Lots of people are about to retire

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lots of people are about to retire

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 am

The boomer generation has hit retirement age I'm 10 years older and I come from a very small generation so I don't know many people who retired, and I've always had a business of my own, so nothing really changed for me.

But lots of people will be facing real retirement. If you're one of them, what do you have planned when your time becomes your own? Have you run into problems or do you have some solutions you can share?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Lots of people are about to retire

Postby Tituba » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:02 am

Yes, I'm on that journey right now. Will be retiring within 4 years. I'm am trying to fashion my free time so it'll be productive. I find way too often I end up watching way too much TV and accomplishing little.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:18 pm

I know that people who wait until they've retired and have plenty of open time run into a big problem: there's some depression that seems to go with any loss - even the loss of a job you weren't crazy about - and it's enough to make you have some real trouble wanting anything at all. Too much open time can also create some depression.

So if you have a year or more until retirement, the time has come to get too busy. Find one thing after another that interests you and start doing it right now because it can be difficult to find something after your retirement has already happened.

Or so I hear. What do you think?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm

When I was volunteering for a non-profit, I met a much older engineer who was retired. He was fond of telling people that when he retired, he was finally able to pare down to a forty-hour work day. (Note that's work day, not work week. :) He had more energy than me, that's for sure!

Anyway, as one of the last boomers, I'm probably 15 years away from retirement.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions