Clutter-Overweight-In Debt-Hate Job

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Clutter-Overweight-In Debt-Hate Job

Postby Tituba » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Geneen Roth just wrote a book on this subject

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Found-Unexpe ... 685&sr=8-3
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 am

Bet this person wishes they were more organized

http://www.examiner.com/lottery-in-nati ... cket-video
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Good Peter Walsh video

http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Peter-Walsh ... O-You-2012

Starts are min 4 and lasts 45 min. Good lecture
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am

Thought this was good:

1) Decide you've had enough

The most important step is deciding that you've had enough of your clutter and the disorder it brings to your life. One you've recognized this, you've taken the most important step to getting rid of it.

2) Make distinctions

Sort your things into three categories:

Category 1: I use it. I love it and/or it's useful.

Category 2: I don't use it. I don't love it.

Category 3: I'm not sure. (But TRY your best to put your items into category 1 or 2. You should not have most of your items in this pile. In fact, it should be the smallest pile.)

3) Take Action

Find homes for Category 1 items and continue enjoying and using them.

Category 2 items should be trashed if they're not useful to anybody, or donated (or sold at a rummage sale) if they're good enough for someone else to use or enjoy.

Place Category 3 items in a 'Holding Box'. Seal this box and store it in an out-of-the way place. Go to your calendar and put the words 'Holding Box' on a date that's 4 months ahead of today. When you finally see the words 'Holding Box' on your calendar, whatever you still have not retrieved from that box goes to charity or the garbage collector. Obviously you didn't miss it.

You CAN bust through your clutter...sometimes it just takes a little bit of know-how and a touch of motivation. If you're looking for more strategies to bust through your clutter, I want to recommend an amazing resource called 'The Clutter Cleanse.' It's perfect for helping you remove the clutter from your home, and for bringing simplicity, peace, and harmony back into your life.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am

I don't mean to make light of natural disasters. And I feel bad for all those who've lost their homes and valuables as a result of calamity.

But when I declutter I like to imagine that a tornado / fire / flood has struck and that the clutter is the ruins. Amid the rubble I might find a photograph of a deceased loved one, the fireproof safe filled with savings bonds (the cash long gone, of course), and my still-functioning DSLR camera, which I still enjoy using. I take these items with me into my new life, leaving behind the rubble to be bull-dozed. Imagine how liberating that can feel!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 am

That makes sense. You are putting your mind in a priority only mode so you only keep that which is important.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:44 am

bump - good reading
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RayofLight2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:02 am

I have definitely procrastinated out of fear. Now, I'm in a job I absolutely hate and which is toxic for me. There's no strategic plan; nobody can agree on programs; my boss gives no direction but lashes out at me and other people, including our Executive Director. The exec makes enables the young gun--saying that conflict is normal. Yet, the advice of many, except for one counselor and my husband, has been to 'suck it up' and look for another job. I have had a few interviews but nothing has transpired--yet. I turned one interview down because the organization seemed to have many of the problems that the one I am in does. Nonprofits seem to be riddled with insufficient funds and problems that go with lack of resources.

I would love to de-clutter and leave the job as it is making my pain symptoms harder to manage and the dynamics are such that I feel like I have been set up to fail. It feels like abuse I experienced as a young person. I ask why I would allow myself to go through that again. Maybe it's to learn a lesson or to learn to speak up more. It's hard to know. I have been trying to be more vocal but diplomatic. But, as you can probably tell, is cluttering my head and taking energy that I could be expending elsewhere.

Some have suggested that I emotionally detach and I am having a hard time doing that because I want to create value where I am.
RayofLight2
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby irminator2013 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:00 am

My only exception is I do love my job. But I have to pull myself out of this humungous debt I keep nurturing. I get the top layer paid off and there is always more with interest piling up. I work very hard and it feels like I am not progressing out of my :? financial worries.
irminator2013
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Good wishes to you Irminator 2013.

Our society tells us that we need to spend a lot of money to buy stuff we don't need or want. And, as you've figured out, when you pay on time, the cost of the item can double.

I hope you wiggle your way out of debt and never get back in.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Debt is a modern, government-sanctioned, form of slavery.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 am

Declutter kitchen/lose weight

http://www.rodalenews.com/declutter-kitchen
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions