Dancing but not teaching

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Dancing but not teaching

Postby gabipecsen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Heeey Illuminated Community!

I love dancing (samba, belly dance, reggaeton ...), but i`m not a registered dancer and I don`t want to teach people how to dance.
So I don't know how to make a living with passion. I would like to show my sensual dancing to people like a dancing show, but sounds like something from the ego. Is like ego is telling me: "-U need their attention to feel good about yourself."
So I start overthinking and I don't do anything and I feel that the time is passing for me. Anyway, I have this strong desire/feeling inside me to do something to express my creativity, but everytime I stuck :(
I'm dietitian/nutritionist but I don't want to make a living with this. I use nutrition only for me.
If u guys have any suggestion for me I would love to hear u!!!
Hugs and kisses!!!
gabipecsen
New User
New User

Re: Dancing but not teaching

Postby pattyn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am

Unusual places you might get paid to dance:
  • Trade shows (to attract people to a particular booth) - search for "event marketer" plus your city's name or "event venue" plus your city's name
  • Weddings - advertise at bridal shows and bridal shops, and through bands and DJs that you'll get everyone up and dancing
  • Mexican and South American restaurants that are newly offering Salsa Saturdays and need a few great dancers to get things started - might not pay in cash, but you should get at least a dinner out of it
  • Moroccan and middle eastern restaurants that want a belly dancer to perform while people eat
  • Jamaican and Caribbean restaurants that want a performer or are starting Reggae dance nights
  • Cruise ships, especially for theme cruises
  • Theme nights for social and service clubs - search for local Elks, Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, VFW, American Legion, Moose, etc.
  • Sales videos for wholesalers and retailers of belly dance or salsa dance costumes
  • On short web sales videos for other products - list your services on places like fiverr.com ($5 for a short clip they can edit into their video, lots more if they want to send the product to you to dance around)
  • Sales videos or open houses for studios that teach samba, reggaeton, or belly dance (most will use their instructors, but just as there are performers who don't like to teach, there are teachers who don't like to perform)

None of these will pay your bills right away, but over time, you could possibly build them into a full-time lifestyle that does. And it's very nice that you have diet/nutrition to fall back on if the physical nature of this work grows wearying over time. You might want to keep up a very tiny practice so that you can claim the continuous experience when it's time to do more of it.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

Yes, I agree with the suggestions. Show up wherever there's informal dancing and show what you can do until people notice you. I think your goals are very reasonable.

And don't worry about certificates. Isadora Duncan never had a lesson.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:57 pm

I immediately thought of the "Singing Telegram" except with dancing instead of singing, somehow.

Now that I've had time to censor myself, the idea of showing at someone's home or apartment to dance at someone in a sensual fashion seems risky. And with the workplace becoming ever more politically correct, getting office clientele might be difficult.

So I'll leave it at that and hope this encourages other ideas.

Good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Oh, I just remember hearing on NPR about paid wedding guests. In some Eastern cultures, a wedding planner might hire strangers to attend a wedding. A large number of guests is important, although I don't remember whether it's for status (my daughter's wedding was bigger than yours.) or for luck.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions