American Independence Day

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

American Independence Day

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi American citizens!
I wish all of you a Happy Independence Day JULY 4
Whenever I think of America, two things come to my mind.
1. I first studied about the American Revolution, when I was in seventh standard. When I studied that the colonial America didn't get its freedom from Britain, but it 'declared' its freedom autonomously, I was astonished and thought it served right to the Great Britain's Imperialism.That Bernard Shaw in his famous drama 'The Apple Cart' should dream of an American envoy bringing the British King the message from American Govt to annex them again to the British empire, made me think of the anguish of the Britishers about losing America. I think America is the only colony that 'declared' its freedom. I admire your ancestors' courage [or audacity] and sense of liberty.
The second thing is a little bit funny. For a very long time, I had been thinking that United States of America consisted of all the countries in the North and South American Continents. That's why I was convinced that the two superpowers USA and USSR have equal power and that's why they were in a cold war and confused when I heard in news that America and Cuba were in loggerheads, why should they be if they were the same country. Later I was disappointed when I found out that USA consists of only some states in the central American continent.
"The American dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it".
---John Truslow Adams.
As I belong to a country with deep cultural roots and very strong class distinctions, I can understand how hard it is to maintain an egalitarian society and how America should have seemed to the eyes of the oppressed people of Europe. No wonder it was called 'The New World'.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: American Independence Day

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Thank you, LalithaN!

I'm not a history buff at all. While USA declared its independence, it also had to fight for it. My understanding is that England was too far away to maintain adequate military might, and they were unaccustomed to the rugged terrain of the New World. Plus, Benjamin Franklin had some cunning deal-making with France to further undermine England's hold on the colonies.

Today, our National Public Radio (NPR) recited the Declaration of Independence. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read it in it entirety. I recall only the first parts of the first two sentences, "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, [blah blah blah]. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, [blah blah blah]." As well, NPR had multiple staff members read the document. So at some point in the recitation, I thought it was over, and that the programming switched to a modern day editorial in which the person was talking about how the current President was trampling on our Constitution. But I was mistaken -- the Declaration of Independence was still being read, and the parts like "He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither.... He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation.... For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world.... For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent...." sounded like modern grievances!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi Americans,
Except SquarePeg, nobody replied to my Independence day Wishes. Thank You SquarePeg.

Do Americans don't consider July 4th an independence day anymore as it had been more than two centuries, or is it an offence to offer Independence day Wishes in America? I haven't seen anybody wishing Happy Independence Day even between yourselves.

I ask this question seriously because I want to know whether I have offended your sensibilities somehow and you are keeping quiet for politeness' sake.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi, LalithaN

Thanks for the greeting. We celebrated with my family. It was a happy day. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 am

Hi Elaine,
I was really a bit worried that I said something foolish like the following anecdote.

When we were in 6th standard, a Hindu friend of mine asked a Muslim classmate,' Have you bought new clothes for Muharram?'. Muharram is a holiday in our country and Muslims are renowned for wearing gorgeous clothes for every celebration. So my friend asked the Muslim girl out of curiosity how would they celebrate. First our classmate was infuriated, then understanding no mischief was intended, she patiently explained Muharram is not a celebration, but a day for repentance. Just like Good Friday.

You relieved my tension.Thank You.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I know what you mean. I'm always scared I'll say something wrong. Your greeting was a kind and thoughtful thing to post.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Yes, Lalitha, it was a nice gesture that no one from USA would take offense at.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 am

Hi Elaine and SquarePeg,
Thank You.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions