So I think I've found my "good enough" job

This is the place for postings unrelated to action toward achieving dreams-- Emotions, World Events, Hobbies, Trivia & other important but not directly relevant matters. Muse, meditate, mope or ponder & enter other forums when you're ready to get moving.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: So I think I've found my "good enough" job

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Okay. I only read the complaints from the employees before I posted my first response. Now I went back and read some of the reviews from people who hired from this agency. I have the same problem with them that I had with the employees. I don't understand if you have someone who doesn't do their job, is on the phone all the time, says rude things, doesn't show up on time, etc, etc. etc. WHY THEY HECK DID THESE PEOPLE CONTINUE TO HAVE THESE UNACCEPTABLE WORKERS keep working for them? If they had a bad experience with one person from the agency, I can see being willing to try one more person. But if two people in a row are not acceptable, CHANGE AGENCIES!

I know it really sucks to have BOTH some employees and BOTH some employers have bad experiences. I can see your hesitation. Here's a big question. Does the agency itself have GOOD REVIEWS from people who have hired them? They should have some. Most businesses do. If they can't come up with any good reviews from anyone then of course you have to scrap the whole thing.

I know I've blah, blah, blahed, here but I tend to get riled up when people act...stupid! Like continuing to work for jerks or continuing to hire jerks when they're clearly not happy with them!

I'll stop griping now and I'm wishing you the best with this decision.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm back. Regina, you don't know me yet so a word of warning. Sometimes I get wound up. And then I post a lot. Please feel free to say
"INSPIRE --TAKE BREATH". I will not be offended. In fact it will be a good warning sign for me that I'm getting wound up.

Elaine, you know how I am so if I'm sounding wound up here feel free to say, "Whoa, Nellie".

I know I sound like a broken record with this certificate thing, but here's why. The type of "training" this kind of place is going to give you is going to be really bare bones -- absolute minimum. You can go on the job for them WITHOUT having to demonstrate FIRST, that you are competent. They're going to find out how you work by whether the clients complain or not. With a certificate, YOU WON'T GET A CERTIFICATE unless you demonstrate your competence FIRST. That's why you'd be able to work for better agencies for better pay and not be sent out on jobs that you have no skills or knowledge for.

I'm STILL not saying you shouldn't try this agency. It could be a good starting place for you especially if you're working on your certificate at the same time. I know. I used the "C" word again. :oops:

OKAY. I'll go pester someone else on some other thread!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:09 am

Inspire, your objective insight is precisely what I came to these boards for. Please don't beat yourself up for your blahblahblahs. It's extremely helpful to me to be able to sort these kinds of things out in my own head. And with my previous spotty job history, it's a pattern that I need to change if I ever want to stay gainfully employed and stay mentally healthy. So, I thank you for your ramblings. You're helping me in more ways than you may realize.

The company history is kind of hard to piece together. Apparently it was started in 2003. Better Business Bureau has no filed complaints on record, but I'm not so sure how reliable a source they are anymore with large, nationwide foundation-based companies such as this one. You'd think that if it were that bad, that there would be something on record showing as such, but I'm not so sure anymore as to the reliability and integrity of this reporting agency with regard to corporations that can pay to keep that kind of information quiet.

I'm also suspicious when I see government monies being hussled amongst corporate foundations. And this company indeed has a non-profit foundation tied to it. My spidey senses are already tingling.

That being said, I'm also thinking that the franchise model of business for managed care can only result in the worst possible outcome for both clients and employees. The franchise can only advertise the benefit of caring for seniors to it's employees, because the pay isn't much better than working fast food. They can't expect to attract actual certified, professional employees, because professionals already know their worth and have the luxury of looking elsewhere. Only people who are truly desperate for money (or are required by their state to have a job to maintain their enrollment in food, housing or healthcare assistance) would subject themselves to such dismal compensation. It's the same trap that unskilled labor finds themselves in when they work at big box stores such as Walmart and McDonalds. The people at the top of the food chain get the lion's share of the profit, while the dregs at the bottom get ground into submission with the worst jobs and assignments just to get by on their McJob. Clients pay $20-25 an hour for this kind of care, while the company pays the employees, at best, a little more than a dollar over minimum wage.

The question still remains...am I going to be ok with this, and will this kind of work environment be good for my current state of mind? At this point, I'm already sold on the benefit to me of caring for people who mean the world to me, which is an element I haven't had exclusively with previous employers. Do I have to stay with this employer indefinitely? Not at all. Might it be a good launching pad from which to develop a career as a freelance caregiver? Absolutely. I'm already watching youtube videos on proper CNA technique with using a gait belt, slide board, showering and ambulatory care, etc. If the agency won't train me properly, I'll be researching the best means I know of emergency training myself so that my client and I stay absolutely safe. It's just what I do.

I will be bringing up these concerns at my orientation today. I will need to know what's expected of me, and what things I legally can and cannot do because of my lack of certification. I'll also check into what it takes to get that sort of state certification so that I'm making myself more "marketable".

Ugh. This is so hard. I'm up at 4am, writing when I should be sleeping. So so much to think about.
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby reginamirus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Ok, so I think I now have a better perspective on this employer and where they're coming from. I did mention the reputation, and she acknowledged what's been said online about them. And she admitted that alot of it is indeed true, and that the corporation has taken some pretty aggressive means to improve on the model. No, it's not ideal, but they're now more stringent about who they hire, and they're now more accountable with following through on policy. Several of those sites were shut down and they rehauled alot of their procedures to assure that safety was emphasized. The site we have here is owned by an RN/BSA in nursing, and she has two franchises in the state, with neighboring counties. They do on site training, which I will be doing on Monday. I was very impressed with the documentation requirements, the manner of treatment and what would be expected of me in the position, so I feel alot better about that now.

The only sticking point with me currently is the healthcare coverage. What they offer is bare minimum as required by the Affordable Care Act, and I'm afraid it's not going to meet my needs for ongoing counseling. Pretty sure my medicaid is being shut off completely as I've taken on employment, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to cover payment for services rendered. I don't know what I'm going to do about that, to be quite honest. I can't just go back to avoiding counseling altogether, or I'm going to be right back in the same situation where I found myself a month ago. I'm going to have supplement my income...there's just no way around that.

Off to take a nap now. I didn't get much sleep last night.
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:51 pm

The information you got from the agency sounds excellent. I'm glad you're moving forward with this.

One step at a time. You have a job. It sounds better than all the scary reviews by the highly questionable complainers! You're ready to move forward with this company. The title of this thread is, "So I think I've found my "good enough" job. I do, too. And you've got a job in this field already!

As far as health insurance goes, that's another topic. One thing at a time.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'VE GOT A JOB IN YOUR PREFERRED FIELD!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I didn't read all the complaints, but most of them seem to be about the caregivers not doing a good job, and the company not replacing them with better employees. That's something you have control over, especially in the beginning when you'll be at your most eager to please.

There was one complaint from an employee who said he/she was stiffed (not paid overtime) and not properly trained. Since you're getting trained before you go to work, you'll see if there's any merit to that part of the complaint. As for the overtime, you'll see if that's true the first time you work overtime.

It is standard for the industry that the company gets paid around twice what the employee gets. That money goes toward your health insurance, administrative costs, social security, etc. Or at least that's what I saw when I was on the other end of care giving.

I didn't think it was a bad thing for care givers to sleep at night if the client was asleep. The caregiver just has to wake up right away if he/she needs to help the client. I could be wrong about this. Check it out. In nursing homes, no one rushes to help the residents every time they have a nightmare or want to go to the bathroom. Having in-home care is already a step above that.

It's a tough job, and it's tough on the client's family as well. $20 per hour adds up quickly.

I don't know what the situation is with health insurance for you. Are you saying that government insurance pays for therapy but the insurance you'll get when you're working won't?

In the end, it's your decision. You know more than you did a few days ago.

Hugs and prayers for you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Also, I'm under the impression that you need a job soon, or you will lose your home. If the situation is that you can afford your home with government assistance, but not if you go to work, then that's something else. In the long run, the decision is up to you. There's a lot that Inspire and I don't know, so please hear our input, but make up your mind on your own.

A couple more thoughts -

When you're care giving, you should help with chores, but there will probably be some free time for you. If you find you hate the job, you can use this time to write resumes and look for something better.

Also, when I found myself a single parent, my job gave me the same amount of money as I would have made on welfare. There was the obvious temptation to quit and go on welfare. At the time, I couldn't have told you why I chose to work. Looking back, I made the right decision. From that job, I got the experience I needed to advance to something MUCH better. I wouldn't have gotten my hazardous materials job, which I loved, if I had stayed home.

Good wishes to you, whatever you decide.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Counseling is usually billed based on what the client can afford. While in college, I decided to see a private counselor rather than see the social worker at the school. I had no job and no insurance, so they charged me a mere $15 (IIRC). (I was living off my savings at that time.)

It's just a wild guess that even the salary of the person you'll be reporting to is sadly low.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Therapy/Counseling. I was hesitant to go into this area because I didn't want you to be overloaded with both job and therapy at the same time. Since others are responding to that, I will, too. You can always choose not to read everything all at once.

SquarePeg's point about sliding scale is good because it's based on income. Since your income is going to be low, maybe sliding scale therapy would be affordable.

Check out colleges in your area that train therapists. I got really low fee therapy that way. The only downside was their training lasted 3 months and then I'd have to switch to a new therapist. But it was super cheap and they really were very helpful.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:I'm under the impression that you need a job soon, or you will lose your home.
Now that you're patching things up with your family, does that mean that housing isn't as critical at this point?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes, as far as I know. It's an oddball situation with my mother, who's been floating financially me for awhile, now. Neither of us is very communicative. And it's also been an issue with my self esteem being unable to find employment to help myself, which has compounded my depression/anxiety issues (and thus exacerbates my own isolation). From what I've gathered from other family members, I've shocked the hell out of everyone with checking myself into the county mental health board and asking for help, and as long as I continue going to counseling and treatment, my housing and transportation is safe until I can get on my feet and start paying my mother what I can from each paycheck.

Since I've been officially collecting unemployment, I've also qualified for state funded medicaid which allowed me to be entered into the system for services. Now that I'm officially gainfully employed, I'm not quite sure where I stand now with the medicaid, and the mental health services. The minimal coverage I will get at work will most definitely NOT cover mental health services. I know that county does adjust to sliding fee schedule, so I will have to check with them as to what I can do. It's all I CAN do, at this time. My not continuing with counseling is simply not an option for me right now. As a single person, I do not qualify for public assistance. And honestly, I'd much rather be in service, doing what it is that I love, even if it means having to take a veritable vow of poverty to do so. I'll just have to figure out how to supplement with other things, as best I can. I don't know what else I can do. I feel like I'm driving down a road right now in the dark with no headlights. I'm just going to have to have faith that dawn will emerge for me soon, and I'll have a better vantage of the road ahead of me.

Yikes. Sorry this is so dark. I just got back from a craft show peddling stained glass ornaments my kid's stepmom and I have made over the last few months. It's how every year, we fund christmas presents for the kids. :)
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

reginamirus wrote: ...checking myself into the county mental health board and asking for help
Good for you for taking care of yourself. It takes a lot of courage to do that. I'm proud of you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Medicaid is based on income. If your job keeps you in a low enough income bracket you should be able to continue getting medical help. I don't know how it works though, if you're also getting medical coverage through work. Something might cancel something else out.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 pm

I think I know the answer to one of the questions posted here. If the employees are so bad, why do these people keep hiring them?

When you hire someone and pay them $9 per hour, or whatever, you don't get the cream of the crop. So why do these people keep on hiring these bad employees? They probably don't have much choice. Remember the agency said there were about 90 caregivers for 130 jobs. (or something like that.) From the point of view of the relatives, the $20 per hour they pay adds up pretty quickly. Most of us love our parents and spouses, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

Hiring someone without going through an agency, is a possible solution, but then you don't get the screening and bonding that the agency provides. So for a lot of people there are no good answers.

For us, our family provides a lot of the care. We have two people whom we trust, and we take good care of them and try to treat them well and pay them well.

I hope you have a good experience, Reginamirus. Whatever happens, you'll have learned a lot.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm

I've been putting this off -- I don't know why. Maybe because it's mostly irrelevant.

We hired an aide for 12 hours per week for several weeks, four hours on Tuesday, four on Thursday, four on Saturday. It was indeed about $20 per hour, plus the mileage, if the aide drove the client anywhere. We needed my wife to stay off her feet for a while. But I don't think the medical condition would've worsened much without the "help".

We had two main "regulars." One enjoyed cooking, and she used the job to get used to the idea of working as an in-home chef, and/or coming into a home to give cooking classes. She was my wife's favorite; I guess she was mine, too, even though I wasn't thrilled with her. Unfortunately, we think she was responsible for the strep infection that my wife had to be hospitalized for.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Deep (or Shallow) Discussions