Librarians -- My Favorite Superheroes

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Librarians -- My Favorite Superheroes

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I came across a brilliant quote about librarians by Paula Poundstone and posted it in our place for quotes.

It happened at the same time we were discussing Repair Cafes.

So here's the question:

Do libraries subvert capitalism? If so, how are they able to survive? Why are they permitted to siphon away the economy?

Consider that libraries...
  • Offer to share books and other media (including computer software) to a community so that its members do not have to buy them. This even in the strict age of Digital Rights Management and End User License Agreements.
  • Lend museum passes, which allow members to enter such places free of charge.
  • Host such things as Repair Cafes, which allow patrons to keep using their broken goods rather than buy new (or used ones).
  • Provide opportunities to learn so that members do not have to pay for training.
  • Lend tools, small appliances and technology so that members don't have to buy or rent them.
  • Maintain a stock of heirloom and heritage seeds, despite agrobusiness' ultimate desire to be the sole source of all seed-based crop.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Librarians -- My Favorite Superheroes

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I'll just add a mention of the Haskell Free Library and Opera House which was built on the border of USA and Canada.

Americans and Canadians may enter and freely cross from one country to the other while inside.

But apparently, the governments may be cracking down.
https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Canada,_U. ... 27_library

Maybe we need to build libraries on our border with Mexico! ;)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby k8k8 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:15 am

very interesting thoughts

SquarePeg wrote:Why are they permitted to siphon away the economy?

excellent question i'm not sure if i have ever asked before. I don't know? maybe because they have always been underestimated? - I think that's what the PP quote you posted was saying?
k8k8
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I love libraries.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World