I'm going to try this...

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Postby GiniDee » Sun May 02, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi Sallie - Sorry I haven't weighed in so far - forgive me. Didn't see your earlier posts because I've been totally self-absorbed in my own tsouris these last few days, and mostly off-boards. I see entirely where you are coming from. Working until you drop is NOT a bad thing, IMHO, as long as it's doing work you LOVE. I mean love with a passion, like breath. It's time for you to find yours. That's the key to the rest of your life right there. You never had much chance to have that, working for all those other people's dreams. Even when you were in charge, it was usually for someone else or someone else's causes. If the master's is to make you an 'expert' so you can do speaking engagements and hold workshops, you don't need it to do that. Barbara Winter is supposed to have some material out on how to become an instant expert, and Barbara Sher outlined some ways to do that in her last teleclass. The trick is to figure out what you want to be an expert ABOUT, so you can build your life around that passion. If that passion does happen to be about creativity, there's plenty of literature and material out that can help you decide how you want to approach that field. You don't need to be accredited to show people how to find and use their creativity. You just have to be good at it. Are you? Having creativity is no use at all if someone does not know what to do with it, or how to make it work for them in their lives. Could you help other people do that? Can you help yourself do that? Mahara had a lot of great ideas worth pursuing, as did everyone else who answered your thread. Start from there. You know where to reach me if you want to talk off-boards. You are one of the most intelligent, articulate and complex creative minds I have come across in a long time. A great mind is a terrible thing to waste. Image Take care of yourself, and start looking for your passion. All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby maisie » Mon May 03, 2004 3:56 am

Thought these websites might interest you. www.appreciative-inquiry.org www.weatherhead.cwru.edu./bawb (bawb=business as an agent of world benefit) Cheers, Maisie
maisie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sgoldie » Mon May 03, 2004 9:42 am

Maisie thanks for the links. Mahara, Scorpio, and Gini I don't know what I'd ever do without you, truly good friends. I will review all of the above again to see what I can come up with. Most of my accomplishments in the past were when my father was still alive. He was such a great mentor, and so accomplished himself. He loved people and was a real pied-piper to everyone who met him (much like my son is now). It was his pride in me that propelled me along then. My fiance was my other mentor. I learned more from him in a few short years than if I had read ten thousand books, and lived three lifetimes. Sometime I feel so alone. It's hard when you don't get to interact with people on your same level regularly. I'm not much for the bar hopping, gossip telling, nascar crowd. I like bowling though. I'm thinking I want to be one of those people that are accessed when there's a really difficult, earth changing problem to contend with (public policy possibly). I don't know if I want to teach it so much. Something along the lines of the Oracles or at least a Delphic the Greeks use to consult. It seems to me that these days credential hold a lot of weight. Sometimes more than I think they deserve too. A million thanks, Sallie [This message has been edited by sgoldie (edited May 03, 2004).]
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby thornpandi » Mon May 03, 2004 9:50 am

As always that GiniDee is one smart cookie. Her post was inspiring. For planning purposes could you "pretend"--to yourself--that you have just completed the Master's degree progam and you are now starting a project or two. Then go ahead with your the research and stragetegizing, work out the details, see what you come up with. You might decide you don't need to return to school to accomplish your goals. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GiniDee: <B>If the master's is to make you an 'expert' so you can do speaking engagements and hold workshops, you don't need it to do that. ...If that passion does happen to be about creativity, there's plenty of literature and material out that can help you decide how you want to approach that field. ...You don't need to be accredited to show people how to find and use their creativity. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thornpandi
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sgoldie » Mon May 03, 2004 9:58 am

Thornpandi, thank you (see I spelled it right this time). I'm beginning to think the problem may be in my recent lack of socialization. I'm not out in the world anymore and haven't pursued the contacts I need to involve myself in things that interest me. Sometimes I'm too much of a cave dweller in my little cocoon.
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sgoldie » Mon May 03, 2004 12:58 pm

With names and information I received from the program director, I am now doing some intensive reading, which hopefully will help me come to a conclusion. Thanks all
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sgoldie » Mon May 03, 2004 7:14 pm

OK, I'm done reading- I don't think this creativity program is for me. It is based on assessing various individuals in teams as to their learning/expressing/thinking styles so they can work together more effectively. Not exactly what I'm about. I'm still working on what is right for me. Sallie
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby docsue » Mon May 03, 2004 7:47 pm

Good for you! I didn't notice this post earlier - sorry - or I would have launched into TMI on adult education degree programs. What you've described sounds like something you could learn in a workshop. Cheaper. And in less time. It sounds like you could do all sorts of workshops yourself - and/or start an organizing business. How about helping the newly retired set up households - and purge stuff they dragged along? Focus/discussion groups on the beach? All sorts of adult-related and just plain life-enriching topics out there? I'm with GiniDee on this - find something that makes you laugh out loud at the prospect of getting to do it.
docsue
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Mon May 03, 2004 9:07 pm

Hey Sallie - You could definitely be an oracle as a hermit crab, even now. But you have so many choices, I suspect it is not wise for you to settle for just one. I'm also not sure you need to move to Florida for any reason. Unless you love it so much that's where you need to be. Maybe it's time to think about what types of workshops, seminars, websites or other products would make you into an Oracle. And who out there you would need to have perceiving you as said oracle. Then how best to reach them (preferably without leaving the house, but that's just me Image ) Just a notion from the hermit crabpool Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sgoldie » Mon May 03, 2004 10:42 pm

Gee Doc, It's been a long time since I laughed outloud. It's been good to have this discussion since I really have no one to talk to. In terms of happiness I would say there hasn't been much in the last ten years. Running thru the house with a gaggle of teenagers and their friends making home movies (till they left home) was one, standing on a dock watching porpoises and watermen (people I use to love to work with) was another. Large bodies of water always makes me very happy, tranquil, excited, I feel free. I liked the individualists I met at bike week. Guess I'm an outdoors person when I'm not reading. My fiance who was a special forces, blue water sailor, investment banker, and Ivy fellow: pocketwatch and ascot under flight jacket. My pride and confidence come from my knowledge, understanding, and turn of the century refinement with an element of strong woman. Also from my exceptional kids (the only thing that truly delights my soul- can't wait for grandchildren). I must say I did a heck of a job with them. I had excellent leadership and business mentors in my family, real special people. Several things do make me run the other way. The herd mentality, competitiveness, shallowness, litigiousness, group anything. I think something is trying to make itself known to me. I can feel slight bubbles coming up. Sure wish I had a partner who was inspiring. I'll keep you posted if I get any other ideas that need throwing around. Best regards Gini,Doc,Mahara,Scorpio,etal Sallie [This message has been edited by sgoldie (edited May 04, 2004).]
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue May 18, 2004 3:39 am

Hey Sallie - So what have you decided, opined, intuited or otherwise come up with since this last post? Are you still moving to Florida? Did you find out what the bubble was? ( If it were me, my kids would insist it was something socially embarrassing :shock: ) How ARE you doing, oh mighty Oracle?
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sgoldie » Tue May 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Hey Gini, I'll email you off the boards. Sallie
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue May 18, 2004 6:30 pm

Cool. Don't forget - that pm function at the bottom of our posts also allows you to send me a private message right here. And I have it set on alert so I'm notified whenever I get one. So you now have three places to e-mail me! Isn't that amazing? 8) LOVE this electronic age! Will check my mail!
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions