The Secret - Video

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby jcjm » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:32 am

From the 20 minutes given for free on line, I didn't think it was TERRIBLE. I think people who have read Barbara's books will see through a lot of the stuff as just a rip off and compilation of others peoples work, but for people who haven't read all Barbara's books or many of Dr. Dyer, Tony Robbins, etc., it may motivate them to take some action. The thing that rings true to me is that it is hard to reach a goal if you don't know what it is or you don't believe it is attainable. If nothing else, The Secret gets people to think about these 2 things, which are the starting points of Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" and many other works.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:40 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:Personally, I think the Secret is hogwash.
Much as I respect Barbara’s opinions, I didn’t want to pass judgement on the Secret or contribute to this thread without first seeing it and making up my own mind. Well I watched the first 20 minutes on YouTube today, thanks to the tip from scott, and I say yes, it’s total hogwash, and the pigs were cleaned much more thoroughly than I expected. First I found the mix of mystical conspiracy theory with pseudoscience very off-putting, and the smarmy voices of the presenters made me cringe, but that might just be personal taste. New-agey relaxation music gives me the heebie-jeebies too, but plenty of other people seem to find it soothing.
Well theres nothing mystical about successful people defining their objective then having the positive mental attitude to take action without giving up.
I agree jcm, that’s not mystical, and it can be a successful technique, but it’s not what the Secret is about. On the video they claim that the circumstances of your life are directly caused by your thoughts, and you are therefore personally to blame for anything that happens to you. They say this is due to the Universal Law of Attraction – like attracts like – so if you think about bad, negative stuff, then your thoughts will cause bad things to happen to you, and vice versa, if you have positive thoughts they will attract good things into your life. To illustrate this law they mention the power of attraction of magnets. But there’s actually no such thing as a universal law of attraction. I remember pushing magnets together in a school physics lesson, and discovering that like poles repel each other. It’s the opposite poles that attract. In chemistry classes I learnt that positive ions get together with their opposite, negative ions, to create stable chemical compounds, and batteries work because positive and negative ions are attracted to oppositely charged poles. And if the law of like attracting like works for living organisms, then surely we should all be gay. I wonder if those Secret people really believe what they preach. If you take it to its logical conclusions it means you should never take any safety precautions, because to do so requires thinking about, and therefore attracting, the potential bad events you are trying to prevent. I presume those people don’t lock up their houses, keep their money or valuables in banks, take out insurance, install fire extinguishers, go for medical checkups or worry about the safety of their children, but instead rely on the power of their positive thoughts for protection. How does the Law of Attraction explain disasters that happen to whole communities? I suppose the Irish potato famine could have been caused by the entire native Irish population fantasising about starving to death. But why they would they have those thoughts when there hadn’t been a famine like it before? During the blitz in London, I guess bombs only fell on people who were worried and frightened by the war and the possibility of being killed, whereas negative thoughts like that never crossed the minds of people who didn’t attract bombs. Likewise, during the great plague epidemics of Europe, the rat fleas that spread the disease must have been able to tell the difference between negative and positive thinkers. The Jews and Roma who perished in Hitler’s camps must have been real champions of communal negative thought, although apparently they weren’t actually thinking about being gassed. They just thought they were going in for showers. So how did they draw that fate on themselves? And I’m really puzzled about how the indigenous people of south America managed to attract Europeans from all the way across the Atlantic, to come and exterminate them with their weapons and diseases. How could they have had such powerful negative thoughts about Europeans when they didn’t even know such people existed. And when a baby is born dead or with serious problems, whose negative thoughts are to blame for that? Could the child possibly have attracted it’s own misfortunate by having such dreadful thoughts while in the womb? Or is it the fault of the parents for having worries and fears connected with the birth? I imagine that all prospective parents would have similar fears and worries, so why is it that in most cases those negative thoughts have no effect on the health of the baby? I could go on and on, but that’s enough for now. I think a little logical thinking shows clearly how much nonsense the whole thing is. But it seems that many people have lost the ability to think, ask questions and seek proof of what they are told, and that is rather worrying. Well I’m probably doomed to a life of misery now for having all those negative thoughts about the Secret :wink:
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

with respect to Skannie....

Postby RavenWolf » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:28 pm

I thought we weren't supposed to be discussing \"The Secret\" here anymore? My entire thread got closed, and it was stated it was against the *rules* to be discussing The Secret on this board. I was asking pretty much the same questions as skannie here about the whole premise of The Power of Intention, and ended up looking like the bad guy (girl) for it. Now, I'm not PRO Secret.... nor am I against it... yet. But I'd like the change to educate myself and discuss it somewhere to learn as much as I can. If it has been decided that I'm not allowed to here (since Barbara clearly stated that this was not what this board was for) and I had my thread closed, why has this thread gone on for 5 pages? Inquiring minds want to know.... :?
Last edited by RavenWolf on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Bletcher: This Millennium Group - They really believe all that stuff - Nostradamus and Revelations, the destruction of the world? Frank Black: They believe we can't just sit back and hope for a happy ending.
RavenWolf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:39 am

Raven - you jump to conclusions that aren't based in fact. Barbara said it would be great with her if we stopped talking about The Secret and moved on to working on our lives. Nowhere did she said "we weren't allowed" to talk about it anymore. Your thread was locked because there was no need to have two threads on the same subject going.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RavenWolf » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:23 pm

It was just a question. No one can learn if they do not ask questions.
Bob Bletcher: This Millennium Group - They really believe all that stuff - Nostradamus and Revelations, the destruction of the world? Frank Black: They believe we can't just sit back and hope for a happy ending.
RavenWolf
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:01 am

In the Secret they try and justify themselves to cover a wider audience e.g. Christians by using 'reap what you sow' type phrases. Somewhere I read that the other book that this one is based on (someone mentioned it in the posts above) was banned by the Church for being heretical (or something like that) when it first came out. However even if the Secret wasn't around, there are some Christian groups that believe very similar things and it's your fault that misfortunes happen as you are not praying and thinking correctly. I think they are right however about dwelling on the negative which can end up taking over your whole life. I don't think that stops you from achieving goals if you are determined, but it won't make life very pleasant as you are always resentful, angry and in self-pity mode. Feeling like that you are bound to get stressed, therefore could get physically ill from it. On the subject of literally attracting bad luck like a magnet. There are different ways I would approach this. Those of us that deny out feelings, too afraid to speak up. Could get into situations/behaviour that will have consequences, not all of them nice. If you constantly dwell on the negative side of life then anything that happens will become another tragedy, you could even believe your family is cursed. Whereas if you were to try and find positives, or at least accept life and deal with it, it will be easier. Sometimes I get quite irritated with people that come up to me and say how sorry they are about my life, or that I must be the unluckiest person they know. What a good way to to greet someone! I certainly don't feel unlucky.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm

deleted and reposted
Last edited by jcjm on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm

skannie wrote:
BarbaraSher wrote: The Jews and Roma who perished in Hitler’s camps must have been real champions of communal negative thought, although apparently they weren’t actually thinking about being gassed. They just thought they were going in for showers. So how did they draw that fate on themselves? :wink:
I have often wondered about this while watching Shindler's list and had similar feelings watching All Quiet on the Western Front and Private Ryan. Why some people and not others? I guess the makers of The Secret would say many Jews got out before it was too late and those that stayed were caught in the trap because they chose to think things were going to get better and not look at the situation and flee. However, this just seems to be 20/20 hindsight to me. Its easy to look back in retrospect and say how something could have been avoided.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:02 pm

RavenWolf wrote:It was just a question.
No RavenWolf, it wasn't just a question, it was a rant. You wrote parts of it in capital letters. On the Internet that's considered to be shouting, and is rude and aggressive. I think you need to learn some assertive communication skills instead of swinging between passiveness and aggressiveness all the time. A good book to help you with that is A Woman in Your Own Right by Anne Dickson.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:32 pm

jcjm wrote:
skannie wrote:
BarbaraSher wrote: The Jews and Roma who perished in Hitler’s camps must have been real champions of communal negative thought, although apparently they weren’t actually thinking about being gassed. They just thought they were going in for showers. So how did they draw that fate on themselves? :wink:
It looks as if jcjm was having problems with the quote function. It can be a bit tricky. So to clarify, it was me, not Barbara, who wrote that statement about the Jews and Roma, and the winking smiley wasn't associated with it in my original post. I don't think the Holocaust is the slightest bit amusing. And just in case I didn't make it clear enough, that list of explanations I gave about how various disasters might have happened is not what I believe to be true. It was an exercise to demonstrate the conclusions I would have to reach if I assumed the Secret's theories to be correct. In fact I think those theories are not only nonsense but have the potential to be dangerous and destructive.
I guess the makers of The Secret would say many Jews got out before it was too late and those that stayed were caught in the trap because they chose to think things were going to get better and not look at the situation and flee. However, this just seems to be 20/20 hindsight to me. Its easy to look back in retrospect and say how something could have been avoided.
So the Jews who had worries and fears and negative thoughts about what might happen to them were saved. The positive thinkers who imagined everything would be ok perished. That is actually the exact opposite to what the Secret claims. I think it proves that negative thoughts can be equally as useful in generating success as positive thoughts, if they lead to appropriate action. But thoughts of themselves have no power to make anything happen.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:15 pm

\"but thoughts themselves have no power to make anything happen\" When people decide on an intention they can believe it's like magic when they unexpectedly come across something that relates to the subject. Years ago I did a creative writing excercise. Look out for everything that's yellow for a day. So I got a notebook and started looking around. I couldn't believe what I saw, where did it all come from? Started wondering if it had all shipped in by the truckload especially for this day? :D How many Secret fans have read books on coincidences I wonder? As it happens I always seem to know when I'm going to meet someone I know either where I live or in strange places - it happens often even abroad.. I think that there are many untapped parts of the brain, and it's nothing magical at all. My son's autistic and non-verbal, can't read or write yet he can do things that are incredible. A lot I think is by the instinct that most of us have lost in this modern age. Sorry realised I've gone off on a tangent.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tricia56 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:53 pm

Ok if everyone is on the same frequency - then things can happen - the audiobook says something about if someone thinks it is possible to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - and I got to thinking that bad thoughts could then have the same frequency - so maybe someone is thinking a different bad thought and so on and so forth - not necessarily the exaxt same bad thought - just bad thoughts can have the same frequency? Most religions (the Secret is a philosophy) have the same delimma - why do disasters happen to good people or bad things happen to good people - and if you pray you will get what you pray for - but God sometimes has different plans - that is what religions say when prayers give a different answer than the one people prayed for. Eventually I am hoping more books will come out telling us more - to helps us understand this better.
My Blog is: http://www.Tricialovesbooks.blogspot.com Let go of the belief that the past could have been any different.
Tricia56
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:39 am

skannie wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:It was just a question.
No RavenWolf, it wasn't just a question, it was a rant. You wrote parts of it in capital letters. On the Internet that's considered to be shouting, and is rude and aggressive. I think you need to learn some assertive communication skills instead of swinging between passiveness and aggressiveness all the time. A good book to help you with that is A Woman in Your Own Right by Anne Dickson.
I agree that it was a rant. I'm leaving it up because it got answered intelligently so I hope it will teach all readers what I mean, but I'm starting to get a bit cranky about this. Be careful. You're only welcome here if you respect the rules, explicit or implicit. You know what they are. If you don't, stop posting for a few weeks, and start reading the other posts on this board. Compare how many rants and posts with an attitudes there are with how many calm and earnest attempts to solve problems. Raven, your tone will be completely acceptable on a lot of other public bulletin boards on the net. You don't need this board for rants and I don't want them here.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

FYI

Postby YO » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:27 pm

I joined a secret support group. It's mostly a lot of mumbo jumbo to be quiet honest. My Barbara Sher Success Team can't be beat! I'll stick with that group...20 months and going strong!
I see now that the emotion we call fear is really a huge source of energy. So whenever I tingle with that vibration, I know that I'm on the precipice of something significant
YO
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Friday Afternoon Brain Rumblings ...

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 am

Friday Afternoon Brain Rumblings ... Speaking statistically, let's say life in general (whatever it is: the economy, society, Earth, etc.) will pretty much go at a predictable pace as far as us humans can perceive it in this tiny slice of time in the universe. Let's call that percentage 95% (just to make it closer to 100% than not). Then, there's 5% chance that life could be altered slightly or dramatically. For dramitically, let's say for overall Earthling society a meteor hits us, a massive world war, global warming hits the point of no return ... whatever. Of course, most of us have to concentrate on ourselves most of the time just for survival and maybe "thrival". Let's say within that 5% is the accumulation of everyone's effort. In other words, the world is not 100% the same year after year, and there's 5% chance it will change. Well, from events like the Iraq war, the hurricane Katrina, etc., AND everyone's life events and accidents, the total of life as we know it does change tiny piece by tiny piece (and bigger pieces for the wars and natural disasters, etc.) And 95% stays the same ... and predictable. To bring it down further, say you want to get a degree in something to change your career. Say you accomplish this in a few years. You're depending on "life in general" to remain fairly constant, because that degree isn't going to do a lot of good if we're being run by a martian empire or if a world war causes us all to be crawling around scrounging for food after the nuclear winter (or whatever). I am getting to a point (I think). So, even if events happen to us individually, "life in general" remains about the same for most of us. We depend on it, and that's why things that we tend to imagine, DO happen (by coincidence). Given an above zero probability, it can happen. We don't know the probability of a martian invasion ... pretty close to zero as far as we know, but the probability of a nuclear world war is greater than that, and the probability that you'll bump into your cousin who lives in your town is even greater, and the probability that you'll go to work and come home that evening is even greater. So, my point having to do with the secret, no matter what you think, positive or negative, stuff's going to happen the same way it was going to happen no matter what you think about (with 95% certainty and room for random error). And in all the events (millions, trillions?) that happen every day, some will coincide with some people's positive thoughts, some will coincide with some people's negative thoughts, just based on random chance.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions