to a person who needs it.

It's worth a try, I suppose, but I never got anywhere with it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:05 am

I think charities sell the cars and use the profits from the sales. The big caution here is that you don't know what condition the RV is in. I donated a car to charity once. I told them you could drive it about six blocks before the engine overheated. About six months later DMV informed me that I hadn't paid the parking ticket on this car. I'm sure what happened is that some unsuspecting soul bought the car, drove it about six blocks, said some bad words, and abandoned it in a red zone. They hadn't transferred ownership yet.

As I think about it, police have auctions with unclaimed cars.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:15 am

Thank you for all the tips! I am using them all the best I am able. You are the best. I really appreciate the conversation here. I have been looking and looking. Still nothing. I am getting a little discouraged as this lull drags on, but I am still working on it! I will let you know if there is a development. :)
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:
As I think about it, police have auctions with unclaimed cars.

I hadn't thought about that. I think that's true -- abandoned cars etc. But I think the condition they are in might be really bad. Also, I think banks sell cars that people defaulted on. Probably, much more expensive but in better shape.

Jennifer, let our suggestions wash over you. Elaine and I love brainstorming. We don't expect you to try everything we suggest. We just let our brains drift and record the results! And they drift a lot! At least I can say that for myself and after knowing Elaine for awhile I think I can safely say her brain tends to work the same as mine! It's play time for us and we enjoy it.

Being on the other side of it and feeling overwhelmed with the suggestions can be hard. Don't push yourself on our account. One step at a time in whatever area feels right for you at the moment. We're happy with whatever you do or don't do. This is a big project. Not something that can easily be knocked off in a week.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

I second everything Inspire Success said. Lulls are hard. You're waiting for someone else to do the next step and, until the RV surfaces, there's nothing you can do about it. Maybe your next step could be to find ways to make a few extra dollars and stash them away. When you do find an RV, you'll be needing money to buy it and fix it up. As Inspire said, this is just a suggestion. Internet friends are just people, and we don't know your family as well as you do.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:08 am

Hi again,

How are things going, Jennifer? Have you had a good break from working on this project? Have you stepped away for awhile and given yourself a breather? Sometimes ideas need to percolate for awhile before something fresh comes up.

Thinking of you.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Idea Parties