Wish to see mountains / ocean with family for first time.

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Wish to see mountains / ocean with family for first time

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:18 pm

SquarePeg wrote:I wonder if older RVs are like pianos. Once you decide to get rid of a piano, you hope that someone would take it away for free.

I think so. Or at least for not very much money.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Jennifer,

What town do you live in? What is the closest large city and how long does it take you to drive there? I have an idea but I need that info first.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 pm

It takes about an hour to get to Wichita, KS.
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:36 pm

I am not so sure about that first RV. The owner said he would work with us and that he'd get back with me, but I have not heard from him. I the mean time, I see that he is trying to sell it to other people on the swap site...
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:46 pm

SquarePeg gave me this idea when he mentioned getting stuff for free.

There's an org called freecycle.org. They have a chapter in Wichita, KS. You post what you're looking for and if people have it they contact you. Everything is free. Usually, it's much smaller items but it doesn't hurt to post what you need. You're allowed to re-post after a month if you don't get a reply.

I've used the one close to me for many years. I give away whatever I have no matter how small. I've given things away as small as a bag of slightly used makeup and bigger things like a patio umbrella. I've received things like a drafting table and a sewing machine. And when I was really poor people gave me a bunch of soap, shampoo, etc. It can be really big or really small. Giving. Receiving. I used to think I had nothing to give but the more I looked around the more small items I found. And people wanted them.

It costs nothing to join. It costs nothing to post. It's worth a try.

And yes, SquarePeg, people give away pianos there!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:31 pm

That is a great idea, Inspire. I will definitely give it a try! Thank you!
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:18 am

Great idea, Inspire,

Jennifer, I hope you find something useful.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:54 pm

So far, the admin for the group has not let me post about it. My post is immediately deleted. Not sure what is happening. I am following guidelines...
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Have you contacted the administrator to ask? The point of the organization is to keep things out of landfill. I don't know what happens to RVs when they no longer work. Does anyone know? Do they use the metal for something? Maybe they think the item is too big? I don't know because the things I've asked for were much smaller. It could be the size of the item, but the administrator should explain to you what the issue is. Maybe they have some "no automobiles" policy.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am

Maybe you have to wait a couple of days before you can post.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:22 am

RV's and cars go to auto dismantlers (aka junk yards.) (I inspected them in my old job.) Fluids are immediately drained and recycled. Batteries are recycled. Freon from the fridge and from the AC unit is also captured. The mercury switches that turn on the lights are pulled out and handled as hazardous waste. Auto parts and RV parts are available for sale. Tires are sold or removed by haulers registered to do tires. (In the old days, we had two tire fires in CA. They burned for weeks.) When everything is sold that can be sold, the rest of the auto is crushed and the metal is sold for scrap.

When done correctly, the whole process is very cool. The good yards have everything inventoried. some yards have everything on racks so you can find anything you want immediately. The ground is clean crushed rock, and the yard is cleaner than my garage (which isn't saying much.)

And reputable yards work with each other, so if you call Joe's Auto Salvage asking for a distributor cap for a 1999 Chevy Impala, and he doesn't have it, he'll tell you where to go to get one. (Disreputable one will try to sell you something they have that doesn't work.)

In the old days, nothing was drained or recycled. The ground was an oily swamp, When the cars were crushed, oil, gasoline, antifreeze, and battery acid leaked out of the cars and onto the ground. Tires were piled in heaps, and when the heaps got too big, they were either taken to the dump or dumped in empty lots.

Now you can access a dismantler on the Internet, and check their inventory of cars.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Elaine,

I was thinking of the "junk yards" as a great place for Jennifer to get parts for the RV once they find one. Thanks for the extensive explanation. Very interesting!

But...does that mean that someone wouldn't be allowed to give an RV away online? Would there be some law against that? My guess is it might just be the organization rules.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 am

Yes, you can give or sell an RV on line, the same way you can sell a car. The rules only apply to someone who is going to crush cars in the course of doing business. If a car is in good enough shape to sell, the junk yard won't drain the fluids either. They'll sell a car intact if it can be used as a car.

I loved my job, so I had fun with that last post talking about auto salvage yards. (I can't bring myself to call the good ones junk yards.)

I agree that a salvage yard would be a great place for Jennifer to get parts cheaply to repair an old RV. It sounds as if your husband is handy at fixing things, so he'd have a handle on finding good parts. Once, when I was poor and had to get a car repaired, I went to a dismantler and got two car panels, a bumper and a rear light for about $200. I got my car fixed and rented a car for a week, and came out ahead of the $2000 dollars that the insurance company gave me, which was about $1000 less than the quote I got from the auto body shop.

Note - There are salvage yards and there are junk yards. And junk yards can be ugly places - junk yard dogs, drugs, nasty characters. I had no trouble inspecting the good ones by myself, but there were some that I only inspected with a partner.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:41 am

"Junk yards". "Salvage Yards".

I grew up in the country and the way people referred to things was different. Here in CA it's "salvage yards". Even though I've lived here my whole adult life, my "hick" upbringing still pops up. Where I grew up a "creek" was a "crick", a "wolf" was a "woof", a "roof" was a "ruff", etc.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jennifer623 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks for the tips. That is a great idea for parts. I guess I never realized there was such a difference in quality between the two.

The regional differences in language are interesting, aren't they? My husband is originally from NY, and I have always lived in KS. He says 'sneakers', I say 'tennis shoes'. He says 'singles', I say 'ones'. He says 'soda', I say 'pop'. He says 'idear', I say 'idea'. People have no idea what he is talking about when he says things like 'singles', so he is beginning to speak like a Kansan. :lol:
Jennifer623
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Idea Parties