If you don't know your passion

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

If you don't know your passion

Postby Tituba » Wed May 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: If you don't know your passion

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 pm

I like this one - start by identifying what you don't like. It narrows the field considerably.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:05 pm

I agree! When I couldn't get people to describe The Job From Heaven, I asked them to describe The Job From Hell -- and everyone could do it. I told them to get specific, and they did.

Then I said, turn each bad thing over and describe its opposite and see if that's what you want.

It usually was.

(Except when what they really wanted had nothing to do with a job, which they'd finally have to admit :-))
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Looking at the comments in that thread, they're really good. Intelligent.

But even these people get caught in the notion that 'doing what you love' has to be about work - income producing jobs. The debate is always the same: Can you do what you love for money or not? if not, then you shouldn't do it.

Or some say you should do it and starve, if that's your passion.

But both of those positions have a fatal blind spot.

The most satisfied commenters talk about having jobs they like and feeling fine about that, and they should. That's what I call a 'Good-Enough-Job,' which is a job that has only one thing wrong with it: It just isn't enough. You don't want your whole life to be nothing but that job.

That makes it a *great* job! I think they should call it 'A Personal Subsidy to the Arts.' It pays for life's necessities and leaves them free to do what they really enjoy without having to squeeze it into some shape that will bring in income.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Oh! I just posted this in another thread, but Mark Manson’s article “Screw Finding Your Passion” fits here, too.

As someone with a Good Enough job that has lasted over 16 years, I fully support your position, Barbara! My Art Subsidy job has allowed me to have so many fantastic experiences I could never have afforded if I’d tried to work any combination of my passions into a job or business full time.

There’re definitely too many people who are caught in this inflexible thinking and I think they’re going to be swimming in unhappy circles for a long long time if they don’t reevaluate. The dream lifestyle Millennials especially are hoping for is just as unlikely as finding a comfy union job to park in until early retirement arrives with a comfortable pension.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:12 am

As "baby boomers" retire and are replaced by Millennials, I think that employers are going to have to do more to accommodate Millennials, even if it's just a weekly "points-rewards" system to placate their need for more instant gratification.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby emspace » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Interesting idea, SP. Gamifying work! Would definitely work in a Sales environment, perhaps with Marketing people, too.

In fact, there’s a company just around the corner from my work that sells company reward programs that work like this, based on points. Check out Achievers.
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for the link to Achievers. Wow, I didn't think of it in terms of a business idea on its own, though. Interesting.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions