OBSTACLE - Common Theme in my Interests

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

OBSTACLE - Common Theme in my Interests

Postby wojtekLI » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:24 am

Hello my fellow Scanners,

I have read "Refuse to Choose" and I learned that I am a Wanderer. I compiled a list of all the books I have read since 2014. If I could ask for people to help me find a common theme and also make suggestions what kind of job that would translate into I would be very, very grateful. :D

How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
How to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You
Undercover Sex Signals: A Pickup Guide for Guys
How to Instantly Connect with Anyone
How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--and Lovers--and Keeping Them for Life
Think BIG and Kick Ass in Business and Life
No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline for Success in Your Life
Rich Dad Poor Dad
Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Guide to Financial Freedom
Think and Grow Rich
Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan
Women & Money - Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny
Financial Freedom - Creating True Wealth Now
The Money Class - Learn to Create Your New American Dream
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Belly Fat Cure Sugar & Carb Counter
Sugar Addiction: The Ultimate Sugar Addiction Cure: The Step by Step Process on How to Beat Sugar Addiction Forever in 21 Days or Less
Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
The Alchemist
Marry Him - The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough
Boundaries in Marriage
Dissolving Barriers: Discover Your Subconscious Block to Love, Health, and a Powerful Self-Image
11 Simple Steps: To Writing, Designing, Self-Publishing & Marketing Your Very First Book
Converse with Charisma! How to Talk to Anyone and Enjoy Networking
Emotional Intelligence For Sales Success. Connect With Customers and Get Results
The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Rich
How to Dump your Wife: Practical advice for the Good man trapped in a Bad marriage
Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as told by Christian
The Attractor Factor Second Edition
The Five Love Languages - Singles Edition
Altar Ego
The Identity Code
Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
The New Rules of Marketing and PR 2.0
The Ultimate Introduction to NLP: How to build a successful life
Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick & Lasting Life Change
This One Is Mine: A Novel
Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
Through a Man's Eyes: Helping Women Understand the Visual Nature of Men
Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti: Understanding and Delighting in Your Differences
Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
The Leap: Launching Your Full-Time Career in Our Part-Time Economy
The Rook: A Novel
Male Sexuality: Why Women Don't Understand It-And Men Don't Either
Everything I Never Told You: A Novel
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
Get the Guy: Learn Secrets of the Male Mind to Find the Man You Want and the Love You Deserve
Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself Paperback
The Dance of Intimacy: A Women's guide to courageous acts of change in the key relationships
The Dance of Anger: A women's guide to changing the patterns of intimate relationships
Intimate Strangers: Men and Women together
The Comfort Trap: Or, What if You're Riding a Dead Horse?
Project Management for Dummies UK Edition
Confidence: How to Overcome Your Limiting Beliefs and Achieve Your Goals
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
How to Get What You Want
Art of Mingling: Easy, Fun and Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room
Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
The 80/20 Manager:The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
The $100 Startup
What Your CPA Isn't Telling You: Life-Changing Tax Strategies
The Power of Zero: How to Get to the 0% Tax Bracket and Transform Your Retirement
The Ultimate Dropshipping Guide
Dropshipping 101: The Ultimate Guide to Building a Location-Independent Business with 0 Capital
Book the Business: How to Make Big Money with Your Book Without Even Selling a Single Copy
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
Richest man in babylon
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
Tap Dancing to Work
The Automatic Millionaire: Homeowner
Modern Romance
The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering The Art Of Mnifesting
What Should I do with My Life?The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question
The Power of I Am: Two Words That Will Change Your Life Today
How to win the lottery with the Law of Attraction
The Dynamic Law of Prosperity
The Mind Games Women Play on Men
Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You
The Little Book of Big Change: The No-Willpower Approach to Breaking Any Habit
Be Obsessed Or Be Average
The Best of Les Brown Audio Collection
The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle
Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
Jump: Take the Leap of Faith to Achieve Your Life of Abundance
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters
The Thank You Economy
#AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur's Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
Succeed - How we can reach our goals
Rejection Proof: How I Beat Fear and Became Invincible Through 100 Days of Rejection
Following Through: A Revolutionary New Model for Finishing Whatever You Start
The Female Brain
The Male Brain
Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It
The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage
All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation
Be Fierce: Stop Harassment and Take Your Power Back
F.U. Money: Make As Much Money As You Damn Well Want And Live Your LIfe As YOu Damn Well Please!
Brave
The Real Crash
Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business
Traction: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth
The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business: Make Great Money. Work the Way You Like. Have the Life You Want.
The Disease to Please
The Fair Tax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS
The Employee Millionaire: How to Use Your Day Job to Become a Millionaire with Rental Properties
Missed Fortune 101: A Starter Kit to Becoming a Millionaire
The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
The Rational Male - Book 1
When to Rob a Bank: ...And 131 More Warped Suggestions and Well-Intended Rants
Subscribed: Why the Subscription Model Will Be Your Company's Future--and What to Do About It
Talk Like TED: The 9 Public Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
Profit First A Simple System to Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days
Creativity, Inc.
Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
The Rational Male - Positive Masculinity, Book 3
Atomic Habits (Read Chapter 2 &3 in kindle book)
The Adrenal Reset Diet
Write. Publish. Repeat. : The No-Luck Guide to Self-Publishing Success
The Emotionally Absent Mother: How to Recognize and Heal the Invisible Effects of Childhood Emotional Neglect
Living with a Navy Seal
Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding & Correcting Common Dog Problems
The Rational Male - Preventive Medicine, Book 2
Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big
On Writing Well
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
The War Against Boys: How Misguided Policies are Harming Our Young Men
You're the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women's Friendships
People Over Profit: Break the System, Live with Purpose, Be More Successful
Systems Thinking: A Guide to Strategic Planning, Problem Solving, and Creating Lasting Results for Your Business
The Student Success System - How to Get an "A" on Your Test!
Refuse To Choose! Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
wojtekLI
New User
New User

Re: OBSTACLE - Common Theme in my Interests

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm

I think it would be helpful to know why you read them.

But anyway, very few are fiction. I do see a theme of self-improvement / self-help, especially in the areas of relationships, finances, business and diet.

(BTW, self-improvement is my favorite genre too. I'm on a "Happiness" binge right now.)

So, it could be that you're attuned to self-improvement (duh), which leads me to think that you might find the field of self-hacking or career coaching interesting as a career. The idea is that you might enjoy encouraging others to apply the lessons in these books. But it assumes that you can tolerate working with people as your primary focus.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Wow! The list is too long for me! It's going to take someone with a heartier constitution than me just to READ your list! Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby wojtekLI » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:39 am

SquarePeg,

Thank you very much for your insights. They are definitely helping. The reason I like to read self-help books is because I like to learn about myself, which in turn helps me understand others. Also, a small part of me likes to understand WHY people do what they do and what makes them tick.

When I looked at my reading list I found the following themes/subjects:
Psychology, organization management, business, entrepreneurship, human behavior, self-awareness, real estate, structure of businesses, relationships, interpersonal relationship, understanding people,
The questions is how can I combine all of this or most of it into a career?

What kind of books are you reading in the “happiness” genre? Anything you would like to recommend? I am open to any suggestions.

Could you explain or expand what you mean by “self-hacking”?

I have looked at a career coaching at least 3-4 times in the past 5 years but I get this feeling in my stomach that it would be limiting. Anything similar to career coaching or slightly different that you think of that would be a good fit for me?

Also, I get energized by working with people and I know I need a career that is people facing.

Thank you very much for your help!
wojtekLI
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:48 pm

SquarePeg, thanks for helping out here. I got overwhelmed with the list. Woj, your second post gave me a much better sense of who you are. The more you and SquarePeg chat, the more I will learn and the better chance there is of me being about to contribute something. Keep working at this! We're here to cheer you on. You've gotten a good start so far.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Yes, that's a huge list of books. I liked "What Color is your Parachute" which answers the question what is the right job for me.

From what I read - your ideal job would involve working with people, always learning new things, I think you'd enjoy some kind of counselling. But I don't know you, except for what you wrote in your post. So ultimately, you're the one who needs to decide what job to take. I hope something grabs your interest. Given that long long reading list, I an guessing that you are an industrious person.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I mentioned coaching because I wasn't sure what certifications or degrees you have or what you're willing to get. My understanding is that anyone can call him/herself a coach with no certification.

With the interests you list, I can envision someone who works as a consultant to train or advise a "salesforce" on how to increase sales, customer base or improve corporate image. And still, that someone wouldn't need much in the way of an official degree or certification.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:37 pm

For happiness, start with the podcast called "The Happiness Lab." Or if podcasts aren't "your thing," check out this free course on Coursera:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-scie ... me/welcome

Note that you can register for free on Coursera and then sign up for the course, which is also free if all you want to do is audit the course. However, if you want a certification, you might need to pay something.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:53 pm

I came across "self-hacking" when I started dabbling with a ketogenic (very lo-carb) diet. I joined a forum on a message board that was provided by Under Armor (Armour). I entered a community in which some folks were going to "extreme" lengths to get in shape. I think there were folks who ate 10g or fewer net carbs per day, while I struggled to get below 25g. In the forum, you had access to tools that would calculate the amount of carb intake after you input the list of foods eaten and the quantities.

Self-hackers tend to be obsessed with quantifying their biometric data (weight, blood sugar, body fat content, duration of REM sleep and such) and correlating this with their efforts (diet, water intake, pedometer data). They're hobby-scientists who study themselves.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby wojtekLI » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Yes, that's a huge list of books. I liked "What Color is your Parachute" which answers the question what is the right job for me.

From what I read - your ideal job would involve working with people, always learning new things, I think you'd enjoy some kind of counselling. But I don't know you, except for what you wrote in your post. So ultimately, you're the one who needs to decide what job to take. I hope something grabs your interest. Given that long long reading list, I an guessing that you are an industrious person.

Elaine,

The book "What Color is your Parachute" is going on my reading list. Thank you for recommending it to me. :D

You are correct in that I love working with people (they energize me) and that I like/love learning new things. However, after reading everyone's comments I am realizing that I love learning (reading books, listening to audiobooks, going to seminars) because I like learning who I am and in turn knowing who others are. I also realize I should not minimize or be ashamed of loving to learn. Maybe I don't realize that it is a "gift" and I guess the truth is that I do not know how to turn that into a career :(

In regards to counseling I looked at that career before. There is a small part of me that would like to do it but when I think of the BIG field of counseling I don't get joy. Maybe because I do not know what type of counseling? (for some reason I am thinking psychological). Also, I hold a A.S. in Information Technology but going back to school does not excite me nor do I think I could stick with it. Maybe there is a way to becoming a counselor without needing credentials.

Thank you for the input. I feel this is helping me a lot so THANK YOU!
wojtekLI
New User
New User

Postby wojtekLI » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm

SquarePeg wrote:I mentioned coaching because I wasn't sure what certifications or degrees you have or what you're willing to get. My understanding is that anyone can call him/herself a coach with no certification.

With the interests you list, I can envision someone who works as a consultant to train or advise a "salesforce" on how to increase sales, customer base or improve corporate image. And still, that someone wouldn't need much in the way of an official degree or certification.

I hold a A.S. in Information Technology and spent about 7 years in that field. I also did 6 years in the military and held about 20 other random jobs since I was a teenager. Coaching sounds interesting but I guess I am having a hard time figuring out in what specifically I should be doing coaching? I love learning about myself but I do not see how that could be a career or a job I could have. Any recommendations?

Also, I think the business/finance side of my interests would be to help in running some sort of business (coaching, counseling, etc.) but in the past 10 years I came back to startup coaching 2-3 times but never did anything with it. Not sure what specifically I should help startups with and I do not have any credentials to tell other potential business owners how to start up a business if I never did anything like that.

Thank you for the help and input!

P.s. - I am enjoying this community very much :)
wojtekLI
New User
New User

Postby Tituba » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 pm

I would say that starting a YouTube channel reviewing books seems like a good fit. You are reading them, why not share your insights?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby snoopy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 am

Coaching sounds interesting but I guess I am having a hard time figuring out in what specifically I should be doing coaching? I love learning about myself but I do not see how that could be a career or a job I could have. Any recommendations?

I saw that you read a lot of book. Probable there were a lot of exercises in these books too. Presumable the following too:
Perhaps visioning a perfect work day for you could be a try.
What happens if you see you working? Which problem you work on? How is your contact to the people? Describe it. Feel it. Get a real vision.

After that you imagine your second work day. What are you doing? Who are your customers?

and after that the next day... and so on.

If you finish you compare your described days: what is the same in all the days?

Perhaps you can get a hint of what is the right thing for you.
snoopy
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Idea Parties