The question we all want the answer to.

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: The question we all want the answer to.

Post by inspiresuccess »

jims wrote:I have created the kind of life I love. The book Wishcraft and a few others along the same line were very helpful. I used my job which provided a good steady income, until I was able to retire early--age 51. I cut back on things and lived on my savings and investments for three years, until a bit of a pension kicked in. But I started my plan years before by studying finance and investing. I also cut back on things that wasted money. It is amazing how much we waste and can do without. I borrowed books and movies from libraries. I learned to do most of the maintence on my home, car, and lawnmower. One can save a great deal by keeping the car repaired. To keep motivated, I walked thorugh the stacks of libraries, imagining the time I would be able to do what I loved the most--read and learn.

For over 10 years I've lived the life of my dreams. During my first 6 years of retirement, I read over 1000 books from libraries. I tried a number of part-time, temporary work, mostly to keep busy and learn new trades. I taught college part-time; worked as a tax consultant (started as a volunteer), and helped my friends with construction (plumbing, dry wall, roofing). We sold our home and moved to the beautiful state of Colorado. I love hiking. Currently, my passion is studying Mars. As an amateur I was able to use two satellites that went around Mars. Most months, I receive pictures from Mars that almost no one has seen before. Along with others, we have written essentially an encyclopedia of Mars--almost everything discovered about Mars is there.

At any rate, I had to create a vision of my ideal life, then a detailed plan for achieving it. What I did different from some others is that I just moved along--putting one foot in front of another, each day, marching in the direction of my dreams. I studied the martial arts for decades; that study gave me lots of discipline. Or maybe, I just wanted things more than others. We all have problems. I had to bring my personal demons under control. First was stopping my excessive drinking one day at a time (its been over 30 years since I was an insaine drunk).

I hope others can take some inspiration from what I've tried to write. There is really a lot of wisdom on these boads and in Barbara Sher's books.

I just discovered this thread because someone brought it up recently. I quickly skimmed and spotted your post. Thanks for sharing your
life journey. It is inspiring to hear all the changes you've made over the years.

I'll have to go back and skim the other posts here.

Inspire Success

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

jcjm -- thanks for bringing this thread up again. Very interesting. I'm glad to see you on the Boards again. It seems like it's been a long time!

jims
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jims »

I should be happy, for I'm doing what I always wanted to do, but I do not make any money. I worked at a job that was decent, and then worked out an early retirement. Being a young retiree (51), I tried many part time, temporary jobs for a number of years. It was fun to try different fields. At some point, I discovered Wikipedia and NASA's amateur programs. I've had a passion for astronomy all my life. For over ten years, I've used NASA satellites that are orbiting Mars to suggest targets for NASA to aim at. I've received thousands of photos. I was one of the first people in the world to see these landscapes. For me it is about the most exciting thing I can imagine. I post and write up captions for the best of my images on Wikipedia. So I'm one of the Mars nuts who are writing an encyclopedia of all knowledge discovered on Mars. There are a lot of people today who are excited about humans colonizing Mars. I feel I'm doing my part.

My life is not for most Americans, as while I have enough money to get by, I'm not rich. We only have 1 car and only eat out a few days each week.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

Hi, Jims,

I think you're plenty rich. And I eat out less than you do.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

irminator
New Poster
New Poster

Post by irminator »

I'm back! Its been several years. I am doing what I love to do. The income is sporadic. But, that's what's so fun about a roller coaster. It may be too scary for some of you. Weekly income is forfeited. If you have the fortitude -- take the challenge. Sometimes its better to stay in your spot. Find the joy in it. Improve or change your recreational time. That might be a good start. :D

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by jcjm »

I started this post in 2003 and since the board is going away in May, I thought I might give some final thoughts on it.

There was a lot of interest in it even though Barbara had a pretty good answer on the first page. So why are there so many other posts after that?

Well looking back and now being semi-retired, I would say people didn't want to accept doing what they love and doing something else for money. They were looking for a way to do what they love for money.

There are 2 big problems with that.

1) Not every dream makes money
2) Being in the job from Hell, really takes a lot out of you and you are being pushed to goals by people without even knowing it. Looking for benefits, 401k, salary, etc. rather than targeting in on what you really want, the job.

The solution, I don't know, but when I had the pension, 401k, social security as a cushion(security), I found I didn't really want what I thought I did and was able to pursue whatever I wanted whether it paid or not. I could teach, write, play music, make videos or anything I wanted, without worrying about what it paid.

So I guess Colonel Sanders had it right. Life begins when you retire. The security gives you the freedom to pursue you dreams and not what you think is your dream job.