16 Years on...

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

16 Years on...

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:37 pm

So it says I joined on Sep 02, 1999. :jawdrop:

My last visit was was: Feb 22, 2009, yeah it's been a while. Stumbled upon one of Barbara's latest youtube videos and thought I'd see if I this board was still around. Turns out it is! :D

As for me, I'm still as lost and hopeless as ever. :bash:

Do you ever get the feeling that you should never have been given consciousness and that it should have been given to someone else more capable?
Eugene
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 16 Years on...

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Oh dear, Eugene. That doesn't sound like much fun. What's up?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:17 am

lol Where do I start. :? Or, I have no start so nothing to tell, that's the problem.

Actually there's no point in me rambling on about the circumstances of my empty life really. I've resigned myself to my thinking being so different to other people that it means me being permanently lost, directionless and unfulfilled.

Barbara, I've come to the conclusion that there are people like you in the world to balance out the people like me. Keep up the wonderful work.
Eugene
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 am

I'll be glad to, Eugene, but I'm not interested in balancing out the world, and I can't balance you out unless I can find at least one or two things you might like some help with. Not cosmic, just little, essential stuff:

Got a job so you can pay your rent? If so, do you hate it or tolerate it? (I can assume you don't love it.)

Is your health good enough to allow you to do things, should you choose to?

You sound a bit depressed so I have to assume nothing much interests you. That's the main symptom of depression, I've been told: lack of wanting anything. Would I be correct?

Do you like to read books or watch movies or plant things in the ground or pet dogs on their heads?

I won't ask if you have anybody to talk to right away, because you wisely came in here and said Hi, so you've got us.

Tell all, Eugene.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:05 am

Or, if you'd rather not talk about yourself, maybe you can tell me how to use some very unfamiliar things I just bought at an Asian supermarket in this small German town where I now live. I almost never cook - not so interested, and not very clever at it (I prefer to eat). But It's the first few days after a very long haul of hard work, so I was going to look for some office supply stores and I left the addresses upstairs, so I just walked until something looked interesting. That was the Asian market.

I knew very well that I should have either gotten that list of office supplies or stayed home and done some relatively pressing work, but I didn't want to.

The owner of the Asian market spoke English :-)) A big plus. So I wandered around. Everything was pretty cheap so I did my best read labels and get stuff. Now I'm home and it's on the table looking very foreign.

Maybe you, Eugene - or, if you know less than I do, I'll be happy to hear from anyone else - know how to use this stuff. Or maybe you'll find it faintly amusing to see what some people do when they don't want to do what they're supposed to do.

Here's what I have out on my table at this moment:

a plastic bag (vacuum sucked to fit the lumps) of frozen boneless roasted duck.

frozen springrolls mit shrimp and krabbenfliesh (I think I understand those foreign words. I'm sure you do, too.)

a cellophane package of glass noodles about as big as a chubby human’s forearm.

Something called Rice Sticks (which looks exactly like glass noodles but has a recipe in English on the front so I bought it anyway. Now I'm reading the recipe and it doesn't really make any sense.)

a package of very weird looking dried mushrooms (which I assume I should soak in something.)

a rather small heavy package of ‘Mix poor geroosterde eend’ aka 'Wurzmischung fur gerostete Ente.’ I think it’s duck spice.

shrimp chips (huh?) (I opened them. They're like slightly bent quarters, white and very hard. They'll have to be cooked for sure. I thought they were those crispy crunchy things.)

5 spice powder: anise, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel, pepper. (pumpkin pie mix if you get rid of the last two spices. I think fennel tastes like liquorice.)

Mama Sita’s Adobo Mix: garlic powder, sugar, salt, Flavour Enhancer (! How can I resist?) Acidity regulator (yummy!), Colour E150 (an essential!) and spices. (Spices! What were the things at the top of the list?)

Mama Sita’s Sinigang Sa Sampalok! Tamarind powder, salt, tomato powder, rice flour, sugar, pepper. (sounds healthier but there’s something painful about thinking of tomato powder. An Italian would cry.)

I think when my family gets home and sees this stuff, they'll go out for a local kebab)

Oh, wait, there's also a package of really thin, triangle shaped Spring Roll Rice Wrappers! If I can figure out how to stuff and roll and cook them I bet something good will happen.

I ask you first. If I get no answer, I'll go to YouTube. They know everything there. But I'm giving you this rare chance to bail me out, here. :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:49 am

Uh, throw them all into a wok and heat till edible? :mrgreen: I vote go with youtube.

I am pretty sure "Spice" is one of the many many terms used by food manufacturers for the ingredient otherwise know as MSG.

Why have you moved to Germany?

Sent a Pm to you, rather than have it show here.
Eugene
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Just saw your painting pages. Wow, Eugene. They're beautiful. I saw three I want. (Well, I saw more but you wisely decided they were not for sale.)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Lived in France for 5 years, just moved here a short while ago. I finally got bored with New York. Was spending most of my time in front of the computer anyway. Work with my younger son and he wanted us and his kid to be in the same place. Said he'd find someplace that I liked. (He had been living in Greece for many years.) So I said I liked the way France seemed to treat its people, and I wanted someplace high enough so we wouldn't have floods from global warming, with some kind of business in town so the place would have some energy and not just be a World Heritage Site; also universities so there would be good movies and bookstores, and he found Toulouse. It was great for 5 years. Son and grandson became fluent in French. (Not me, well I thought I was doing pretty well but the French - they're very sweet in Toulouse - would immediately say 'Woood you lak me to speek English?'

I was offended. I thought my accent was damned good and we never talked long enough for them to discover that 1) my vocabulary was very limited and 2) I couldn't understand anything they said back to me in French. So I developed a public attitude: I was warm and kind but I spoke only English, and they all apologised for the inferiority of their English. Mind you, we were in France. There was no reason on earth they should speak any English at all.

Then it was time for grandson to find a better school and we had kind of done Toulouse. I like it here because lots of people speak English, so I've made some friends and we've met some interesting people. We're on the border of France and Germany and these people are the way I always imagined the French would be: really nice family people, we're invited to get-togethers with good food and kind folks, and I'm living with my favorite people. (My son is fluent in German. He seems to speak every language, they all sound good to me, but the Germans are impressed with his German, so that counts for something.) Good enough explanation?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:47 pm

All I know is that you can boil the glass noodles like spaghetti, but probably for only 2 or 3 minutes.

Okay, the spring rolls. Thaw first. Then either deep fry or steam them. But the question is "How long?" My guess is that the shrimp and crab meat are raw, so I'd probably let them steam for 15 minutes. (I don't have a deep frier.)

The Mama Sita’s Adobo Mix.... I'm sure that would give me a migraine if not an actual seizure, so I'd re-gift it.

Okay, one more.... I guess I would thaw the duck and then bake it like a chicken.

Good luck, and please remember that I am not a professional chef. The advice given above has been provided solely for entertainment purposes. :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:09 pm

Thank you, Square Peg. Looks like very good advice. Unfortunately I cooked everything before I saw it and it went oh so terribly wrong. The garbage can is full of soggy noodles and we're watching each other for signs of raw shrimp reactions.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Eugene wrote:Uh, throw them all into a wok and heat till edible? :mrgreen: I vote go with youtube.
I am pretty sure "Spice" is one of the many many terms used by food manufacturers for the ingredient otherwise know as MSG.
Why have you moved to Germany?

Sent a Pm to you, rather than have it show here.

I sent one to you,too, but I'm not sure it went through so I found your email address and sent you an email.

If I could paint like that I'd feel pretty damn good. They're remarkable. You know what you're doing and it shows. You know how to capture remarkable color and light. They're really beautiful. Going back over there to order now.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Just went to your website for the third time, Eugene, and sent you an email. I thought I'd put this part of what I said here on the boards so people will see it. The paintings are really extraordinary.

"Your paintings are gorgeous and haunting, Eugene. I loved at least 10 more. You capture something I've never seen done that well before. The Cold Lake is so cold. (It's so realistic it made me feel cold and a little scared, which is why I'm not asking for that one :-) ) But it's astonishing. I feel like I'm standing on the shore.

And one of your ocean pieces, maybe more than one, with the yellow sand in the foreground, and the ocean stretching away to the horizon, is astonishing. I lived near the ocean for years and looked out at that scene many times, and I don't know how you captured how far away it feels, so quiet and impossibly distant, at the horizon. I didn't know you could get that feeling in a painting."

All my friends in college are/were painters, and they stuck with it and did well, and I spend time at museums looking at paintings whenever I can, so I'm not a total amateur. I'm very impressed.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vickih » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Don't be shy in sharing. One thing I have learnt quite recently is that being vulnerable and sharing who we truly are is how we find our tribe and go on to find our place and our inspiration. If you don't share you lose out on so much connection.
www.yourspiritualself.com
Vickih
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

I Just found this. Eugene, if you don't mind, I'd like to see your web site. please send me a pm with the web address if you don't want to post it on the boards. Or if you don't want to share that info, it's okay. I'm just curious to see your art.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:56 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I Just found this. Eugene, if you don't mind, I'd like to see your web site. please send me a pm with the web address if you don't want to post it on the boards. Or if you don't want to share that info, it's okay. I'm just curious to see your art.

I sent you a couple of PM's many months ago, doesnt look like you got them.

Yearly Update- Still no change.
Eugene
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions