Finding People Through online sites

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Finding People Through online sites

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 am

Hi everyone,

Has anyone on the boards ever used any of these sites for finding people online:

beenverified.com
mylife.com
peoplefinders.com
peekyou.com
advancedbackgroundchecks.com
ancestry.com
archives.com

They all seem to require joining and paying a fee.

I've never been on Facebook. I don't know if that would help. I don't necessarily want to be "found" myself.

But there are many people from my past that I'd like to know if they're still alive (I'm in my 60's and many people I knew were much older than me). I dread the results because many people (including siblings that I've not been in contact with for 20 years) may no longer be alive but at this point I want to know.

And there is one person from a success team that I lent something to that I'd like back and I haven't been able to locate them through email or here on the boards.

So, the question for you, dear friends from the boards, is........... what are your experiences in locating people you haven't been in touch with for many, many years? Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Lots of love to all those on the boards who helped me so much in the past.

InspireSuccess
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Finding People Through online sites

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:17 pm

I used both ancestry and archives. I think both sites will let you conduct searches with a free, one-week registered membership. But if you know the correct links, you can by-pass the registration and get directly to certain databases. For example, the 1940 Census can be searched for free without logging in, although the index may not be complete.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Ahh, now I understand what you're trying to achieve, and I don't think these will help you.

Have you tried www.whitepages.com yet? It's basically an online phone book. You do not need to register.

Good luck!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Square Peg (I like your name!)

I tried whitepages.com. and it sends me to something called spokeo.com. I guess I'll just have to experiment with different sites. I'll try the two you mentioned.

I did find the address in the white pages of my brother I've been out of touch with for many years (13?). It's the same address I have in my address book so I'm going to try writing to him.

The person who has (maybe) my guitar books requires me to sign up with spokeo.com. at least I think it's her.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions