So I think I've found my "good enough" job

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: So I think I've found my "good enough" job

Postby reginamirus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for all the information everyone! You guys are the bee's knees. :D

The agency is a nationwide group that specializes in keeping patients in their home environment for as long as possible. They require that all their agents be bonded and pass a background/drug screen (neither of which are a problem for me). I went through a rather lengthy temperament questionnaire, so I'm hoping that, with all this scrutiny, that I'll be able to make more than $12 an hour. $14/hr would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath. Pretty sure that I read somewhere that I'll be required to sign a non-compete clause. Wasn't sure what that was all about, but I think I have a good idea now, why.

Terrible that someone with a bachelor's degree has to beg for a job that pays barely above minimum wage, but such is the case with the job market here in the US these days. And being an overweight single female in my late 40's isn't helping matters much, either.

To answer questions, I live in OH, US. And I'm hoping against all hope that this will be ok. I'm in dire financial straights right now, and I'm placing all my proverbial eggs in one basket at this point. It's a long story, but basically, alot in my personal life has recently blown up, and I may be homeless and without a vehicle within the spanse of a month's time. I have so much up in the air right now, I'm finding it very difficult to breathe or stay focused on much of anything right now, other than to return to gainful employment ASAP. I'm hoping to avoid being thrown back into a super-toxic environment that makes me physically ill and/or compounds my precarious mental state. I'm also trying to get county help/assistance, but what's been offered has been rather listless, at best. Apparently I have to be an alcoholic/IV drug user before I can be taken seriously.

Patience is one of my virtues, but I'm running up against the clock right now. I'm hoping that my counselor on Monday will have some advice for me, or will at least help me to be able to breathe a little better.

And I have had my CPR/1st aid certification in the past, so I'm pretty sure it'll be old hat for me. ;)
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi,

The agency sounds really good. I think you would be a good fit. As far as your gender, age, weight and attitude towards the elderly, I think many older folks would feel very comfortable with you.

Thank you for being so honest about your personal situation. I relate deeply. I battled homelessness and the extreme difficulties of getting any governmental help. It took many years, but I'm finally back on my feet again. It's a terribly frightening situation. HANG IN THERE. I'm not a person who is going to say, "Everything will be all right, don't worry, everything happens for a reason, etc." I heard all those things and it didn't make it better. Pardon my language, but what a lot of...crap. (I was going to use other words but I'm being polite)!

What helped me make it through the most is that I'm a stubborn old cuss. People who want a more positive word call me persistent. It sounds like you are, too. You are in my heart and prayers.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:32 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Hi,

The agency sounds really good. I think you would be a good fit. As far as your gender, age, weight and attitude towards the elderly, I think many older folks would feel very comfortable with you.

I certainly hope so. If anything, this is what I'm shooting for. ;)

Thank you for being so honest about your personal situation. I relate deeply. I battled homelessness and the extreme difficulties of getting any governmental help. It took many years, but I'm finally back on my feet again. It's a terribly frightening situation. HANG IN THERE. I'm not a person who is going to say, "Everything will be all right, don't worry, everything happens for a reason, etc." I heard all those things and it didn't make it better. Pardon my language, but what a lot of...crap. (I was going to use other words but I'm being polite)!

Oh, good. What a relief that you said that! Sometimes I feel like airing my dirty laundry amongst people I don't really know is creating an unnecessary burden and awkwardness. Alot of the crap that I still deal with now stems alot from not being willing to ask for help, and letting people walk all over me who THINK they have my best interest at heart (but usually don't). The circumstance I'm in currently was precipitated by an attempt to finally stand up for myself. Now, I'm losing everything because of it. It's just stuff, I know, but my entire family has now completely turned their backs on me. My only lifeline at this point is my 16yo son (who still speaks to me), the county service people and you guys. And some FB friends who saw the melodrama as it unfolded.

What helped me make it through the most is that I'm a stubborn old cuss. People who want a more positive word call me persistent. It sounds like you are, too. You are in my heart and prayers.

I very, very much appreciate that. More than you know.
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:38 pm

I think the non-compete clause is agreeing into not to do what I suggested - get clients on your own. I can see their point.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 am

Back from the interview. It's worse than I thought. :-/

Minimum wage for training (2 days only), minimum wage with shadowing a new client. $8.75/hr 90 day probationary period. After 90 days, $9.00/hr. Yearly review you get a raise and a $350 attendance bonus, if you meet criteria. Good news is, they don't have enough caregivers. 92 caregivers for 130 clients in my county alone. But the pay is pretty dismal. I'm getting kicked out of my house, and I just cannot survive on that. And healthcare is pretty cheap. And they do compensate for mileage.

So, I dunno what I'm going to do. :( I know I'd be fabulous. I just don't know if I'll survive long enough to get adequate pay for my own essentials. Like car and rent.

The HR lady was very impressed with my writing, though. I gave her a copy of my original post up top. Did fingerprints and they'll be calling me as soon as they hear anything so I can get scheduled with orientation. I just don't know that this is the best choice for me, financially.

UGH!!!!
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry with your disappointment. I feared the low pay. That's why I was focusing on how fast we could get you certified to get higher pay. Did you ask them about night shifts/overnight shifts where you might get higher pay?

Do you think you will have enough energy to "moonlight" for another agency or advertise on your own, until you can move forward in other ways? The "compete clause" prevents you from “stealing” their clients. It doesn't prevent you from working on your own during your time off. At least that's my understanding of that. Your time is your own unless you're stealing their clients.

I know you're going to be great in this field. YOU HAVE A JOB! You've accomplished the first step in this journey. The next issue is housing and transportation. Do you have a plan for housing and transportation? If you feel comfortable sharing details that would help us brainstorm with alternate ideas.

I'm tempted to share stories about how I survived a similar situation, but I hesitate because I don't want to detract from your specific situation. Everyone's situation is different. I struggled with housing and transportation for a long time and got through it. I survived and I know you can, too.

We can help you here, by brainstorming with you and being supportive. There are ways to be creative in these situations.

Keep sharing details and we will keep coming up with suggestions.

In the meantime, CONGRATULATIONS ON HAVING A JOB! The pay is not good, BUT IT'S A START. It's important to focus on the successes as well as the challenges.

Big hugs coming your way from Inspire.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

More big hugs.

Consider the training and the shadowing a free education.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 pm

A sudden thought.

Don't answer if you don't want to but -

What was your major in? Is there any possibility of getting a good-enough job in this field?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:58 pm

I tell you what, you guys are such a blessing to me! I've been pretty despondent as of late about my situation, and I'm ever so grateful for all your help and encouragement. And it's not a passive "oh, you'll be fine", or "atta girl" kinda statements, but real solutions and brainstorming that's truly helping me connect the dots, mentally. Thank you, from the Elaine and Inspire, you have been a godsend to me.

Good news today, I'm slowly mending fences with my family. My situation isn't quite so dire, now that I've been seeking some professional help. Although my mother still isn't speaking to me, I'm getting word that she's pleased that I'm trying to get to the bottom of major depressive issues that have been plaguing me for most of my adult life. I will get back to healing that wound, and it's going to take time. Meantime, I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well with my background screening and check (no problems at all with that, so it should be fine going through the FBI database). I still have a car and a roof over my head. My only potential worry now is the healthcare and being able to continue with therapy, which I know I must do. A little worried that I'll be put on meds again (I've been down that road a few times with no success), but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm just going to have to find ways to supplement my income. That's all there is to it. I have the stained glass, and I'm learning wood turning (another interest of mine). We'll see how that goes. With this job, I did inquire as to availability and if I'll be able to get 40 hours a week. I was assured that they definitely have more clients now in my area than caregivers, and there's definitely an urgent need for people like me. I'm just going to have to prove my worth and make myself indispensable. :wink:

And to answer your question Elaine, my concentration was in language arts and Spanish, both of which I'm sure are quite rusty. I could tutor on my off hours, just not sure about my after school availability (which I'm sure can be hammered out accordingly). Fingers crossed, ladies. Things are looking up for me. :mrgreen:
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm

reginamirus wrote:With this job, I did inquire as to availability and if I'll be able to get 40 hours a week. I was assured that they definitely have more clients now in my area than caregivers, and there's definitely an urgent need for people like me. I'm just going to have to prove my worth and make myself indispensable.

You are definitely going to be indispensable. This type of work is such a great fit for you. Your clients are going to love you.

I'm glad you're mending fences with the family. That will take a little pressure off.

Happy that things are progressing. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 am

More hugs - happy hugs to you.
These are huge first steps.
If you ever hit a rough patch, look back at your first posts and see how far you've come.

And big congratulations on mending fences with your family. Isolation really is a dream killer.

:D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:28 am

I'm scared to post this, but . . . here goes.

Right now everything may be new and exciting. You may hit a "stage 2" as Barbara Sher would say. It's like the day after Christmas when everything is a let-down. Hang in there - it doesn't last. "Stage 3" is a calm happy feeling, not as exciting as "Stage 1" and not as sad as "Stage 2," where you're just going along doing what you need to do to make your dreams happen.

More big hugs to you. You've earned them.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Regina,

When you came on the boards were you able to just start posting or did you have to do something to join the boards?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Regina,

When you came on the boards were you able to just start posting or did you have to do something to join the boards?

Hhmm...I registered, posted a quick intro in the general forum (where it says "post here first"), then just started posting. Should I have been posting something else before I came in here to post?

Gotta be honest, here. I'm getting seriously nervous about this job, already. I went digging (I know, something I should have done a little deeper BEFORE I committed, but it is what it is). And I know not all franchises are the same but... OMG :jawdrop:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 18153.html
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/age/home.html

Not quite so sure about this one, anymore. Thoughts? :?
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 pm

reginamirus wrote:Not quite so sure about this one, anymore. Thoughts? :?

First, I'd say use your intuition. If you don't feel good about it, you don't feel good about it, and that's that.

If you'd like to give it a try, I'll give you my take on it. I read some of the reviews. I admit I did a quick read through -- not very thorough. But I'm going to give you my take on some of these complainers.

One said she was sent out on a job with no training or shadowing. WHY THE HECK DID SHE GO OUT ON A JOB WITHOUT TRAINING OR SHADOWING? If they try to send you out like that SAY NO.

One said she was sent on a job where the client clearly needed medical help. AND THEN THE PERSON KEPT WORKING FOR THEM. If they send you out on a job like that, you immediately call them, explain the situation and once you're off that particular job, either quit the agency or make it clear you're willing to try ONE MORE TIME and if it happens a second time, quit the agency.

One said her first job was an overnight on New Years Eve. She was supposed to get paid time and a half and didn't. AND SHE KEPT WORKING FOR THEM. If you work for them and they stiff you, quit the agency.

If you work for them and they don't pay you what they said they would, quit the agency and report them.... Lynx is really good at knowing government agencies to report people to.

Franchises are bought and then run by the people who bought them. Different locations are going to be different. Your agency might be better than the complainers' agencies.

I would suggest reading these complaints slowly and thoroughly and really see if you TRUST THE COMPLAINER. Some of these folks don't seem like they have an ounce of common sense! We both know you're intelligent and loaded with common sense.

Before you go out on any job for these folks you should have a CONTRACT IN HAND that spells out exactly what they pay, what their policy is on overtime, what the difference in pay is from day job, night job, overnight job. IT ALL NEEDS TO BE IN WRITING. Remember, YOU CAN QUIT AT ANYTIME unless there is some clause or agreement that you've signed that says you're obligated to perform a certain amount of work before you quit. READ THE FINE PRINT. Tell them you need to think it over before you sign and tell them you'll be back tomorrow with the signed agreement. Call them before you sign and feel free to ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU WANT. You can even say, "I'm concerned because I read some reviews at this website and here are the issues I'm concerned about".

Read the reviews. SOI (Sleep on it). Read them again SOI. Call them with questions. SOI. Call with more questions. SOI.

If it were me and I were in your personal position with your skills, I wouldn't write them off based only on these reviews.

Take a breath. Proceed slowly. :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions