E-Bay Alternative???

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

E-Bay Alternative???

Postby songpoet » Tue May 11, 2004 6:37 am

Hey folks,,,,,,,I was reading USA Today yesterday May 10 in the MONEY section pg.4b. There was an article on "YAHOO". It said YAHOO is the MOST visited Internet web-site (108 million in March). There's a 40 yr. old mom there, who has built up to running (3)-e-commerce stores. She sells baby goods & Coca Cola Memorabilia from an office near her home. She's on track to GROSS 2.5 Million this year. Can you folks squeek by on that? Image She started out by selling "used baby goods on E-Bay"! But she switched 2 years ago when she found Yahoo was far simpler to do! They had the store-template set up so all she had to do was plug-in like an "OPENING A STORE FOR DUMMIES"! She can run the business & be a MOM accompanying her daughter on field trips. She has (3) full-time employees & it costs $299. a month & .75% of total revenue to YAHOO. Hey UMO,,,,,,,,where oh where have you gone??? Whatta ya think??? Just give me 10% of that and I'll have died & gone to heaven on earth! Image
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ajpor » Wed May 12, 2004 8:49 am

Hi,songpoet, What yahoo site are you referring to? I only know the customized yahoo opening page I have and the yahoo search. There are others? jean ------------------ www.theangelladies.com
ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spark » Wed May 12, 2004 8:56 am

I think this is the site http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/
spark
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby songpoet » Wed May 12, 2004 10:42 am

It didn't give the specific auction web-address for yahoo (hopefully it's the one in above post). But she says she also spends $200 a day with pay-per-click ads on google & yahoo. But she "sells" $8000-$10,000 worth of merchandise daily,,,,,,,(sigh). Image
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ajpor » Wed May 12, 2004 2:43 pm

Thanks for the link. I've been prowling around yahoo; it's a lot bigger than I realized. When I turn on the computer, my yahoo front page pops up, but there's tons of stuff on yahoo I didn't realize was there. Sheesh! jean ------------------ www.theangelladies.com
ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ajpor » Wed May 12, 2004 2:46 pm

ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MoonGlitter » Wed May 12, 2004 3:07 pm

Very interesting post *S* Thanks for posting ! ------------------ http://sweetiejar.my-expressions.com
MoonGlitter
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby songpoet » Thu May 13, 2004 1:15 pm

Maybe this is a "dumb" question? I know UMO was on awhile ago & had a great thread about E-Bay and mentioned he made part of his living there,,,,,,,albeit a MODEST one. "QUESTION" do any of you nice folks "personally" know or live next to; anyone who is makin a "kick-_ _ s" living from E-Bay- Yahoo or any internet auction??? I ask,,,,,,,,because it just dawned on me that I was quoting from a "CORPORATE MEDIA PUBLICATION". I've also checked out things that "sounded" so "miraculous" from an infomercial (vitamins, motor oil additives, hair growth solutions etc.),,,,,only to find out they were blatant lies. Image [This message has been edited by songpoet (edited May 13, 2004).]
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mmarie » Thu May 13, 2004 1:47 pm

Songpoet, Check out a thread called "does anyone actually do this?" in wishes and obstacles.
mmarie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue May 18, 2004 1:45 am

Hey songpoet - Not me, said the little red hermit crab. My experience with eBay truly sucked. I made about $3 total. I don't know if I want to bother with ANY auction site again. But that's just me - crabby as they come!
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Is This for \"Real\"?

Postby songpoet » Tue May 18, 2004 3:35 am

Speaking of YAHOO Auctions,,,,,,,,,,,,check out Item ID # 85899724. It offers a Hawaiian Vacation incl. Roundtrip airfare for (2) & Hotel accomodations. QUESTION; What's the \"catch\"? They claim they're is none and that it's a loss-leader of sorts,,,,,,,,,,,,instead of losing the 30% empty seats (and being a total loss) they make money with the money spent on other things; drinks, dinners, souveneirs etc.?? Sounds Good anyway??? :lol:
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue May 18, 2004 4:44 am

Cool, songpoet. There may not be a catch - maybe they figure the auction will cover at least part of their costs, and they can write off the rest 8) Sounds like fun to me!
GiniDee :mrgreen: My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. :mrgreen: GiniDee :mrgreen:
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sandysundays » Sun May 23, 2004 6:08 am

Ok. Any of us can make a huge kick ass living off of e-bay if we want too!!! If we want to is the operative word. In the beginning, while figuring out the ins and outs we may not make a lot, but, I am sure we would at least cover our costs. It is merely a matter of, do we think the effort ='s the reward? Is the effort required in the beginning worth the rewards down the road? Do you want what is down the road? If it feels like it is just about the money and you want more, maybe that's why it's hard feeling motivated to do it?!?! AND, remember, your time is worth money too. You may make a $20 profit on an item. However, if you spent 3 hours working to buy and then sell it, is that really a profit? I'm not being negative, I am actually considering doing it. I just felt like saying this because I am trying to figure out what's holding me back...why am I so chicken to do it????
sandysundays
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Yes, you can make a living off of eBay

Postby redline » Sun May 23, 2004 10:26 am

I feel that there's a bit of misuderstanding of what eBay is and can do for your business. I've used eBay quite a bit, so let me jump in here: eBay, as they themselves constantly remind, is a venue. Of course they hype it ceaselessly, so it's quite understandable that people take it for more than it actually is. All hype aside, eBay is a distribution channel. Yes, your business could benefit from a well-matching distribution channel, but a distribution channel is not the business itself. If your business is viable, if there's demand for what you sell, if you can manufacture and support your product commercially and your product allows for methods of distribution such as eBay, then of course you can make a living on eBay. But if there's no demand, using eBay won't magically transform your business. Just like a hammer for a carpenter, eBay and other online auctions are tools: have you heard a carpenter wondering if he can make a living off of a hammer? There's more to carpentry than having a particular, even most helpful and perhaps even indispensable tool. In other words, instead of worrying if it's possible to make a living off of eBay, one should concentrate on one's business itself, and if one's product can be sold and supported remotely, eBay will definitely enlarge one's customer base. There are no problems using it: everything seems well thought through, the process is very easy, it can even be automated by you (or you can use one of the numerous third-party programs that help managing eBay sales); as long as you remember that a business is not identical with its sales department, you'll have good chances to benefit from eBay. You only have to be careful about online payment systems like Paypal -- they're very convenient, but read the "terms and conditions" carefully and don't let them into your main bank account (because they can freeze it and you'll have no access to your own money for a while.)
redline
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions