Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

Postby Mogget » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:48 am

I am not interested in marching in rallies, and at the moment I am not available to give my time to charities and social activism programs. I have little to no interest in politics either o a global or local (Australian) scale... Yet for all this I would like to make the world a better place. Anyone have any tips, online groups or starting points where I can make difference by, for example; writing letters, signing petitions, knitting or sewing garments, taking part in communal art projects, etc etc. I am the first to admit that my priorities are selfish. I like my spare time, and my comfortable life. But I am willing to contribute where I can do so at my convenience, and I am told that every little bit helps....
Last edited by Mogget on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 am

What problem do you see locally that you want to tackle? Is there a park that needs cleaned up or a stream? Is there a way to recycle platic and glass and metal? I am currently working on orgainzing an electronics event for the greater Des Moines community. It'a slow-going but I haven't given up. Do school kids have all the school supplies they need? If not can you organize a collection drive? Just keep your eyes open and walk around your area. Find stuff that bugs you and that makes you want to say "Somebody whould do something about this!" Then translate that into a project that says "I can do this". Warning: It's never as simple as it sounds. My one-time electronics event sounds simple on the surface but the devil is in the details. Do your research and educate yourself on the problem and on what other people are doing to solve it. Then be persistent and DON'T GIVE UP. Le us know what you come up with and we'll brainstorm with you for creative solutions.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tyretiredwave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Terri Dogs have masters, cats have staff
tyretiredwave
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mogget » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... Prompted by the recommended websites I had a look at some local (Australian) volunteer opportunities - so far nothing has appealed to me and usually demands flexibility of hours unavailable to folks who work full time and don't drive. I'm really looking for stuff I can do from home. In whatever spare time I find myself with. The truth is I don't like attending groups and feel I am NOT politically/socially "outraged" or "inspired" enough to fit into organized social activism.... I find all the well intentioned earnestness a bit embarrassing to be honest. I'm sure if I had kids I would be involved in various school activities (bakes, crafts, fete's and so on) - but I don't have kids, don't particularly like kids or WANT to be involved with them. I'm not part of a church or any community group that might organize this sort of thing. I'm very solitary and stay at home... Hence looking for DIY single person at home types of things. To put in perspective, I have: written letters, signed petitions, made/knitted children's clothes/blankets, made Holiday Greeting cards, collected shopping dockets and milk bottle tops for schools, donated blankets etc to animal shelters. I can still do any or all of these things... I'm just looking to expand my repertoire.
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby butterfly » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:18 pm

Check out http://www.dosomething.org as they have lots of ideas categorized by causes, or you can peruse projects others have done and see if anything fits for you. Also, http://www.one.org has some ideas you may be interested in. They are American sites, but most ideas could fit for anywhere. Also, are you interested in on-line volunteering? If so, here are some places to do that: UN - http://www.onlinevolunteering.org/ NABURR, the global neighbour network - http://www.nabuur.com/modules/homepage/home.php InterConnection - http://www.interconnection.org/ VolunteerMatch - http://www.volunteermatch.org/opportunities/virtual.jsp Please let us know what you end up doing because you can be an inspiration to others!
Merna http://www.impactwithheart.com- live a life of meaning
butterfly
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:39 am

Do you like to walk or hike? If there is a special place you like to go, take a garbage bag with you and collect trash. (Hint: walk out to the farthest point and then collect trash as you walk back, that way you're not haulng stuff out AND back) This is a small thing, bt can make a big difference, especially over time. We have one guy here in our neighborhood who picks up stuff on his morning walk everyday. There's not a lot around here, but it's really nice not to see discarded drink cups and McDonald's wrappers flapping around. I'm assuming of sourse that Australians are as big a litterbugs as Americans, dropping stuff anywhere. I was just in England, Scotland and Wales and pleasantly suprised to find everything, including London, very clean, no trash around.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:28 pm

urbanpioneer wrote:Do you like to walk or hike? If there is a special place you like to go, take a garbage bag with you and collect trash. (Hint: walk out to the farthest point and then collect trash as you walk back, that way you're not haulng stuff out AND back) This is a small thing, bt can make a big difference, especially over time. We have one guy here in our neighborhood who picks up stuff on his morning walk everyday. There's not a lot around here, but it's really nice not to see discarded drink cups and McDonald's wrappers flapping around. I'm assuming of sourse that Australians are as big a litterbugs as Americans, dropping stuff anywhere. I was just in England, Scotland and Wales and pleasantly suprised to find everything, including London, very clean, no trash around.
Nice idea - I live in a pretty dodgy part of town and there is a fair amount of litter around - If I just take a bag with me I can pick up and dispose of whatever I pass when I'm out and about.
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby alwen » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:11 am

A couple of years ago I was taking my son to a certain park every week in the summer. In the summer evenings, teenagers would hang out in the park and just trash it. So I got in the habit of bringing a bag, and while my son played, I would walk around and pick up junk food wrappers, drink bottles and caps and rings, and so on. We haven't gone to that park much this summer, and I can tell you, it misses me and my weekly un-trashing visits! If somebody else was picking up there, I would certainly notice and appreciate it.
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Here is another site. http://www.1-800-volunteer.org/1800Vol/ ... xAction.do Like some of the other sites I think it's in America but there may be something like it where you live. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby dolina » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Sometimes all the good we need to do is to listen and offer support and hope. May be you could search for lonely, sick, disabled, or depressed people around the globe (or in your area) who need emotional support; and connect with them through emails and chats. That would help raise their spirits. For some people, it could even become the reason they wake up for everyday. You can place an ad on the net about your service or look for them in online groups. You could also check an organization like Befriends (I don't know if they exist in Australia). As a befriends volunteer, you receive calls from people who need help and support, which you do over the phone. They basically call you when they need you. You could even start something like this on your own. Just be there for people to call, email or chat with you when they need someone to talk to. You could also join online groups where you can bridge gaps and improve understanding between cultures. You would be naturally joining in world's peace. You can also go on a smaller scale, offer that kind of support to someone in particular around you, or to everybody you meet in your everyday life :)
dolina
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ebrazley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 am

Hi Mogget, I smiled when I read your post because you are just like me. What actually helped me with this problem was an old sci-fi book I read some years ago. There was a very minor character (not of great statue or of any importance) who was very depressed because he could not do anything humongous (like his hero friends) to save the world. He ran into a God (in disguise) which gave him this advice: "There are people in this world that are meant to do 'big' things, and there are people in this world meant to do "'Little" things. "They are both equally important." So I'm thinking some things you can do is go to the Wishes/obstacles forum on this board and start helping others with solutions to their problems, or let someone cut in front of you that needs to when you're driving, or when you're in line waiting for something maybe let someone who is in a bigger hurry than you are get in front of you. These are all little things, but all add up in the overall scheme of things. The next time you hear about a family that lost everything because of some disaster send them a contribution (anonymously). Call up a public school and find out what kid needs books and buy those books for them without letting them know who their guardian angel is. There are so many small things you can do to make a difference. Hope this helps.
ebrazley
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:55 am

"Anyone who thinks they are too small to make a difference has never been in bed with a mosquito" Mark Twain, I think
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

great responses

Postby tapit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm

These responses are terrific. I wrote a book 20 years ago called "Saving the World from Your Home" which talked specifically about what you can do without going out to rallies, etc. The amazing thing is that the whole job of changing your world has gotten incredibly easier since then, as these suggestions show. Here's an observation- you may say you're too selfish to do anything, but the fact that you're even considering working to make the world a bit more livable and humane says quite the opposite! One suggestion I might make- if you make a site like thehungersite.com your home page, then click on the tab first thing when you log on, you've already done something for the world! A great way to start the day... Best of luck.
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

Postby lkindr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Hey. A little thing that any of you are welcome to do is give me ideas at my new thread [for an Idea Party] called Responsible World Coop at http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21087&p=202650#p202650 Or do something similar at someone else's idea party. Aloha. Lloyd
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

Postby Takeachance » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm

I too looked around for something that allows me to give of my time and talent without getting any fanfare, which I like. I teach Spanish as a second language in a school about 5 miles from my home. I teach adult students, one a week for 1 1/2 hours. They are so very willing to learn, and it fills me with a great sense of satisfaction that I am helping, in a small way, to better the world! :D
Takeachance
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Doing Good in the World