Weening our addiction to oil

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby Ideas-Man » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:11 am

Thanks for replying, Your wrong about hydrogen and you didn't listen to what I was saying. Did you go to the American Hydrogen Association? which is where I was saying there are a lot of hydrogen fuel cell and burning hydrogen converted cars - that already exist. My point was that regular people can and are converting their cars to hydrogen, like people are converting their cars to bio diesel, but everyone can produce their own hydrogen and not everyone can produce their own bio diesel, and Bio diesel still pollutes and hydrogen is zero emission. You're wrong about hydrogen only recently being viable. There were hydrogen electric cars in the 1800's, the capsule that went to the moon 46 years ago was powered on fuel cells, and the Space shuttle has been powered with fuel cells for the past 30 years. Any engineering issues that are still hurdles, would quickly be solved if we made implementing hydrogen a priority. We INVENTED nuclear bombs, and went to the moon and we are spending billions to go to Mars, all of which didn't exist before we did it. Hydrogen technology already exists, we're just not making it a priority to implement it. If we had applied NASA's knowledge of hydrogen to the whole nation in 1960 instead of going to the Moon, we would already have a hydrogen economy and our skies would be clear and thousands of people won't have died from air pollution (18,000 per year). And we wouldn't have to have wars for oil. Please see my page \"Going to the Earth, instead of Going to Mars or Back to the Moon\" http://www.ideastosavetheplanet.org/pag ... moon...php Also as I said on my website, \"Global Conversion to the Hydrogen Economy, fueled by Solar, Wind, and Water.\" http://www.ideastosavetheplanet.org/pag ... water..php It's totally unnecessary for Ford and GM to lay off thousands of people, because they could be hiring millions of people to build millions of hydrogen cars, for the USA and then the world, leading the way, instead of following Toyota or others. They both have proto-type cars just waiting to be mass produced. They just have to make it a priority to do so. I'm inviting the world to make fighting global warming by converting to zero emission hydrogen a personal, national, and global priority. Please see \"My Call to Greatness to the American People.\" http://www.ideastosavetheplanet.org/pag ... people.php where I'm inviting our generation to chose to be as great as our grandparents, by mobilizing to fight global warming and save the world again by converting the nation to hydrogen as the true defense of the nation. Yes, it's all about money. I would already be living in a zero emission disaster proof super adobe home and driving a zero emission hydrogen car, 6 years now, but I don't have the money. I'm on this forum to try and get some help with getting the money I need to go and live that way - so I can be an example to the world about how to live sustainably, and so people like you can take me more seriously, because I'd be able to say, \"I live in a house like that, here's the video.\" I'm doing what I can to make a difference, and I could be doing more if I had the help I need to go about doing it. So, if you know of anyway to help me get \"My Projects that could Save the Planet\" http://www.ideastosavetheplanet.org/pag ... planet.php manifested, please let me know. Thankx for listening.
Ideas-Man
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kdb » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:49 pm

I have always thought that our schools do a lousy job of teaching critical thinking and basic science knowledge. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. BARBARA SHER WRITES: KDB, what makes you think you can insult someone on this board? Don't do it again or I'll ask you to leave. This post reflects only on you. Will anyone who sees this kind of thing please bring it to my attention right away? I didn't hear about this for over a week.
kdb
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ideas-Man » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:32 am

It's not not necessary to be a rude ass----. I wasn't being rude to you. I didn't come here to be insulted or to argue and I don't feel that I was being insulting to you. I'm not going to waste anymore time talking to you. BARBARA SAYS: My apologies. I didn't know about this until now. You're completely right. No one should be insulted or baited on this board.
Last edited by Ideas-Man on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideas-Man
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kdb » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:07 pm

You can certainly judge a person's class by the way s/he writes. BARBARA SAYS: Yes, you can and this post is the witness. Don't ever do this again on this board.
kdb
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm

kdb wrote:I have always thought that our schools do a lousy job of teaching critical thinking and basic science knowledge. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
I commend the Ideas Man for making an effort. I think some of his ideas may work better in theory than in practice, but also think it is a low blow to resort to insulting him because you don't agree with him. Ideas Man, I like some of your ideas, but as I said on the other thread, there's more to it than the technology. There is the mass manufacturing of alternative energy and the politics that goes along with it.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

in our own small way

Postby vivsim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:15 am

I live in Phoenix, land of many bright yellow Hummers and big trucks. I tried walking to work for about 10 weeks and gave up, very dangerous even staying in the crosswalks. Hostile or unobservant drivers. I got a small car. Still though I have options. I could take the bus, or ride my bike with a helmet on (we have bike lanes). but right now we've had 117 degree days and I use my car. So this brings up the fact that a huge population in the desert shouldn't even exist, since we guzzle so much energy for our golf courses, fountains, huge vehicles, sprawled out developments, long commutes, air conditioning. We have Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant. I'm planning on moving to rural Northern Virginia!
vivsim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Weening our addiction to oil

Postby twisterintexas » Fri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm

It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, so I thought I'd bump it. Anyway, I recently bought a Volkswagen Jetta TDI (diesel). I found a local supplier of B100 biodiesel and now, I'll be completly gas free! The Jetta TDI also gets ca. 42-45 mpg. This is cool.
twisterintexas
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri May 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I've been walking to the train 4 days a week for months, now. I don't even hardly drive on the weekends (I walk, run or ride my bike). My car leaves the garage every 7 days. The monthly train ticket isn't super cheap, but we get subsidized at work. Very cool on the gas savings.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat May 24, 2008 8:14 am

I've been cutting my driving by about 20% for the past month, just because of the cost. I got really irritated the other day when I heard that the Japanese were able to drill closer to the cost of Florida than US oil companies. Apparently they are drilling in international waters, but US companies can't drill there because its too close to the beach and would hurt tourism if people on the beach could see an oil well in the ocean. I like the beach as much as anyone, but you can see pretty far over the horizon and a tower out several miles is less of a downer than a slum neighborhood a mile from the beach. I also heard this week that Ford was going to smaller vehicles. I'm convinced the car manufactuers and energy industry can do better. They have the technology, but won't use it until oil is non existant. Then they will use something else that they have a monopoly on. Electric cars can be made, but if they self generated the electricity or were recharged, there would be no windfall or need for an energy industry. When new patents come out they buy them up, not to use but to keep off the market and protect their monopoly.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 am

jcjm wrote:When new patents come out they buy them up, not to use but to keep off the market and protect their monopoly.
Maybe somewhat true, but the economic reality will win out eventually. Then, they can use their patents to create a new monopoly. No matter what happens, big business will capitalize on whatever they can make money on. The best thing to do is just avoid the dependence.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat May 24, 2008 2:36 pm

I saw something on TV last week in which someone (can't remember who) was interviewing a major auto maker CEO asked him when he'd be ready to manufacture cars that weren't oil depended. The CEO answered (this is from memory) "We're ready to produce electric cars, hybrids, the works. And we want to. But we can't get the go-ahead from the people backed by the oil companies. Go ask them when we'll be ready." He was smiling but he was obviously irritated, not with the interviewer but with the oil-controlled administration. Look what happened when California had an independent referendum on -- what was it, exhaust, or mileage or something. They got slammed down by the federal (think Bush-Cheney-Saudi Arabia) administration. And don't get your shorts in a knot about how we're not allowed to drill where the Japanese do by saying beaches aren't important, jcjm. Jeez. What kind of logic is that. Get the Japanese out of there! Don't complain on behalf of our oil companies. Complain on behalf of humans and the environment against *all* oil companies.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby velvet » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 pm

I sold my car on February 29, 2000. I've not really missed it. I walk, ride the bus (now free since I'm a student), take the train, and very rarely I rent a car. I've tried two of those car-sharing groups. I found them to be more expensive than I wanted to pay. It's a good idea, but a bit more expensive than I need. I rarely rent a car, 1-3 times a year. I carry my groceries home. That's the biggest challenge I face. It can be a bit exhausting, and I cant really put off errands very long because my need list can exceed what I can carry home. I take vacations by taking the train or plane and use buses in the new town. I found a great town where I can vacation without a car at all. It's fabulous. When friends bought cars in the past ten years, I asked them why they didnt buy a hybrid? that seemed like such an obvious choice. I'm still baffled that it wasnt even a priority to them. It seems so obvious, if I were to buy a car, I'd want a hybrid.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:52 am

I still haven't figured out this new system, so I will have to reference the quote a few posts back about the energy companies buying up the new ideas to keep them off the market. They won't use them until all the oil is gone and right now it is my belief energy people are trying to squeeze the public so they can get to drill in the arctic reserve. They want to do this while they still have 2 oil men (the pres and vp)in office. As far as the beaches, you can't get the Japaneese or anyone but Americans out of there because they are in international waters. So, if somone is going to get the oil anyway, why should the US be banned from doing it? There was an interesting fictional movie about the oil companies stealing the formula to convert shale to oil from the Germans in WW II. I think it was called "The Formula" and had George C Scott in it. Thought it was a conspiracy theory movie at the time but since then I have seen many things on the news like, the 50 mile carburator, solar, fuel cells, electric cars, wind, etc. that have either disappeared from sight or gone no where. The last time we had a major crunch in oil, the oil companies got the Alaska Pipeline and it is my belief they will keep squeezing the public like they did then. That is until they get what they want, the ability to drill in places that are now restricted. As far as alternatives, they will just keep buying the patents and burying them, to keep the monopoly they have. When the oil runs out, they will then use one of those patented ideas to create a new monopoly. You can bet it won't be something where you can run it on tap water or something else that you can get on your own. The only alternative is build your own car or buy a horse.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Doing Good in the World