I'm so curious!

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

I'm so curious!

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

I keep getting letters and pm's about this. Here's one: "Do Republicans think it's okay for Halliburton to steal billions of dollars? Or do they think it's not true?" Bushies only answer, please.
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Cleaning out my pm box and found this (worded differently, but for the sake of uniformity and simple answers): "Do Republicans think it's okay to expose a CIA agent who was getting information about weapons of mass destruction for us? Or do they think it didn't really happen?" Republicans only (or conservatives, whoever's on the side of this administration) answer please.
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:20 pm

This is actually part of the same message, but I'm breaking it up into separate questions so it's easy to answer: "Do Republicans think Bush was fairly elected either time? If not, do they care? I'm so curious." No liberals need respond, please.
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Got this letter (it's a little naive, but I'm interested in a conservative's response myself, I must be honest!): "Is it true that almost everybody in the White House is gay (except Dick Cheney, of course)? Just curious. I heard some people say it after that male prostitute was in the press corps for over a year, and is a close friend of somebody (Rove?). They said that's why Bush was holding hands with that Saudi man, but I don't think that means anything, do you? And they said things about a lot of people on the White House staff which I've never heard before. I don't think there's a thing wrong with it (well, except for that Press Corps guy, that doesn't seem right for a churchy-family values party) but I keep hearing them say such bad things about gay people, that I was wondering. You know, Roy Cohn (McCarthy's man) and J. Edgar Hoover, so many people who have said terrible things about gays (like that senator today, who said they ruin the American family) I think they all turned out to be gay, so that wasn't right. (Well, I don't know about the senator who spoke up this week.) I'm just so curious but no one seems to write about it anywhere." Any answers, Bush voters? Do you know or care?
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ajpor » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Perhaps you should widen your net and request responses from not only Republicans but also from Independents who chose Bush. :wink: I don't think that will get you any actual answers, though. jean
ajpor
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:01 pm

You're probably right on both counts, ajpor, but let me open it to anyone who voted for Bush. Thanks.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:09 pm

They *are* strangely silent, aren't they? Someone on this board said she couldn't answer so many questions because she had to go make dinner, or something, so I thought if we asked one at a time and made them very clear, we might get a response. Conseratives are so foggy and evasive. They shout out things to inflame everyone (here on this board, anyway) and change the subject and speak in generalities, but you can never get them to answer anything simple. And these things are bewildering to the writer, but also to me. How do the people who voted for Bush handle these things? They're so obvious, like a mustache penciled on this administration's face, and liberals like me are just amazed that they can live with this stuff. Or don't they believe it? Or are they so afraid of terrorists or poor people that they don't care? I am as bewildered as the people who write me.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:40 pm

Welcome back, Elizabeth! One at a time, as you've requested in the past: Other questions...still waiting to hear on the CIA thing. She wasn't an undercover CIA agent. She was at a desk job. In public records, she listed her place of employment as CIA so she outed herself. I'm still waiting to hear what they find out, but clearly no crime was committed. At the worst, I think it was hardball. Is that okay? Depends on the circumstances, but judging from the way the liberals have been playing hardball I'd say yes. Thank you, Elizabeth. It's always helpful to find out how conservatives justify things. It gets so bewildering sometimes. I confess that if I had only the facts you have, I might not mind as much. In fact, she was an undercover agent working at a desk job as a cover. I can see you didn't know that, and you might not believe me, but if I'm right, does it change your opinion? Do you believe it's okay to out a covert CIA agent? Not her, but any covert agent of ours. If so, can you explain what you think is wrong with it? If not, ditto. Just curious.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:21 pm

Elizabeth said: Conservatives don’t like attitudes of entitlement, irresponsibility and blame which some ascribe as liberal attitudes. Republicans are harder to bait because they’re logical, not emotional. They analyze each issue and agree with you or disagree based on their research. A lovely way of looking at things, Elizabeth. REPUBLICANS ARE RESPONSIBLE It came out today that responsible Republican Bush has borrowed more (from China and Saudi Arabia) than all the other presidents in history combined. That means if the Americans stop having enough money to buy things made by China, and the Chinese themselves plus Europe and South America and India continue to prosper that the Chinese (and Saudis) can replace the American's purchasing power, and China could foreclose. (Think of a spouse running up huge debts and then walking out, leaving you to try to pay them. You'd have to sell your house and pay half your waittress salary forever to pay off this irresponsible spouse's reckelessness. That makes it easier to understand.) That could be all speculation except that many countries who put their money in U.S. banks have started moving it to Europe. They don't think it's safe here anymore because we're going into such huge debt. Maybe you didn't know that. Did you know that many conservatives find this administration to be very irresponsible? Maybe you didn't. DON'T BELIEVE IN ENTITLEMENTS Bush will indeed try to cut 50 billion in entitlements from the budget this week, mostly from programs for the elderly who worked all their lives, from children, etc. and will then, within days, try to give 63 billion in tax breaks to the wealthy? Is that okay with you? Is that cool logic or looting? It's so hard to find a justification for this sort of thing, but Republicans seem to so I'm dying to know how you do it. There are many generals who feel the Republican administratin was not responsible because of the inept way the war in Iraq was handled. Do you know that from Reagan on, it was only Republicans who ran up the national debt? Do you think it's okay to give corporate welfare? Like the government bonuses given the oil companies at the same time they made the biggest profits of any company in history? Do you believe that the price of gas and heating oil will affect the way the ordinary working person spends money, because they'll have less? And might drive a lot of mid-sized U.S. companies who do their manufacturing here, and create jobs here, out of business? If you dont' believe this, just say so. If you do believe any of these, is it okay with you? I appreciate your honesty.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Betsey » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:25 pm

You two! You are so funny together. I bet if you met you'd end up the best of friends. Barbara, I think you're like me. I have been hopping mad ever since Bush's brother handed him the election. And then the chaos since, when under Clinton, we had 8 years of prosperity. Signed, yellow-dog Democrat
Betsey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elizabeth Bits » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Barbara?
Elizabeth Bits
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:29 pm

Sorry, you make fudge, I do phone sessions with clients. I know you're one of the top 5 posters on this bbs, and I'm afraid I can't quite match you, Elizabeth. I sure hope you have time to make that fudge. Now, where were we. I think you said it's a liberal trick to ask more than one question. You're right. It's not fair of us to overtax your concentration like that. But I tried to separate them so you could answer one at a time (as I was doing with your letter when I was pulled away to work). Can you deal with it or would you like me to break it up into little pieces? It's almost time for my Commie TV viewing hour: Jon Stewart. Please don't start watching him, Elizabeth. You're perfect just as you are.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:35 pm

Elizabeth Bits wrote:No problem what-so-ever, Barbara. Happy to enlighten. Take a look at this from the liberal-leaning Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... -2005Jan11 Let me sum up for folks who don't want to read the whole thing: In order for this to be a crime, the agent must be truly covert. Valerie was working a desk job in Langley which, according to the Washington Post "is a no-no for a person with a need for cover." She clearly was not undercover. Barbara, did Michael Moore tell you that? If she WAS undercover would that change my opinion? She wasn't. It's like saying, "What would you do if the moon was made out of Godiva chocolate?" It's not. It's silly to discuss it unless you're just bored and it amuses you. The disclosure must be intentional "with the knowledge that the government is taking 'affirmative measures to conceal the agents relationship' to the U.S." We don't know the intention and that's a big chunk of this. Was this done on purpose? Was it a slip? Was it political hardball? Does it even matter since she was already "out"? Nope. That's why this discussion is just silly. If you have neutral or right-leaning sources reporting your side accurately go ahead and share. I'm happy to concede points when I'm proven wrong.
Ah, Elizabeth, you can't function without being snide. That's too bad. You disappoint me. You've never conceded anything, Elizabeth. But I've never really expected you to, or hoped for it. It's much more entertaining (not to say enlightening) to watch how you wiggle out from under facts. Like my favorite (well, before you said you liked the way Bush was stabilizing the near East - that still makes me chuckle you cute little devil!) when you said the reason Bush was so late helping the victims of Katrina was that he was, like you, too busy to watch television and didn't know about it. No concessions are expected. Just the joy of watching your answers. I may have to go looking for the facts about Valerie Plame to find your 'right-leaning' sources. If you can restrain yourself from thinking I've disappeared as another liberal trick, I'll go looking. Will you try?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:12 pm

Beautiful. I love it. If you didn't exist I swear I don't think we'd have the imagination to invent you, our own dear right winger.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby WaitingForPCH » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:11 am

BarbaraSher wrote:You've never conceded anything, Elizabeth.
Why should she? Elizabeth put the ball in your court and you dropped it:
Elizabeth Bits wrote:If you have neutral or right-leaning sources reporting your side accurately go ahead and share. I'm happy to concede points when I'm proven wrong.
I for one would prefer neutral ones but I don't think there IS such an animal. That's why I got out of following politics, and which is mainly the reason why I have no desire to answer the barrage of questions in this thread. Also because they were worded to inflame, so you could pounce on the answers, not for genuine enlightenment.
BarbaraSher wrote:Ah, Elizabeth, you can't function without being snide. That's too bad. You disappoint me. Can you deal with it or would you like me to break it up into little pieces?
And this wasn't snide??:
BarbaraSher wrote:Sorry, you make fudge, I do phone sessions with clients. I know you're one of the top 5 posters on this bbs, and I'm afraid I can't quite match you, Elizabeth. I sure hope you have time to make that fudge.
FWIW, not that it's any of your business, but I'm an Independent Libertarian, I have voted for both Dems and Reps, but maybe the reason that more conservatives haven't responded to your question is because they don't want to get into a pissing contest with a raving liberal. Or maybe it's because they have bigger fish to fry than worry about what politicians are doing or not -- neither side of which has the American peoples' best interests in mind. And just so you know I'm not picking on liberals, extremes on the right are just as annoying. Elizabeth asked you to stick to one point at a time AND provide neutral sources for your info, but as usual with liberals it's evade and dodge, and you still haven't answered her. Pot, meet kettle. With all due respect, Ms Sher, this anti-Republican vendetta you are on is most unattractive. It almost seems as if you've lost it. I think I had more respect for you when you were helping the Kilim women and the rest of us to achieve our dreams, rather than your current crusade to drive a wedge between opposite political factions. Which is a shame, because in 100 years politics won't matter one whit. Whatever party we voted for, we're still all Americans and have the freedom to think or vote however we choose. And we don't owe you or anyone else an explanation for it either. Besides, it's in extremely poor taste to shame someone else for voting differently than yourself. This is still America remember...land of freedom to be anything we GD well please to be? Or have you forgotten that? But hey, it's your board. If you want to make this a liberal bastion then that is your right. Just dont' be surprised why you have only one conservative brave (or is it stupid -- sorry Elizabeth :wink:) enough to bite when you bait. Go ahead and ban me for speaking up if you want. It's not the first time I've been rejected for speaking the truth.
Last edited by WaitingForPCH on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaitingForPCH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions