translation help

english and portuguese

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

translation help

Postby hopalong fishwife » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:07 am

I apologize for writing in English. I'm sorry I don't know Portugese. Someone told me that my name has a meaning in Portugese. I would really like to know what it is. I already know what my name means in Hebrew, Arabic and Spanish. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you. My name is Sabra
hopalong fishwife
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Renata Riecken » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hopalong fishwife: <B>I apologize for writing in English. I'm sorry I don't know Portugese. Someone told me that my name has a meaning in Portugese. I would really like to know what it is. I already know what my name means in Hebrew, Arabic and Spanish. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you. My name is Sabra</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi! We don't have the word "sabra".We have "sabre" - it's some kind of sword, a short one. ------------------ Renata
Renata Riecken
New User
New User

Postby hopalong fishwife » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:39 am

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused that you say there is no sabra in Portugese, because I've seen it on brazilian web sites. I just didn't have a way to translate. One thought: In Spanish, my name is the future form of the verb "to know".The word came to Spanish from the Moors of north Africa. Sabra may not be a noun in Portugese, either. Sabre is a kind of sword here too. That's the name kids at school used to tease me. Thanks again for your help-Sabra
hopalong fishwife
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Strid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:10 pm

hello sabra in brazilian portuguese i don't know any translation for "Sabra", the verb "to know" here is spelled "saber"
Strid
New User
New User

Sabra

Postby robingeorge » Wed May 31, 2006 1:42 pm

Sabra is "cactus" in Hebrew, as you know by now. It does not appear in my Portuguese dictionary. Sabor means "flavour". Everything doesn't mean something in every language.
Robin George I love the book "Speculum Mentis" by R. G. Collingwood (1924). My interests are at least as broad: I only wish I could accomplish a fraction as much.
robingeorge
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Forum Brasil