Help me find my wish!

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Help me find my wish!

Postby Jessica » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Thank you for your input!!
Very good point about it not having to be a lifelong thing. Thank you.
Jessica :)
Jessica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 am

This is kind of and update, kind of a rephrasing. I wrote this on Hanging Out, so thought I would post it here to see if you all have any further ideas. :D

My loves (that I know of – are there more out there?):
singing, dancing, real estate and residential design, and eating delicious food. But I mainly enjoy doing these things with people who are equally as excited about them.
Singing – I want to go to a concert with friends, or go out for a karaoke night. Small town and boring friends. :(
Dancing – I can dance at home, but it’s just not very fun without with energy and excitement from others who are dancing too. I have chronic pain too, so I have to be careful with this one anyways. And again, small town and boring friends. My best idea is to try Zumba at the gym.
Real Estate – I love walking through the houses or maybe helping others find a house they love or even help them figure out how to sell theirs. But I’m not into or talented at the sales or business side. The thing I’ve thought of to do for this one is to go peek in new construction so that I don’t have to bother a real estate agent to meet me there. And to offer to help friends, but so far no takers.
Residential Design – I LOVE floor plans. So I look at those on the internet sometimes, but it would be so much more fun if there was a purpose to my looking. I also am interested in interior design (but not talented), so I learn bits and pieces about that on the internet and enjoy perusing photos.
Eating Delicious Food – I don’t cook and am not able to with the chronic pain, but I do like to go out to eat or eat other people’s cooking. Sometimes I go out by myself, sometimes with a friend. Small town limits restaurant options.

And now that I think about it, dancing and being a foodie are my top 2. :)
Jessica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Just how small is this town?

Your biggest problem, as I understand it, is that you can't find anyone who shares your interests. And. yes, it's usually more fun to do things with other people. Is there some place nearby, maybe in a neighboring town, where you can meet people? Classes are always a good place to find people who like the same things you do. Is there a college anywhere nearby? Are there any places with dancing and karaoke that you can go to and meet people?

It sounds as though you do have some friends, but they're not interested in the same things that you are. Would any of them be willing to try one of your activities in exchange for you trying one of theirs?

That's all I've got.

Unless you want to move.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:49 am

There's something nagging at the back of my brain about your interest in living spaces, Jessica, and I can't quite put it into words, but before you search for an appropriate application, it would be a good idea to get this part clear:

What are the sweet spots for you in working on a living space? For example, for me (and I'm not good at organizing a space into something that doesn't yet exist) the main thing I think of is 'where would it be cosy to sit and near a window or a bright lamp so one could read - maybe an overstuffed chair where they could do their homework on the arm of the chair..." etc.

I say that only for contrast to whatever it is that interests you.

And I'd love to know some more contrasts so Jessica can see the difference and define her attraction more clearly.

It's not easy to isolate what the best part of something is for you because you simply assume either that 1) everybody thinks the same way you do, or 2) you're the weird one and 'proper' room designers care about traffic patterns or 'fields of yellow' or whatever the hell one is supposed to care about. All the same, we should all try.

Then Jessica's special angle on living spaces will become much more clear, and that should help this project at least a little.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jessica » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Thank you so much for your input, Barbara & Elaine!

The small town thing, I've thought a lot about it. It's big enough (maybe barely, but still) that there really SHOULD be more fun people and things to do! I haven't figured out how to find them yet though. :bash:

The sweet spots for working on a living space.....
I like finding the right function of a house/floor plan/rooms for the people who will live there. For example, which rooms need to be quiet and how exactly to accomplish it.
I like walking through homes or floorplans and critiquing their function and what kind of family they would work for.
Aside from that, when I see photos of living spaces that I am drawn to personally, I get all dreamy, starry eyed, and possibly drool a little bit. ;)

Also, because of me wanting to use it myself, I have very recently been learning some about organizing and feng shui. Maybe I could use that to help people someday if I get good at it.

Thanks again!!
Jessica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Jessica wrote:Who/how should I ask in order to meet people who are also interested in homes? I tried online, but I only ran into professional groups (where you have to be a professional).

Jessica, I think you should try a couple of things that will allow you to teach an informal class in 'making your home a wonderful environment,' (or some such wording), and I think these things will help you get to know more people in your town:

1) if there's any college or high school, or any amateur theater setup in your area at all, call to see if they have a theater program and see if they allow visits from curious outsiders (maybe play up the set production angle).

2) Churches often have open meeting rooms on Saturdays and will advertise any informal discussion group (led by you) once or twice (more if it's a hit and if you really like leading it). You can find before and after pictures in magazines or online and talk about this. See if anyone wants to present a problem you can figure out how to solve (and get everyone to draw the outcome).

3) Hardware stores and places that sell furniture and wallpaper and rugs will often sponsor a once-a-month Decorating Idea Party or some such thing. They might be willing to take before and after photos of friends' homes (or their own homes!) to help promote your event.

4) Bookstores that have decorating sections with great books to look through might welcome some kind of event and would help publicize it.

5) You can set up a Meetup.com or Craiglist event to meet at a public place (or any of the places I've suggested above) and bring in extra participants, which the churches would like very much, as would the

6) Get to know the local librarian. They might also be happy to have a meeting. You or they could invite speakers from some of the places in your town.

At the very least, you'd get to know the people in your town, and that might make things a whole lot better too!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this (I think someone did), you should talk to real estate offices to find out what kinds of 'staging' they do for their Homes For Sale. You can learn about it on YouTube I bet, but from what you've said in your most recent post, I think you could have a lot of fun teaching a lot of people a lot of stuff they'd enjoy very much.

You have kids, so maybe you can ask the teachers (and the parents you meet) if they know of any places where your talents and interests might be valued. (As well as, of course, local theater groups, etc. and maybe gardening get-togethers in the spring to set up the local parks.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions