Gardening

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Gardening

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 pm

LalithaN wrote:Hi Gardeners,
All your posts are very interesting.I have a terrace garden with plants in grow bags and earthenware pots. I have 3 mango trees, one pomegranate, a neem, some varieties of jasmines and some herbs like Basil, Aloe vera etc..
That sounds so nice!

LalithaN wrote:Why glassware and tin cans? why not earthernware pots? [terracotta]. Terracotta will adjust itself according to the weather and provide a good home for plants. Also more cheaper than glassware and you can paint them to your taste.-snip-
When I recommended a glass container above, it was for filling with water for stem cuttings. And I was stating that a "tin can" would be a poor choice for this purpose. Terracotta, as well, is not a good choice because it's too porous and can't hold water unless it's glazed. I do like terracotta planters used in the usual manner (for a plant with an established root system in a soil medium).
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 am

Hi SquarePeg,
Thanks for the compliments. Though it is a small venture, I love my plants.
I didn't know you were suggesting glassware for water based plant growing. I simply thought of regular soil based plants. Thanks for clarification.

How did you do double quoting?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am

I added this
Code: Select all
[/quote]
after the "Basil, Aloe vera etc.." of your post.

Then after I wrote "That sounds so nice!" I added this
[quote="LalithaN"]
further down.

The CODE window below shows how the post looks in the editor on my computer....

[quote="LalithaN"]Hi Gardeners,
All your posts are very interesting.I have a terrace garden with plants in grow bags and earthenware pots. I have 3 mango trees, one  pomegranate, a neem, some varieties of jasmines and some herbs like Basil, Aloe vera etc.. [/quote]That sounds so nice!

[quote="LalithaN"]Why glassware and tin cans? why not earthernware pots? [terracotta]. Terracotta will adjust itself according to the weather and provide a good home for plants. Also more cheaper than glassware and you can paint them to your taste.-snip-[/quote]When I recommended a glass container above, it was for filling with water for stem cuttings.  And I was stating that a "tin can" would be a poor choice for this purpose.  Terracotta, as well, is not a good choice because it's too porous and can't hold water unless it's glazed.  I do like terracotta planters used in the usual manner (for a plant with an established root system in a soil medium).

Here's a link to the Help file that describes these codes.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 am

Thank You SquarePeg, for your detailed reply.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm

My plan of plastic then manure has a major flaw. Other places that have plastic have stones covering them which allows rain water to go under the stones. If I had manure or soil over the plastic the water would turn into mud during the rains. Now my plan is just putting the plastic down to stop the weeds that are already there and figure out the rest later.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Inspire,
I used to see a lot of terrace gardening videos. In them, many people follow this method, to cover the soil in their pots or grow bags so that water doesn't get evaporated easily by hot sun, no weeds grow and water gets easily into the soil. I think this method can be useful for you.

Cover the soil with coconut fibres or dry grass tightly. If you are using them on ground straightly, you have to keep some bricks on the edges and scatter some small stones here and there so that they won't move.
If you use plastic, won't it be slippery to walk on them?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 pm

LalithaN wrote: If you use plastic, won't it be slippery to walk on them?
Yes, that's why I wanted to cover the plastic with something nice to walk on. I could look into free wood chips. I haven't looked into that yet. I'd have to find someone to help me with it. The goal at this point is to put the plastic down and that's it for now. It will kill the weeds there now and keep new ones from coming. Yes, the other people won't like to have to walk on the plastic which will reach into the pathway. One step at a time. I have to realize there's not a lot I can do about it right now so I'm going to buy the plastic, put it down, and if anyone is annoyed by it I'll deal with it. There's really only 4 other people that use that part of the pathway and they're not there every day so hopefully they won't mind.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Idea Parties