The Secret - Video

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 am

CNN.com wrote:"It's a triumph of marketing and magic," said John Norcross, a psychologist and professor at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania who conducts research on self-help books.
... yes, a triumph, preying on the wishful thinking attitude of many people out there. I suppose I'll have to watch it so I can give it a good rip like I did with What the Bleep. :) But, it's money well spent, in the name of research ...
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:09 pm

You can get it on Netflix now.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Serial Diver » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:06 am

Tricia56 wrote: Still working on accepting things that happened to me as a child - being my responsibility - some how and some way.
Dear Tricia, I'm so sad to hear of you trying to take on responsibility for wounds that you received as a child, that I don't even know how to start to talk to you, but I really hope that you will not devote much of your energy to this attempt. I worked in a center for young children who were at high risk of abuse and neglect, and believe me, these children were in no way responsible for the terrible things that happened to them. There is nothing that an infant can do that can make it responsible for an adult who puts cigarettes out on her skin. There is nothing that a toddler can do that make her responsible for the adult meth user who doesn't feed or clean or even talk to her. Adults are completely responsible for their behavior toward the children in their lives, no matter what the children do or don't do. As adults, we can take responsibility for how we now learn to live with and manage whatever injuries we still carry from childhood. I'm with you there completely. But infants and children are NEVER responsible for being the victims of the adults around them. Never. I know that you are holding on to The Secret because it offers you hope. There are some nuggets of truth in there, but they are buried inside these types of extreme exaggerations of individual power through thought. Your thoughts are powerful, because they will shape your behaviors. Your behaviors will influence the results that you get. But the world is FULL of individual people, and your mind and beliefs cannot control all those other people. Including the people who did things to you, good or bad, as a child. SD
Serial Diver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby scottjs » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:32 am

If you go to Youtube.com you can watch about 20 minutes of it for free!!!
scottjs
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:53 am

Excellent article posted by kdb in another thread: I think this article from Scientific American about \"The Secret\" is an excellent one: http://tinyurl.com/2dod68
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:19 am

Here's another one in a critical thinking blog: http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2007 ... ecret.html Critique on Oprah and The Secret (and \"Oprah culture\" in general): http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/0 ... print.html
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Shiral » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Tituba wrote:Well I borrowed the tape and watched it this weekend. The positive thinking is great if followed by action. I just don't believe in magic. Too many people believe they can sit on their couch and just think themselves to success. If the positive thinking puts you in a mindset where you allow yourself to pursue opportunities, then it is powerful. If it cripples you into being lazy and believing in Santa Claus, then it is harmful. I do know that visualization is important. Same with affirmations. But only if they change behavior and actions. Not if it is just pretty stuff you tell yourself and continue doing the same things the same way and expecting a different result.
I agree. It's good to feel self-confidence and that you're excited about your goal. But there's no substitute for passionate commitment, discipline and butt-busting hard work to make your dream happen. It's good to feel happy about it while you're doing it and it's great to see your dream come true, but you can't just sit there and expect it to happen with no effort on your part. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Dear Tituba, Recently alot of your posts have turned negative. I don't understand this but I wish all the good in you all the best. Myself, I'm glad I "shelled" out $4.00 on this when people are regularly shelling out $9 for movies like "The Saw" part 14, or the latest "Our overpaid superstar is on the promo poster carrying a loaded or smoking gun..." type flicks. Best wishes to anyone ever producing any material with an intention of making folks lives better.Happy 2007 to all.
I don't think Tituba's comment was negative. Personally, I think the Secret is hogwash. Just in case you're curious. I've seen people do just as well who didn't believe in themselves at all. And thinking you can influence the universe by thinking something is a bit disturbing. You're free to believe what you like but I'd take it easy on saying negative things about people who disagree with you.
I'm glad I didn't shell out any money for the video. Rent or borrow it if you want to see it.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 am

I watched the first 20 minutes online and think the video may be deceptive. I say that because it has a glossy and mystical air about it but incorporates techniques which Napoleon Hill and several others have given out before. For instance in the first 20 minutes while they are talking about this mystical secret, they are basically telling you to do what Napoeon Hill told you to do in his 10 steps. The first 2 are Definateness of Purpose and Positive Mental Attitude. Well theres nothing mystical about successful people defining their objective then having the positive mental attitude to take action without giving up. Also, you will be more succesful if you think about ways to do something than if you think about reasons it can't be done. So, while some of the stuff they say can help you acheive your goal, it is the action you take that will bring good things into your life and not just the thinking about it. Its amazing how every time they said something, Napoleon Hill, Tony Robbins, Norman Vincent Peale, Zig Ziglar, and others came to mind. Old ideas with a glossy mystical spin. I don't tink the thinking positive creates the changes, it just gets you motivated to spot opportunities and take action where you may not have done so in the past.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby missC » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:10 pm

The claim that we're responsible for every experience in our lives, reminds me of women who judge rape victims harshly, as 'asking for it'. It protects them, enables them to believe it could never happen to them: that 'bad things' don't happen to 'good people' - or people who think/act in carefully prescribed, ritualistic ways. Magical thinking leaves us weak and helpless, unable to deal with the real world.
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:14 am

My problem with it is that it just says what others have already said, in other books. If you haven't read any of those books then it is probably pretty good for a synopsis of others work, as long as you see the technique behind the magic. But I don't know if you would be able to do that if you haven't read the other works.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:35 pm

What is that quote from the Bible? "There is nothing new under the sun."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:06 am

It also says 'beware of false teachers'
Unity
Mega Poster