Need Nay Sayers

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby CheetahSloth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:51 pm

Be practical. You need a degree to do that. Who's going to listen to you? You're not special. Or how about the backhanded compliments, delivered in the "well, I read in that book that I'm not supposed to crush the poor fool" voice: Oh. Yeah. That'd be great. I don't know how you'd do it, though. Wow. I wish I could think of crazy stuff like that. Man, you dream big, huh? That'd be amazing if it could ever work. Grumblegrumblegrumble, just watch me! Reading all this brings out my inner toddler and she is not a girl who likes to hear "No," no matter how nicely it's said. Can too! Can too!!!
such a smart girl...
CheetahSloth
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

nay saying

Postby dadler » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:30 pm

My father used to say (he meant well) "That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee." Ugh. I suppose now it's, "That and $3 will get you a latte." -Doug
dadler
New User
New User

Re: Need Nay Sayers

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:01 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am

Here are a few choice ones from various times in my life.
    It's rude to ask for things. You should wait until something is offered to you. Sit still and be quiet! Stop daydreaming! Oh, you're playing all Xxxxx's little tunes. You're just an intellectual with no common sense. You're just living in your own little world. You don't need a pony/van/hard-drive that big, for all you're going to be doing with it. You're an intelligent woman. (said in a very sarcastic, patronising tone of voice by a man in a suit, who obviously thought I'd said something very stupid.) You're new here. You should be more humble and obedient. ( Said by my newly promoted, 24-year-old girl boss. I didn't last very long in that job :evil: )
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spiegel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:33 am

"Where have you got time to do that?" "Stop wasting time and go study" "You can do art as a *hobby*"
spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

religious naysayers

Postby ScholarGypsy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:07 pm

I’m bumping this again, because 1.) I’m new here and this has really helped. 2.) I have a collection of my own “religious” naysayers. I think these are the worst kind because they represent an abuse of “an even higher authority.” Here are my naysayers and what I wish I could tell them right back. “That’s the devil talking!” [ I guess you would know, wouldn’t you?] “God wants you to be holy rather than happy.” [ And thank you for implying that holiness is a condition to be avoided at all costs! ( This is a semi-quote from A.W. Tozer that is out of context and has come to be misused. )] “Pride goeth before a fall.” [ And you’re proud of that, aren’t you? ] “Man is meant to earn his living by the sweat of his brow.” [ And you can certainly use can of Arid Extra Dry right now, El Stinko.] “You’d just be doing that for filthy lucre’s sake.” [ No, I’d be doing it for filthy liquor’s sake, but that’s another story.] “You’d just make an idol out of it.” [Spoken like a true idler.] “Those kind of people end up in hell.” [ Been there yourself, have you?] “Brother, I feel in my heart that this is not God’s will for your life.” [ And brother, I really truly feel in my heart, that you are a first class a*****e. ] And my all time favorite (which has changed, but not much, due to Dana Carvey) “Well, isn’t that special.”
ScholarGypsy
New Poster
New Poster

Postby dani » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 pm

ScholarGypsy, I love it :!: :lol: Who do you think you are, really (said in icy tone). My own voice: I have to know exactly what I'm saying/doing or I'll make a fool of myself.
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:22 am

“Pride goeth before a fall.”
Ha! Whenever I've heard this, I've responded with: "No, a baseball bat to the knee caps goes before the fall."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:59 am

"You don't have enough talent." "It's not the right time with the economy the way it is..." "You need more schooling for that and there's no way you can stand the pressure." "If I were to invest in someone's business it wouldn't be yours."
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Tituba wrote:
“Pride goeth before a fall.”
Ha! Whenever I've heard this, I've responded with: "No, a baseball bat to the knee caps goes before the fall."
Great :!: :lol:
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 am

Saw a bumper sticker this morning that said: "Your dreams will be criticized by those that have given up on their own."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:24 pm

bump
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Open_Mind_Canada » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am

In my case, as I contemplate applying for a job or proposing a business venture, my "Resistance Monster" says I am going to hear: - "but, your resume is a story with nearly no narrative thread, I don't understand who you are and how to pigeon-hole you and I have no confidence you will .... stick with us even if we hire you." OR commit to the business if we partner with you."
Open_Mind_Canada
New Poster
New Poster

Postby funnyvalentine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:36 am

"You'll never be successful if you aren't perfect. And you'll never be perfect because you are FAT! " "Absolutely everyone hates you" "No one gives a sh** what you have to say, so why say it?" "You are SO LAZY!" "You will never make anything of yourself" "You will end up homeless and die alone" "If you get success, you will die, and then what is your success worth? Every good thing points towards a bad thing coming around the corner."
funnyvalentine
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Idea Parties