Idea party for a digital detox retreat!

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Idea party for a digital detox retreat!

Postby Mariya » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:45 pm

How can I set up an idea party for a digital detox retreat? I'm looking for one or more cohosts, land ideas, and ideas about how to make it happen! Living in Brooklyn, NY! We could discuss it here or meet at a café?
Mariya
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Idea party for a digital detox retreat!

Postby k8k8 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 am

Location suggestions:

National parks - camp grounds with basic facilities, nature, and terrible signal reception in general.

Religious communities; monasteries, convents, etc, of basically any mainstream religion - They frequently earn income by offering lodging and sometimes boarding with meals in their unused rooms and buildings, they are inexpensive, sometimes they are in nature (particularly Buddhist) - and if they even get signal reception they often have rules about using devices anyway, they are quiet (if that's what you want), so you may be limited in your activity choice somewhat.

just city parks - you can't camp in them but a few hours might be nice/all some people can stand https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... n_Brooklyn

Finding participant suggestions:
Go low tech to catch people already taking breaks from e-life, and also go high-tech to catch those just thinking about it.

Low:
ads in local print community newspapers / magazines - there are 4 where i live! :shock:
flyer posters with tearoff thingys in low-tech places - real bulletin boards at libraries, book shops, music shops, garden shops,

High:
post invites to online local area groups / pages (for a reasonable travel distance from the event location) eg facebook brooklyn, craigslist brooklyn
k8k8
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:35 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mariya » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for the ideas! And that was a great video, very inspirational.
Mariya
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 am

Great video. I'm not a big fan of social media, but I did identify with watching too much Netflix, and sitting in front of the computer way to much. And I do get an icky feeling and I sleep poorly.

I'm going to do some kind of Internet detox. I'm not sure exactly what it will be.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I've already given you most of my ideas about an Internet detox retreat, but If you get an idea party going here on the boards, I'll be part of it and cheer you on.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mariya » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you! There's a lot of great ideas about digital detoxes online! Start with 1 or 2 days of no internet and see how you feel!
Mariya
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am

Mariya wrote:Thank you! There's a lot of great ideas about digital detoxes online! Start with 1 or 2 days of no internet and see how you feel!

I'm going to do that.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Idea Parties