Things to remember when everything goes wrong

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Things to remember when everything goes wrong

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 am

"...happiness is not the absence of problems, but the ability to deal with them. Imagine all the wondrous things your mind might embrace if it weren’t wrapped so tightly around your struggles. Always look at what you have, instead of what you have lost. Because it’s not what the world takes away from you that counts; it’s what you do with what you have left."

http://www.marcandangel.com/2014/01/08/ ... oes-wrong/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Things to remember when everything goes wrong

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Everything went wrong today. Not the big everything, but the little everything. I enjoyed the article.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Kim » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Yeah, I got to experience that quite literally when my income as as long-time self-employed person collapsed to next-to nothing in a short time and remained at that level, a few years ago. It left me unable to pay the bills and the rent, as I had no savings yet (and had been happy enough that my student loan repayments were finally out of my life). I was too old and too educated to be able to get a job. The economic climate sucked so there were not that many jobs anyway. There was very little that I could do. Many things - food! - became a challenge, and believe it or not, finding food can be fun. Otherwise, I was very limited in what I could do, however. I got evicted, was desperate, had literally nowhere to go and no money to go anywhere, not even the next town, and I lost everything I owned. So I was homeless for a while. But that also freed me up for a while, gave me things to focus on and accomplish again - the ability to deal with things, which I enjoyed, though I was also often utterly worn out. By contrast, up to the eviction, I was just a powerless sitting duck. People did tell me to "get help", but in practice, little or none is often available. After the eviction, getting help was much easier, and I had an easier, much simpler goal. I no longer had to worry about all my stuff, what to do with it, because all my stuff was gone. It made things much simpler.
Kim
New Poster
New Poster

Postby velvet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Wow, Kim, that's a difficult story. But amazing how you found your way out of it.
I love this quote, Tituba, it reminds me of when I was severely poor and felt poor and tried to keep getting things to make me feel like I had choices and I could own things.
Something finally shifted, and I started letting go of stuff, giving it away, organizing my super tiny apartment, and making room in my life. Meanwhile, also working through debt to pay it off, and I began saying thank you if I found a penny because it was "a penny closer to my dreams!" In many little ways, I changed how i viewed the world around me, and circumstances began changing as well.
I gave myself permission to focus on my goals and begin to believe I could have them and live them, and it helped so much. Being on this message board helped so much, too.

Right now my husband and I struggle with infertility. It's so heartbreaking to keep failing, and yet, it does help to focus on the many things we already have in our lives. And to walk away from the focus on what we dont have.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions