13 Years on...

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

13 Years on...

Postby dee33 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:59 am

Eugene's thread of "16 Years on...." got me thinking...

I joined this forum a little over 13 years ago. I went back and read of few of my posts back then, and it made me cringe (remembering the bad job I was in back then).

Self-Employment I: Somewhere around 2003 I took a Barbara Sher Success Team workshop. That helped me get out of a bad job, land in a better one, then start self-employment from 2004-2005. That was semi-successful, in that I made about 75% of what I needed to live on, and it was a huge learning experience.

Break from Self-Employment: Then I went back to a "regular job" from 2006-2009, and assessed what did/didn't work about self-employment. Basically, I had too many little clients, with gaps between them, and not enough medium-sized clients with regular work. Though I did have one good medium-sized job that I had found through a recruiter. I also observed some of the contractors at my "regular job" to gain some insight on what might work in self-employment II.

Then at the end of 2009, that regular job took its toll on my health.

Self-Employment II: Oddly, in 2009, the client from the "one good medium-sized job" that i had while self-employed in 2005 had contacted me from his new company.

So I have been self-employed again since 2009, working for One Good Client.

That is where I am now... and yes, I realize it is not a good idea to have only 1 client, especially when that one is dwindling. So I am at the point of trying to figure out how to branch out.

So FYI:
Wish: I want to market my business to new clients

Obstacle: I am sooooooo isolated!!! [Yes, I just watched Barbara's TED video]
dee33
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 13 Years on...

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi, Dee,

Would a part-time good-enough job be an option? It would solve the problem of isolation and provide some $$$ and hopefully not be a drain on your health. Reading your post that doesn't sound like something you want, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

You didn't say what it is you do. I assume it's coaching or being a success team leader. it sounds as if you need to market your business to get more clients. For that I'll send good wishes. I know nothing about marketing. I hope someone else jumps in.

Do you work with your clients person to person or through the Internet?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 13 Years on...

Postby tui » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:28 am

I am suspecting that you've tailored yourself and your product/s to suit your current client.

When you're not snowed under with work - you might ponder on how you could 'get more' from your current client.

You might also clarify for yourself 'where you fit' in the enterprise cycle. Start up? Transition to bigger things? Holding steady to reap the rewards of all the preparation? Even downsizing and reinventing?

From your current vantage point - if that biz was yours - what would you be doing to meet a challenge, change tack, build market share? How does what you do save money or make more? Improve efficiency and positioning?

How would you improve that to help your industry gain edge over the many competitors and options? Or does what you do apply to a number of industries?

When was the last time you stepped out of the niche to see what else is happening and refreshed your thinking? Saw things from a different POV? (Point of view) Shake yourself out of the rut, in fact.

Politely: so isolated didn't count before. What has changed? Remember - you're smarter and more experienced now. You also know more. What tools could you use/master to remove the isolation barrier?

Good luck with your reinvention and next venturing.

t.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions