Voice Over Artist

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Voice Over Artist

Postby KellieStout » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:39 am

I took Barbara seriously when she said I don't have to pick one of my dreams, so here is number 2.... I would like to become a voice over artist. I am currently researching the possibility of recording audio books for the blind and dyslexic. It's a good cause and a great way to get a demo tape without having to pay for it. The first organization I reached out to only records in NY and only uses artists that are union members. Does anyone have any suggestions for other organizations that may be looking for "new talent" in the audio book realm? Also, I welcome any other suggestions that may help me get started in this arena. ------------------ Kellie
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby AVATC » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KellieStout: <B>I took Barbara seriously when she said I don\'t have to pick one of my dreams, so here is number 2.... I would like to become a voice over artist. I am currently researching the possibility of recording audio books for the blind and dyslexic. It\'s a good cause and a great way to get a demo tape without having to pay for it. The first organization I reached out to only records in NY and only uses artists that are union members. Does anyone have any suggestions for other organizations that may be looking for \"new talent\" in the audio book realm? Also, I welcome any other suggestions that may help me get started in this arena. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi, Kellie! I actually do what you want to do, so I suppose I am as good a person as any to give advice. Image I get the question so often about how to get started that I created an advice page on my web site. Check with your state or do an on-line search to find a reading service for the blind. Like you said, reading for the blind and print-handicapped population is an excellent source of practice and provides a much needed service. However, you probably will not want to create your demo from topics that you have read. To be competitive, your demo has to be very tightly constructed and sequenced, and I highly recommend working with a director to produce it. You also would have different demos depending on the type of audience: commercial, narration, audiobook, character, etc. One of my agents told me that the \"best of the best\" voice talent are included on the house reels at this site. Listen to some of those demos to hear the flow and timing. Voice-over is a fiercely competitive industry, with more and more people pouring into it everyday. To be successful at it, I believe that first and foremost, you must have a passion for it. You also have to be willing to MARKET YOURSELF CONTINUOUSLY (very critical!), constantly work on improving your delivery and never allow yourself to become discouraged. My idol and mentor Barry Manilow was asked if he had advice for American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson. He said his advice to her was the same advice he\'s given to aspiring talents for as long as he can remember (and I think it definitely applies to voice-over!): Don\'t do it for the money -- it will never be enough. Don\'t do it for the applause -- it will never be enough. Don\'t do it for the approval -- it will never be enough. Do it because you can\'t NOT do it. I hope this info helps. Good luck on making your dreams come true! ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KellieStout » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:20 am

Karen - Thanks so much for the reply. Ironically, one of my friends sent me a link to your site last week. It really does have a ton of good information. I truly appreciate your advice and guidance. I'll be looking over your site and checking into some other resources. At a minimum, I plan to record some audio books for the blind and dyslexic. It truly is for a great cause and I think it will help me decide if that part of voice work is something I'd like to pursue. Thanks again!
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby stories » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:47 am

Hi Kellie: I just fell into Voice Over work. I am a storyteller. After one of my regular library programs one of my regular listeners asked if I did Voice Over work. When I said not yet (a great reply instead of no) he arranged a demo session at his agency (he's a sound engineer). It didn't cost anything. Now I do Voice Over work for that agency---we're in Arkansas, but many of their clients are from further north---I naturally speak with a midwestern vowel sound--so I get some work. It is not regular however. And it takes a while to get paid-30-90 days depending on when their clients' billing cycle is. Contact local or regional producers directly and find out how they like to handle their talent---they usually have a guidelines sheet. Don't know where to find the sound comapny? Call local ad agencies and ask who they use. Another way to get practice and a demo is to volunteer in community radio (Heaven knows Clear Channel could use the competition) I also recommend taking voice lessons to anyone usingtheir voice as a major part of their work. I pay $100 per month for a weekly session of 45-60 minutes. This keeps my vocal mechanism in shape for all-day residency work and vocal characterizations which are more stressfull than my natural voice. i view this as a necessary business expense because if I can't talk, I can't work. Faye Hanson
stories
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KellieStout » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:03 am

Faye, Your response was truly a gift! Thanks so much for the ideas. I'll be looking into them soon.
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby barbgal » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:39 pm

Local colleges and universities (should) have departmetns that assist disabled students. There are many assigned reading projects that are not already on tape, and they will do that for the student. I am sure they would accept volunteers. Barb
barbgal
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:52 am

Reading for the Blind looks for volunteers. This is a good opportunity to practice your skills, add character voices, bring drama to what you are reading etc. http://www.rfbd.org/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby wpm212 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:43 am

I found this resource for the "Professional Actor's Studio" in Atlanta. They have a listing of all casting people and agents in the Atlanta area: http://www.proactorsstudio.com/actingresources/actingagents.htm It would take moxy and perseverence, but you might try calling the agencies and asking their advice on good voice-over contacts in your area. And yes, yes, yes - recording for the blind is an amazing resource. I've done voiceover work in LA and NYC. It's challenging and rewarding work - good luck! If you choose to take a short trip to LA or NYC to get some good coaching try Nancy Wolfson in LA or David Coburn in NYC. They're the most professional I've encountered.
wpm212
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby KellieStout » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:54 am

Thanks so much. This is great info!
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Rosebud » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:19 pm

How's it going KellieStout? Hope things are progressing well for you! Tam ------------------ "Knowledge is 'potential power'. Only action produces results." -- Jewel Diamond Taylor
Rosebud
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KellieStout » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:57 am

Things are going well. I took an introductory Voice Over class, which was fun. I haven't done much else with this particular dream. I'm still interested in recording audio books for the blind and dyslexic, but haven't pursued that yet. I've been focusing more on the coaching and writing dreams. This one still pops up every now and then, so I know it's still brewing somewhere in the back of my mind. Thanks so much for checking on my progress!
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby GiniDee » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:21 pm

Hi KellieStout- Great work so far, and I don't have much to add, since Karen and Faye and Tituba told you most everything I know. Keep trying the organizations and local schools working with dyslexia. Being dyslexic myself ( my kids are too), I know I would have been really happy to have tapes to help me through some of the more difficult reading challenges I encountered - also tools for working with my kids. Tools and tapes for parents could be a wonderful way you could help others and make a real difference ( and make money too). Image As for the writing and coaching, there are so many threads on this board offering great ideas and resources to follow those dreams that you should read them all. If you don't, you never know what you may be missing! Image Nice progress - keep us posted! All the best - GiniDee ;-D
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:33 am

What's up, KellieStout? What else are you doing to move into dream #2? Did you check out Karen's resources? Follow anyone's suggestions? Set up baby step goals? Let us know how you're doing! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KellieStout » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:48 am

Hello all. I have made a bit of progress on the Voice Over work. I attended an introductory class, which was fun. It definitely illustrated the point that Voice Over work is largely acting with your voice. I know I have what it takes. But, the class also helped me clarify that this is not one of my primary goals right now. I'm still very interested in doing recordings for the blind and/or dyslexic. There is just something deeply satisfying about being able to use a "gift" to help others. I have not followed up with the organization in my area that organizes the recordings, but plan to do so soon. Thanks to everyone for checking on me. I'll do my best to keep y'all up-to-date!
KellieStout
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Rosebud » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Hey Kellie, How's it going? Tam ------------------ Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible--St. Francis of Assisi
Rosebud
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties