I Think I Met an Angel

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Postby kashtanka » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:45 pm

I've been enjoying everyone's comments on this topic. Even though our beliefs may differ, we all agree to one thing: that it makes us feel great when someone unexpectantly does a kind thing for us. Just talking about this subject has stirred up my interest in doing good things for others. An8el, I don't see why people question your motives when you talk about things in your particular style. Personally, I enjoy hearing and reading what an enthusiastic person like you has to say...and I think people who are questioning your motives are missing out. On lots of things. Keep doing what you're doing, and don't let the negative people stop you.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SEOVivian » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:35 pm

what a lovely and touching story! can't believe this kind of people still exist, thanks god. so as you just said was an angel.
SEOVivian
New User
New User

Re: I Think I Met an Angel

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:35 pm

What made the whole situation angelic was, in this way, the people involved traded off the roles of helper and recipient so everyone could feel they had the capacity to both give and receive gracefully.
that sums it all up, doesn't it? giving and receiving with grace. :) i'm bookmarking this thread. i love living angels- and i've come to realize that the more often you notice them, the more often you get to meet them... and the more often you meet them, the more angelic you become yourself. i've always been one of those people who does the unconscious or unheralded little acts of kindness- they just come naturally. lately, though, the more aware i've become of others doing the same, the more aware i've become of those sad/angry/depressed or just disconnected people who seem like they could use a bit of quiet generosity, or a touch of grace in their day. it's so much FUN to make the world a better place, isn't it? :D :D
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 pm

and, in true kismet form, within an hour of posting that last bit, i stumbled upon (via 'Stumbleupon') this blog post from a particularly apropos blog:"HelpOthers.org" http://www.helpothers.org/story.php?sid=8461&start=10 i'm moved, too.
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Zaxy, I didn't see your post of Friday until today, sorry. I share your philosophy of helping others. One time I was being screened for volunteer mentoring work, and the guy asked me why I wanted to do it. I said "There is so much joy in my heart that I want to give some to others." It probably sounded corny to the guy, but I was accepted for doing the work. Thank you for sending that link. The story of the cabbie and his passanger was a fantastic example of helping others. I bet that cabbie was thinking that the passenger was an angel in disguise. I think everyone should look for opportunities to do small things for others. Thanks for commenting!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 pm

I love that story. Thanks.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby KyleM » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45 am

Did any of you see CNN's Heroes tribute last night? Talk about "angels" among us. It was truly inspiring and amazing, all these ordinary people doing extraordinary things in their communities around the world to help others. CNN is repeating it a few times this weekend. Do check it out if you have the chance - it's 2 hours. Bring Kleenex, though. Oprah also repeated her Pay It Forward show, where they gave each audience member $1000 on the condition that they find somebody worthy to give it to. Then cameras tracked the best ones and showed the results. Also very moving. Thanksgiving programming at its best! :D
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beth L » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 am

Kyle, I saw the Oprah Pay It Forward rerun and it was inspiring to see what people were able to accomplish with a little 'seed' money. In fact, one pair of sisters amassed an amazing $200k for their efforts, I believe to help a women's shelter. I'm so glad you mentioned the CNN Heroes program with Anderson Cooper. It repeats on Friday Nov. 28 at 10 pm ET, Sat. & Sun. at 8 pm ET. What a wonderful way to celebrate people who care in this world.
Beth LaMie Personal Historian, Author and Speaker Author of Granny's Guide to Fun & Fabulous Family Stories website: www.bethlamie.com Blog: http://onestoryatatime.blogspot.com/ Twitter: www.twitter.com/bethlamie
Beth L
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes, nothing like an anonymous donor to blow your mind. Something about getting a gift from a stranger that takes the obligation out of the gesture that inevitably comes with a gift made by someone known to you. A friend of mine had been visiting his sister and was traveling in Tennesee with his dog. He had gotten into a jam when a highway patrol had indicated to him that he needed to drive off the road to go around a new road block. My friend complied and his van hit a new sinkhole! As a mechanic, he had already used his allotment of AAA tows helping others out. So he was forced to pay a passing trucker $250. to get his van out of the hole - which was all the money he had left to be traveling with. He was calling people he knew for help, but I couldn't afford to donate at that point. So I gave him the address of two friends of mine. One of them luckily happened to live nearby. Later I found out that this friend of mine in Tennesee was about to leave town on a trip and had just been caught on the brink of leaving with the plight of my traveler friend. Instead of using the trip as an excuse to avoid involvement, he gave my traveling friend $250. This allowed the unfortunate traveler to get to the house of my other friends. He stayed on there for the summer, fixing all their ailing tractors and vehicles in exchange for a spot to make some money from fixing their friend's cars. Later on when I found out what had happened and offered to share some of the cost of getting my traveling friend out of the scrape he was in, my friend in Tennesee wouldn't accept my offer. He admitted that since he had actually made the gift to the dog, so no reimbursement was necessary.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ronstreed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Where I live its almost a set guideline, you hold doors open for each other. Male or female. We live in a small population area and wave tp each other often if we think we might know the vehicle. Sometimes we dont. I pick my mail up at the Post Office daily, so there's alot of holding doors open there.
ronstreed
New User
New User

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Ron, nice to see you on the board. Looking back at the incident, I would have to say that it was more than the door holding that made me think of him as an angel, as plenty of people hold doors open even in the large city I live in. Part of it was the fact that the man had a sweet and gentle countenance, and cared more about pitching in then taking a step back because of his fraility. Maybe a better explanation is that I felt the same way I do when I meet a "kindred soul". You just automatically know that you were meant to meet. Does that explain it a little better? Kathy
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby bobmorton » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Wow. Everyday in our lives we meet an angel who's just there in disguise and guide you in everything that you do. Very nice story, I hope someday I will meet also an angel, even an angel without wings but with a good heart like this elderly man.

Bob M.
bobmorton
New User
New User

Re:

Postby domnicrichmond » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:27 am

[quote="dani"]What a lovely experience! I believe that angels come in human form. That means that there are some people we encounter in our lives who are so terrific that they seem like angels. But they really are human beings with tremendous souls.[/
i think i meet an engle
domnicrichmond
New User
New User

Postby An8el » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Engel or Engle means angel in Danish and German - doesn't it?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Doing Good in the World